G'day people,

I cracked the bags on this one a few days ago,

DSCN4076_zpshawihugc.jpg

The story so far,

Holes drilled out for the sticky-out bits

DSCN4077_zpsutfgyn9s.jpg

Filling in the sticky-in bits

DSCN4078_zpsaddfvo0k.jpg

I used some CA and accelerator. After about 20mins sanding these ejector pin marks were sorted. Note that the blanking plug for the aft right cabin window has been fitted as well.

DSCN4082_zpsnkklnin9.jpg

The first bits of PE have been applied

DSCN4079_zpsix5ejfk2.jpg

DSCN4080_zpse9c4x7g8.jpg

DSCN4081_zpsgypj5bzs.jpg

Dry fitting has not turned up any issues so far,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 9

Hi Pappy, I have one of these on the go with the same PE. The fit of the kit itself is excellent - you'll probably find you need to fettle the fit of the RHS pilot's seat though, the protruding PE interferes with it somewhat (more noticable on the HAR.3 but still caused a minor issue on the HC.4)

42 minutes ago, Ragtag said:

Hi Pappy, I have one of these on the go with the same PE. The fit of the kit itself is excellent - you'll probably find you need to fettle the fit of the RHS pilot's seat though, the protruding PE interferes with it somewhat (more noticable on the HAR.3 but still caused a minor issue on the HC.4)

G'day Ragtag,

Thanks for the heads up. The cable loom PE detail sits proud and fouls the rear of the angled seat frame.I already twigged to the issue (that is one reason why the pilots seat frame is not yet fitted), I ended up cutting a notch into the base of the angled seat frame as well as thinning the base of the 'tongue' portion that slips into the slot in front of the bulkhead.

4 minutes ago, Rodders154 said:

I love this kit counted up this and the Mk3 kits I have and found I had 7 togeather with 5 Revell so you could say I like seakings.I have never used PE on this kit so am looking forward to how you get on.   Rodders

G'day Rodders,

I have a couple of the Revell Sea Kings in my stash, so I know where you are coming from. The PE seems to be behaving so far,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

I'd advise fitting the frame and seat together for the RHS pilot as the box & panel next to the cable loom also fouls the headrest of the seat - you might find that you get the frame in the right place then the seat won't fit.

On 29/01/2017 at 8:06 PM, Ragtag said:

I'd advise fitting the frame and seat together for the RHS pilot as the box & panel next to the cable loom also fouls the headrest of the seat - you might find that you get the frame in the right place then the seat won't fit.

Thanks. My test fitting indicates it is a tight fit, but it fits

On 29/01/2017 at 9:56 PM, Crossofiron1971 said:

Lovely work sir!

Cheers,

G'day people,

A little further along.

The cabin and cockpit got a splash of paint

DSCN4087_zpsncrzzhn8.jpg

DSCN4088_zpsf3lruv3l.jpg

The drivers seats added

DSCN4083_zpsfdkjww82.jpg

DSCN4084_zpsjrdihetp.jpg

DSCN4086_zpsblrrdqpz.jpg

As Ragtag mentionioned, the PE details added to the cockpit bulkhead alter the fit of the pilot's seat support frame, but with some modification it fits - just. Airfix have captured the shape of the armored seats well, however they are missing the seat survival packs. I used some scrap plastic sanded to shape to represent the survival packs.

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 10

Coming along nicely Pappy - I didn't bother with PSPs for my HC.4 but I have made some for my HU.5.

The black looks rather good - what shade is it? Also if you don't mind sharing I'm curious how you did the wearing of the non-slip in the cabin? Very effective yet also subtle :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Ragtag said:

Coming along nicely Pappy - I didn't bother with PSPs for my HC.4 but I have made some for my HU.5.

The black looks rather good - what shade is it? Also if you don't mind sharing I'm curious how you did the wearing of the non-slip in the cabin? Very effective yet also subtle :thumbsup:

I thought that the seat pans just looked too empty without the PSPs. I just used some matt black and dry brushed it with some light grey. I painted on some small scratches here and there with dark grey (silver was too bright) and then gave a light dusting with a light brown pastel applied with a soft brush

9 hours ago, Beefy said:

Impressive build and paint job so far. Can't wait to see the rest of the build and the finished results. I think seeing the progress so far it will be fantastic.

