Airfix 1/72 B17G (RAF MKIII). I've deleted the pictures by mistake!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I have some paint on the old girl.

33938129015_d1b171c72f_b.jpg

33938148435_bba6440842_b.jpg

33553178350_33805eb9a1_b.jpg

33094750664_c85fe89e5a_b.jpg

33094601804_07a2c0217d_b.jpg

I've literally just removed the masking tape and blutac and all in all its gone pretty well. There are a few touch ups needed especially around the wind deflectors on the gunners positions and on the black that I've managed to catch with my finger nail removing the tape but I'm happy. Tomorrow I'll carry out said touch ups and then put her to one side to cure for a couple of days. In the mean time I'll work on the engines and my Hawker Tempest.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 11

Hiya Ian,......I`m sorry to say but your camo doesn`t look right, in the photo it almost looks like Slate Grey and mid green! It should be Dark Green and Dark Earth. It would be a shame to spoil such a lovely build with the wrong camo mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Tony

It does look a little peculiar in the photos but that's down to the auto correction on my photo editing software in the flesh she is Vallejo dark green 012 and dark earth 029 and Tamiya NATO black for the black bits.

Once I've carried out the touch ups I'll take some pictures in natural light and hopefully the colours will be more apparent.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

I just caught up with this Iain. Airfix have captured the look beautifully haven't they?

Nice neat modelling here from you :). The interior is great; I like the little chair in the aft compartment :thumbsup2: .

It looks like you've enjoyed building this. I have a similar (and understandable) challenge with Mrs. T and large/new purchases. The only B-17 I have is an ancient FROG one :blink::o. I think it is going to have to be, in your good lady's words, very 'pimped out' indeed!

Meanwhile, thanks for sharing this inspiring build.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I just caught up with this Iain. Airfix have captured the look beautifully haven't they?

Nice neat modelling here from you :). The interior is great; I like the little chair in the aft compartment :thumbsup2: .

It looks like you've enjoyed building this. I have a similar (and understandable) challenge with Mrs. T and large/new purchases. The only B-17 I have is an ancient FROG one :blink::o. I think it is going to have to be, in your good lady's words, very 'pimped out' indeed!

Meanwhile, thanks for sharing this inspiring build.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Hi Tony

Thanks mate. Yeah she sure does look like a B17, Airfix have done a great job with it and it goes together relatively easily but boy it's surprisingly big when put together! 

My wife is pretty awesome when it comes to my hobby, she basically let's me get what I want (within reason) coz she's knows it will keep me quiet for an hour or so. I've just bought the Special Hobby Tempest II, Kittyhawk P39 and Fly Hurricane Mk IId which will all be finished as RAF machines, I've made a Start on the Tempest and that is proving to be a lovely kit.

Thanks for the very kind words and interest.

Iain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hi Tony

It does look a little peculiar in the photos but that's down to the auto correction on my photo editing software in the flesh she is Vallejo dark green 012 and dark earth 029 and Tamiya NATO black for the black bits.

Once I've carried out the touch ups I'll take some pictures in natural light and hopefully the colours will be more apparent.

Cheers

Iain

Hiya Iain,....  thought that might be the case and I`m relieved to hear it as the paintwork is lovely,......sorry for mentioning it mate.

Cheers

Tony 

Hi Tony

absolutely not a problem fella. Once I've done all the tidying up of the paint work I'll take advantage of the settled weather and snap some shots in natural light.

cheers

iain

• 2 weeks later...

Oooooh. Me likee.

They didn't have black, 1" wide walkway lines on the wing uppers did they? Thought it might add a touch more visual interest to the wing uppers, but i honestly don't know RAF B-17s at all.

-d-

• Like 1

looks great  :)  still find it strange looking at a B-17 with British Camo pattern, watching B-17 builds gives me itchy fingers to start mine lol

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, David H said:

Oooooh. Me likee.

They didn't have black, 1" wide walkway lines on the wing uppers did they? Thought it might add a touch more visual interest to the wing uppers, but i honestly don't know RAF B-17s at all.

-d-

You know what I don't know, I'll do a little research on that one.

Iain

Hi Iain, that looks absolutely great mate! Cracking job so far. 

Looking forward to seeing her done in all her glory 

• Like 1

Hey Ant

Thanks mate. I reckon I have another week on her, not lots to do but enough. I've just given her a coat of Semi Matt varnish and I've carried out a little chipping on the engine cowlings. I'm going to redo the prop tips in yellow and scratch the antennas for the Jostle transmitter and receiver plus all the other antennas that covered the airplane which hopefully shouldn't be that difficult to replicate, plus I'll make a start on the Browning M2's and finish off the undercarriage..

...Thats all for next week

Cheers

Iain

3 hours ago, David H said:

Oooooh. Me likee.

-d-

From what I've can gather no they didn't have the walkways on the upper wings but for interest I'll give em some staining and general weathering that should do the job 👍

Iain

Wasson

A bit of a nightmare few hours this evening. I started on the antennas for the Jostle txer and that went rather well, however during the painting of the antenna I dropped the B17 breaking off the wing spars, several bits of glazing, the upper turret and the antenna - not blummin happy - at all 😤😖

Deep breath, put it down and fix tomorrow 

Iain

9 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Wasson

A bit of a nightmare few hours this evening. I started on the antennas for the Jostle txer and that went rather well, however during the painting of the antenna I dropped the B17 breaking off the wing spars, several bits of glazing, the upper turret and the antenna - not blummin happy - at all 😤😖

Iain

I hope you manage to fix it up because it is (or was) looking really smart.

9 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Wasson

Iain

10 minutes ago, Beard said:

Hiya Beard

Hopefully she should be fine, the biggest bit of damage was to the wing spar which has snapped off (I reset it last night so it will have plenty of time to cure) and the glazing and upper turret etc should all be easy fixes ill just scrape away the old white glue and reattach em. I'm glad I held back from attaching the wings coz I think it would've sustained more damage, so all in all I've been lucky really.

Cheers mate

Iain

• Like 1

Hiya Iain, 

fingers crossed for you mate, hope the damage isn't too bad. 

Gutting when it happens.