Airfix 1/72 B17G (RAF MKIII). I've deleted the pictures by mistake!

Hi everyone

After completing my Typhoon and the false restart on my Halifax (which has been consigned to the draw of oblivion for now :waiting:) I wanted a 4 engined WW2 RAF bomber in my collection. So out came the B17. I asked my wife if I could get some bits and pieces from Hannants to give it a boost and her answer was and I quote "Of cause you can, so you want to pimp out another plane eh" Too much Fast N Loud I think, Bless her! So last night I spent 30 minutes on the Hannants site and I ordered some bits and bobs which should be here shortly.

I want to finish the plane as a MKIII which I know didn't have the chin turret does anybody know if there is a conversion for the Airfix kit?

The markings I will use are either B-17 Mk.III 'Give it to Uncle' 214 RCM Unit 100 Group or B-17 Mk.III 'Keflavic Cutie' (FA712, AD-C) 251 Met Sqn, Reykjavik RAF Coastal Command, late 1944, both on the Kitsworld (KW172134) sheet.

Laters

Iain

• Like 4

Iain,

FA172 Keflavic Cutie can't be used as it is an earlier B-17, would need to check if it is a Mk.II or Mk.IIa as I can't remember off the top of my head (Mk.IIa = B-17E and Mk.II = B-17F, go figure!). You'd also need to check which sub-variant of B-17G 'Uncle' was, as this will determine whether the Airfix kit is suitable. There were several changes introduced during B-17G production construction, including tail turrets, waist gun positions and various others.

Two books I'd recommend for RAF B-17 use, Robert Stitt's tome which pretty much covers everything you need to know about their use within Coastal Command and Martin Streetley's  'The Aircraft of 100 Group' which includes a wealth of detail on RCM Fortress IIIs.

If no-one else chimes in with anything, drop me a PM with any questions and I'll have look through those books for you and see if I can answer them for you.

Regards,

Mark.

7 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Iain,

FA172 Keflavic Cutie can't be used as it is an earlier B-17, would need to check if it is a Mk.II or Mk.IIa as I can't remember off the top of my head (Mk.IIa = B-17E and Mk.II = B-17F, go figure!). You'd also need to check which sub-variant of B-17G 'Uncle' was, as this will determine whether the Airfix kit is suitable. There were several changes introduced during B-17G production construction, including tail turrets, waist gun positions and various others.

Two books I'd recommend for RAF B-17 use, Robert Stitt's tome which pretty much covers everything you need to know about their use within Coastal Command and Martin Streetley's  'The Aircraft of 100 Group' which includes a wealth of detail on RCM Fortress IIIs.

If no-one else chimes in with anything, drop me a PM with any questions and I'll have look through those books for you and see if I can answer them for you.

Regards,

Mark.

Hi Mark

Thanks fort the input mate. You've made up my mind on which B17 I'll finish the model as. I'm going to opt for a 214 Sqn machine utilising whats in the B17G box, I can't justify spending another 30 quid or so on another kit, my wife is very tolerant of my hobby but not that tolerant! I'll keep your offer of information in mind, thanks :yes:

7 hours ago, bbudde said:

I'm getting me in here. A B-17 is always good to watch at, although I cannot comment anything on that specific plane. Photos are always the best reference, It guess. Cheers

Cheers mate!

7 hours ago, IanC said:

I couldn't justify buying it, my wife would go ballistic, although shes happy for me to buy aftermarket for a kit I already have.

Iain

Hi everyone

I'm going to build my B17 with what comes in the box...

P1030890_zpsh51gm5bv.jpg

P1030889_zps6zna6zns.jpg

...To represent a 214 Sqn machine.

Aircraft_Fortress_MK3_zpshks8hc3y.jpg

I'm not a rivet counter so as long as she looks something like a RAF B17 MKIII I'll be very happy.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 14

Iain,

'Take It Easy' is perfect for the Airfix kit, it's one of the decal options in the upcoming Mk.III release of this kit. Have a look at Tony O'Toole's recent build for a lot of info and tips regarding this particular aircraft and the Airfix kit itself. Look forward to seeing your build progressing!

Regards,

Mark.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Val said:

Best of luck, Iain!

Cheers mate!

4 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Iain,

'Take It Easy' is perfect for the Airfix kit, it's one of the decal options in the upcoming Mk.III release of this kit. Have a look at Tony O'Toole's recent build for a lot of info and tips regarding this particular aircraft and the Airfix kit itself. Look forward to seeing your build progressing!

Regards,

Mark.

Hey Mark

Thanks for your guidance mate. I'll check out the Tony O'Toole build.

Laters

Iain

• Like 2

Hi Iain, 

looking forward to seeing how you do deal with the kit and whether you have similar experiences as myself with it. 

I'm going to follow along if you don't mind? 

Cheers

• Like 1

On 30/01/2017 at 6:37 PM, Antb said:

Hi Iain, 

looking forward to seeing how you do deal with the kit and whether you have similar experiences as myself with it. 

I'm going to follow along if you don't mind? 