Thanks Beefy

7 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Oh well, time to sell my 2 HC.4s :D

But seriously Pappy, nice start. Which PE set are you using? Detail looks great. Also how did you get the walkway effect in the main cabin?

:thumbsup:

see above

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Great start!

Martian

cheers Martian,

G'day people,

More PE antics. First up, the overhead panel

DSCN4092_zpsu7ezmmlc.jpg

Next the main instrument panel

DSCN4089_zpsljeo17hx.jpg

DSCN4090_zpssucezmxd.jpg

DSCN4096_zpscuzvdbps.jpg

DSCN4095_zpsadnyypxo.jpg

I am not a fan of the pre-painted PE normally, but in this scale it really does make a massive difference. Although the kit decals are very nicely printed, I think they look a little too garish in this scale. The printed PE looks busy but also muted.

The cabin bulkhead details were given an oil wash and subtle drybrush followed by some light chipping using a fine paintbrush

DSCN4094_zpsnfsvwksu.jpg

Most of the cabin floor will not be readily visible even with the  doors open so i did not go nuts with the weathering here

I also started assembling some of the external sub assemblies. The dust filter is completely devoid of any surface detail. Airfix provide some decals to represent the external details which is a bit disappointing given how nice the rest of the detail is. Fortunately I had some PE to hand to remedy the problem,

DSCN4110_zpsscsjkaiv.jpg

I also opened the outlets on either side as per my refs

DSCN4099_zpsal7od4sv.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 7

Ooooh! Pappy good start to the build with all that PE detail. I've two of these in the stash, esxactly when I 'll get arounfd to them is another matter. Great painting too, I'll be following your build.

Colin

Its a bit spooky how your builds seem to match those I have slated for the not so distant future. :hmmm:Have you been at my stash again?

Martian

13 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Ooooh! Pappy good start to the build with all that PE detail. I've two of these in the stash, esxactly when I 'll get arounfd to them is another matter. Great painting too, I'll be following your build.

Colin

Welcome aboard Colin

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Its a bit spooky how your builds seem to match those I have slated for the not so distant future. :hmmm:Have you been at my stash again?

Martian

Well they say that great minds think alike (but idiots never differ)

9 hours ago, wasacop said:

Looking very nice Pappy! I've not long finished the same build with the same pe! It's a lovely kit just don't torture yourself with the striped one like I did!!

Airfix Sea King HC4

That did turn out very nice, congrats

G'day people,

The addition of the cabin seating just about completes the interior

DSCN4100_zpsbxngl4tx.jpg

DSCN4101_zpsz9b9vuwt.jpg

Airfix have very thoughtfully provided a cabin roof to blank off the cavity that is very visible with the cabin doors open. I added a small PE grille to this before it was installed into the right fuselage as the access would be a lot more difficult once the fuselage halves were closed

DSCN4105_zpshpaqxzlh.jpg

More PE goodness followed in the form of the left cabin entry door which completely replaces (and outclasses!) the kit part

DSCN4109_zps1p3qpye9.jpg

The kit is provided with both early and later ECM/ESM countermeasure fits for the nose on part F12.. The lower pair of boxes are moulded in place and the larger boxes are designed to slip over these. I want to backdate my bird and although the instructions make no mention of these earlier boxes, they are are included as parts F22  and F23. I used these items in lieu of parts  F17 and F18. I guess this means that Airfix may release another version of the HC.4 at some point down the track.

DSCN4093_zpsc5dhcxyf.jpg

Whilst checking the references, I noticed that I also need to cut off a small square that is molded onto part F12 which required the resulting hole to be filled. Of course it was at this point that I noticed that two countermeasures boxes (F31,F32) that I had previously fitted to the lower fuselage were of a later type and would also require removal!

