Bismarck and Tirpitz 1:350

BerndM

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I've really enjoyed reading this Bernd. The quality of your work is a pleasure to watch develop.

Bravo!

Tony

Thank you Tony, there is a lot new progress to photograph, so more soon.

• Like 2

:tumble:

Hello, as promised some progress on the Bismarck.

Capital warships of that time carried a large flotilla of boats and the battleships of the Bismarck class had them as well. They were grouped on the hangar roof tops, around the funnel. All plastic details were removed and replaced with PE parts. The depicted work is during the clean up of the plastic parts and the first part of the detail work, more to follow.

Thats the roof top of one of the hangars beside the funnel, the brackets for the launches and boats removed during sanding.

33377832882_9a9e164688_b.jpg

After a lot of cutting and sanding the plastic details are removed and replaced with photoetched parts.

33535023085_d40bdbc68f_b.jpg

33406307331_fab38b4085_b.jpg

The next picture is showing the location on the ship.

33535028845_9314fd50ba_b.jpg

More soon.

Best Regards

Bernd

BTW: One of the nettings beside the 10,5 cm heavy flak units went missing, i have replaced it with thin plastic. Hopefully nearly invisible after more detailing and painting.

• Like 12

11 hours ago, allyby said:

It's a brave man to do both of these at the same time, looking great so far, I'm waiting on the next chapter now!

Thank you, Bismarck gets currently more attention. For Tirpitz i need references and details.

Not much budged before mid April.

More soon.

:elephant:

• Like 1

Great work Bernd,

All those delicate details really bring the model to life. I wish I had the patience to use PE. The metal gun barrels look great too.

Nice job :clap2:

Cheers

Greg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great work Bernd,

All those delicate details really bring the model to life. I wish I had the patience to use PE. The metal gun barrels look great too.

Nice job :clap2:

Cheers

Greg

Thanks for commenting mate. Working with photo etched parts is often very fiddly but with some more practise its getting better.

The metal barrels are an improvement over most plastic injected ones, so its worth the effort and the extra cost.

I am buying that stuff step by step if the budged allows it.

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1

Hi Bernd. Hope you are well and great to see more lovely progress. As Greg said above - the photoetch is really going to bring these to life. It's going to add another dimension to these kits.

Very impressive! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 21.3.2017 at 9:10 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi Bernd. Hope you are well and great to see more lovely progress. As Greg said above - the photoetch is really going to bring these to life. It's going to add another dimension to these kits.

Very impressive! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for commenting Stix.

The extra effort is rewarding for sure, i hope to upload more photos of older and current progress soon.

:captain:

Have a great time :)

• Like 1

really great, detailed work you are doing here Bernd. I have a question for you in regards to the wooden decking you have used: how are you going to mask it off when you paint the ship?

I only ask as I will be using a similar item on my QM2 build and I have been asking myself how I shall mask it all off ready for painting without having to resort to investing in shares in Tamiya. I had read somewhere once that if you can, keep the clear plastic cover on it but is the cover cut as well or is it one entire piece? Given that it is also Pontos, I can't be sure the same suggestion will apply to Artwox products

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive comment.

These wooden decks can be masked with Tamiya or Humbrol masking tape. The tape will stick on the wood.

The problem is only to mask very carefully. Removing paint from the deck is difficult.On Bismarck i have painted the large red banners on, it works.

Artwox or Wood Hunter are very similar its a good decision to use such a deck for a liner, The decks are adhesive and the clear plastic is only a cover and on the underside of the deck, its pre cut as well.

I understand your question, that you think about to use the clear plastic as a masking aid ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BerndM said:

I understand your question, that you think about to use the clear plastic as a masking aid ?

Your quite right - yes - that is exactly what I am thinking. I'm hoping that's what I can do, but I am still to see the product in the flesh, so I can't see if it will work or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

Your quite right - yes - that is exactly what I am thinking. I'm hoping that's what I can do, but I am still to see the product in the flesh, so I can't see if it will work or not.

A wooden deck for a liner is a very good idea, much better that for a warship for sure. Your idea screams for a try out but make sure that surplus paint or spray won t crawl under the plastic.

Paint is hard to remove from the wooden surface. Good luck !

I won't take credit for the idea - it's certainly not mine, but I will definitely have a look at it once the product arrives :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your bull as it progresses. 

• Like 1

The "twins" are coming along very nicely. The PE makes a huge difference to the Revell basic models. Are you going to be painting the Tirpitz in the large splinter camo? I tried it a few years ago but it is very difficult to reproduce.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

The "twins" are coming along very nicely. The PE makes a huge difference to the Revell basic models. Are you going to be painting the Tirpitz in the large splinter camo? I tried it a few years ago but it is very difficult to reproduce.

Thank you Julian, Tirpitz will be finished in one of the two splinter camo versions. Before that i need some more refence and also my re shaping of the bow ( steeper than Bismarck ) needs a correction.

Your Tirpitz looks good, mate :)

• Like 1

On 25.3.2017 at 1:09 PM, Gremlin56 said:

The splinter on my Tirpitz didn't match up in the side view, it's more tricky than I though. :unsure::blink:

My 1:700 scale Tirpitz had also a missing part of the scheme on her starboard side. it was impossible to get a proper paint work over the "ridges" of the superstructure.

May i get a better result in 1:350.

• Like 1

1/700 for the Tirpitz camo was really pushing your luck Bernd, the bench would have been plagued by structural bad language trying that here in "Casa Gremlin".

!/350th beat me into submission, seeing some of your previous builds I am sure you have the patience to pull it off ;)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

1/700 for the Tirpitz camo was really pushing your luck Bernd, the bench would have been plagued by structural bad language trying that here in "Casa Gremlin".

!/350th beat me into submission, seeing some of your previous builds I am sure you have the patience to pull it off ;)

Thanks for trusting in my abilities, i will do my best.:)

Guess applying Bismarcks Baltic camo stripes in her superstructure will be a challenge as well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Stix i am well but my modelling has suffered a major blockade, for almost four weeks i didn t made nothing.

Hopefully more soon.

Cheers

Bernd

• 5 weeks later...

2605 a2605 m2605 o2605 n2605 l2605 j

This are is still unfinished like the rest but its taking shape.

2605 h

The aft main range finder with photoetched brass on.

2605 g

Unpainted deck details and the white disk for the swastika. A decal from Tamiyas Spitfire Mk.Vb in 1:48.

2605 f

The RB gun barrels attached to Revell plastic parts.

2605 e

Now with the turret body on, details on all four gun turrets are in place.

Some new progress from the last weeks. Basicly i have added details to the superstructure. For a better view i have put all sub assemblies together.

• Like 12