Cheers

Be my guest mate.

ive not done a huge amount at the moment, I've been doing more research than anything else - oh those interior colours! 

Hopefully I should have a parcel from hannants tomorrow with a few Eduard goodies so I may have some pictures to post?

Until then it's good night from me and it's good night from him. 

Iain.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I have a small update for you. The build so far has gone relatively easily with no major problems with the kit. I've only completed the cockpit area, bomb bay, radio compartment and rear of the bomber but as a say its gone ok. The only problem I encountered was with the Eduard PE for the cockpit, the main instrument panel once fitted fowled with the throttle pedestal so I took it off and replaced it with the kits decal and the instructions have some of the main kit parts upside down? 

For the interior paint colours I did a lot of research  this site a few other forums and the internet and I concluded that the main colours are aluminium for the majority of the interior with the cockpit being the only painted area which I painted Bronze green and black. Oh and I painted the table in the radio compartment to try and simulate wood...

P1030898_zpscdp4xsrw.jpg

P1030897_zps3sgzizsy.jpg

P1030896_zpshuptfgmr.jpg

P1030895_zpstsea5hzi.jpg

I want to display her with the bomb bay doors open to let in more light so I'm going to scratch a Jostle transmitter just to fill the gap..

P1030899_zps9ddcrfpg.jpg

Well that's that.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 8

Hi Iain 

looks great so far. The PE really makes the cockpit look the business. 

Are you adding the bombs to the rack or rack or leaving them out? 

Cheers

5 hours ago, Antb said:

Hi Iain 

looks great so far. The PE really makes the cockpit look the business. 

Are you adding the bombs to the rack or rack or leaving them out? 

Cheers

Hey Ant

no I'm not gonna add the bombs. I'll put the jostle txer in the port side of the bomb bay but leave the rest empty.

cheers

iain

14 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hey Ant

no I'm not gonna add the bombs. I'll put the jostle txer in the port side of the bomb bay but leave the rest empty.

cheers

iain

I didn't add mine in either after my issue getting them to fit. 

Lookimg forward to seeing the rest of the build as it unfolds mate. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Just a quick one. I've changed the interior colours of the 17 and added the Jostle transmitter to the bombay..

Gotta dash taking the boy flying from Newquay this morning..

P1030900_Fotor_zpsvsecjjci.jpg

P1030902_Fotor_zpsssccc1r1.jpg

and the Jostle txer..

P1030904_Fotor_zpsihjgwfbl.jpg

Catch you all later

Iain

• Like 12

Looking really good - the Jostle transmitter really looks the part.

And you're quite right regarding interior colours. The only painted area in the B-17 was the flightdeck (bronze green for exposed metal areas and olive green padding for the sidewalls) with all other areas being left in natural metal. 

Tom

• Like 1

This is coming along really well, love the Jostle too,...... looking forward to following the rest of your build, Having recently built a model of the very same aircraft, I`m sure you`ll love it as the quality is excellent.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

2 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Looking really good - the Jostle transmitter really looks the part.

And you're quite right regarding interior colours. The only painted area in the B-17 was the flightdeck (bronze green for exposed metal areas and olive green padding for the sidewalls) with all other areas being left in natural metal. 

Tom

Hey Tom

Thanks mate. the interior colours can be quite a conundrum. I'll be leaving everything else in the fuselage natural metal (except the ammo boxes) and maybe do a little weathering (but not too much) great work on you 1/32 Shackleton BTW

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

This is coming along really well, love the Jostle too,...... looking forward to following the rest of your build, Having recently built a model of the very same aircraft, I`m sure you`ll love it as the quality is excellent.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks mate the Jostle txer is just an old 1/48 scale bomb cut down with a couple of blanks added either end nothing to clever. TBH it was your build using this very kit that got me interested in building a Mk III and so far it has been a rather nice experience. I just wish I had more time on my hands to enable me to really get on with it. My plan for the weekend is to get the fuselage halves together at the very least.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I trust you evening is going well?

I'm nearly at point where I can button up the fuselage on the B17...

32863156632_bc7f52e107_b.jpg

32173678104_d1b11ce36b_b.jpg

32863160232_22ce0e41bc_b.jpg

32173680164_9a086e06ae_b.jpg

32173682114_71f7c35363_b.jpg

32863168132_7e3938e8cc_b.jpg

32173683984_20dc9b2db2_b.jpg

...Its been an enjoyable build so far. Over the next few days I'll concentrate on all the large components so I can carry on with the more interesting bits and pieces.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just a real small update for you (its not really an update its just to show that I am still about :D)

33534578545_7ffc56b5ca_b.jpg

33493347456_709c766f83_b.jpg

33534581985_f4ac1479f5_b.jpg

33534585425_573621f119_b.jpg

32719849813_3cc21d6401_b.jpg

33493344276_fc18ac77bd_b.jpg

Like I said the post is just to show that I am still about. The Airfix B17 BTW is a great kit, goes together well and it sure looks like a B17. I still have some bits and pieces to add to the fuselage to make look like a MK III but thats for another time.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 6