DSCN4098_zpszsshkbts.jpg

Always check your references!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Nicely done Pappy, I shall be making notes for when I build mine (and despite wasacop's advice I shall go for the white stripes :worry:

Go for it Bigdave! I must admit i was expecting a lot of grief with the masking of the stripes, but it wasn't that bad once i'd got a plan etc sorted. 

Pappy I would fill the holes you've drilled under the main door as the replacement Commando Step has nothing to locate into them.

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Pappy, before you go much further, should not the lap straps on the seats be blue??? I stand to be corrected. good work non the less.

Colin

Hi Colin,

images I've found of the modern HC.4 interior show the belts to be black - the material looks v. similar to a car seatbelt. Images from the HC.4 earlier in its life seem to show belts a darker blue than the seats.

I decided on mine that they won't visible enough to be worth the bother as I plan to have a few marines exiting the aircraft - also couldn't get the PE to look realistic anyway.

Stu

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragtag said:

Hi Colin,

images I've found of the modern HC.4 interior show the belts to be black - the material looks v. similar to a car seatbelt. Images from the HC.4 earlier in its life seem to show belts a darker blue than the seats.

I decided on mine that they won't visible enough to be worth the bother as I plan to have a few marines exiting the aircraft - also couldn't get the PE to look realistic anyway.

Stu

G'day Colin,

The belts are actually printed in blue, but it is a light blue/grey shade which my lights have probably washed out. Stu is correct about the drivers seats but as for the cabin, I think that these should also be black. Like Stu, I decided that this was a minor error that I could live with given that most of the cabin belts would not not be clearly visible , I did not want to repaint a gazillion lap belts and anyway there are many other errors present in the cabin. For example, the aft bulkhead is represented as a flat plate both by the kit and the PE overlay. In reality there is some grey sound proofing material that sits over the top giving a wrinkled appearance and it appears to project forwards a little more. I am sure that when you build you kits you will doubtless correct these, but I have chosen to ignore them in preference to expediency,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

G'day people,

I have assembled the tail unit.

DSCN4118_zpsg2jjsnqr.jpg

The HC.4 has the ability to fold the tail, so this assembly is supplied as a separate unit. Airfix includes two plugs to allow the tail unit to be depicted in either the extended or folded configuration. I am choosing the folded configuration as it looks a lot more interesting plus it will save on space

DSCN4116_zpsffr8oawh.jpg

The tail unit has several mesh areas to allow cooling air to reach the various tail rotor gearboxes. Airfix depict these mesh portions as shallow recessed areas but did not replicate any of the mesh. I opened the recessed portions in preparation of replacement PE panels.

DSCN4120_zps35nrwe3j.jpg

The plastic plug depicting a folded tail fits well and it is quite robust, however it lacks detail

DSCN4117_zps6hqgd33h.jpg

More grist for the mill,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 6

Hi Pappy, I'm happy with the belts if you are, nuff said. Re the rear bulkhead, it's most probably similar to the Wesex, where there is a fabric curtail pop fastened over the opening to the tail come for maintenanvce purposes. So yes wrinkled would be more in keeping.

I do like th ePE fold down door, looks very scale.

Colin

4 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Pappy, I'm happy with the belts if you are, nuff said. Re the rear bulkhead, it's most probably similar to the Wesex, where there is a fabric curtail pop fastened over the opening to the tail come for maintenanvce purposes. So yes wrinkled would be more in keeping.

I do like th ePE fold down door, looks very scale.

Colin

G'day Colin,

I am by no means an expert on HC.4's, I just paint what i see. In this case, I was happy enough with the belts. I actually have the belts all slightly different from set to seat, with a few hanging over the edges here and there,

DSCN4104_zpskrgdb6rt.jpg

p.s I have since removed that errant hair!

I figured if I needed to touch them up after folding I may make a mess of it so I went with the pre-painted colours. Apart from a few seats near the doors, most of the belts cannot be seen very well. The cabin sound proofing on the HC.4's is quite smooth, not at all like the typical wrinkly sagging stuff normally seen on heli's, but the aft bulkhead is the exception,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 6