Bismarck and Tirpitz 1:350

BerndM

Hello

The warship virus is back and i have dusted my naval projects.

While my Hood is still on hold, i have made progress on another project.I have started building Revells Schlachtschiff Bismarck a while ago and made also a start on the Tirpitz, also from Revell.

Like so often building has started quite spontaneous and i think its now time to present them.

Both are quite new kits and well detailed, to enhence this, i am using the Eduard BiG Ed set, a wooden deck from Pontos and turned metal barrels from RB and Master, i am not sure if i add more stuff. Depends on my budged.

Building warships is complex so i am progressing on Bismarck first. Some pictures contain also parts from her sister ship.

Both kits have some fit problems but nothing some putty and sanding can t cure. The first pics showing the hull of Tirpitz, with some sanding and filling. I am still fighting with with the different shape of her bow.

rumpf2Rumpf 1

Some fit problems and a new keel made from putty.

rumpf3

I had started to build parts of the super structures. Quite different. Tirpitz on top.

BS TP aufbauten

Some images of the pe parts, wooden deck and gun barrels

pontos bsEduard PE und rohre

Now on to Bismarck. The paint work on her hull is done but could need some touch ups. The decals for the water pass, and camo stripes were not used. Its more easy to match the the color of the baltic scheme stripes in her super structure.

The poster from the Kagero books are a good back up for photos and a very helpful reference. It has also some flaws too.

rumpf1

The Pontos deck is on, the red stripes are painted, the aft one is too small. Decals will do the rest of this detail.

That was the point of the re start of the build. The main modelling time in the last 10 days were adding, folding and glueing on photo etched parts and removing and sanding away plastic details.

But that is only the beginning.

The bow. Still lots of details are missing here.

bug

The forecastle in the area of ht e first break water, the louvers got details.

lüfter vorschiff

The barbette from turret "B" or Bruno got platforms around.

barbette bruno2barbette bruno2

Not every handrail of these platforms made it onto the model...:banghead:

Barbette bruno bb

Some midship details. Eduard has supplied the modeller with only some part of the steel decks before the catapult, Hope it looks good under the paint. I have also started to add watertight doors and the covers for the portholes. Very fiddly !

deck katapultbereichBootsklampen1MA 1

The roof of the aircraft hangar. Many of her boats were stowed here. The kit part before

Hangar1

...and after cutting and sanding every detail away and replacing them with pe parts.

Hangar2

The hangar door was glued on after the pe parts were added on the roof top now i have a seam:unsure: ( and also a damage )

Hangar4

And details around turret Caesar

Barbette turm ceasar1Barbette turm ceasar

Barbette Caesar1

The turrets of the main guns have seen some work as well, more on those later.

Thanks for looking

Bernd

• Like 21

Yeah. Agree with Jockster.

I like doing a ship every now and then so i try hard to watch these sort of builds. It amazes me how you manage to get them looking so good.

I never realised there was a difference in the superstructure of the two ships. I have a cheap old heller/airfix kit of them and its an either/or choice of which one you want it to be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jockster said:

Two great looking Models there BerndM, nice to see Tirpitz for a change!

Thanks Jockster, for Tirpitz i need more reference before i work on this kit more serious. Revell has depicted her in a 1943 fit so she will get this dazzle scheme.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bodmin said:

Yeah. Agree with Jockster.

I like doing a ship every now and then so i try hard to watch these sort of builds. It amazes me how you manage to get them looking so good.

I never realised there was a difference in the superstructure of the two ships. I have a cheap old heller/airfix kit of them and its an either/or choice of which one you want it to be.

Thanks for commenting.

after getting these kits and starting with the build i was surprised about the differences of the sisters. Only the overall construction and the systhems are the same.

I am not a professionell ship builder, these guys are creating magic with more more refined detail sets and its far from easy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great work there mate. The added PE and the wooden decking look really good. I look forward to more updates on these beauties. Cheers Greg :wink:

Hi Greg, thanks for stopping and leaving a comment :)

There will be more updates soon, may i get something done in the next days.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Nice to see you back at building again Bernd will be following along with these   :popcorn:

Beefy

Welcome aboard, Beefy :)

More progress soon. Compared with Trumpeters Hood, these kits are much more straight forward builds, including the PE parts.

53 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

Welcome back Bernd, lovely work and excellent PE work. Good to see you back at the bench again :smile:

Thank you very much :)

Winter time ( warship) modelling time:captain:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

Interesting builds.....

Look forward to more

Kev

Thank you, Bismarck will have the so called Baltic camo scheme, Tirpitz one of these she carried in Norway.

The Eduard sets are good but everything.

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Some superb work Bernd, my son is building the Revell kit so I know what a beautiful kit it is,but the PE and wooden deck

really add to the look.

Thank you Steve, your son will get a well detailed ship right out of the box, the decals are very helpful during the painting progress.

Will he using the supplied railings ?

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Thank you Steve, your son will get a well detailed ship right out of the box, the decals are very helpful during the painting progress.

Will he using the supplied railings ?

Yes Bernd he has the standard boxing without PE so painted deck's plastic rail's etc,as you say it's a very impressive out the box

build,he's a BM member so I have made him aware of your WIP.

12 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Yes Bernd he has the standard boxing without PE so painted deck's plastic rail's etc,as you say it's a very impressive out the box

build,he's a BM member so I have made him aware of your WIP.

Steve, this here is the standart kit as well. The add ons were purchased later.  I am really looking forward to his build, he can feel free to post pictures of his BS in my tread.

The new "De Luxe Bismarck" from Revell provides everything right out of the box but creates a deep hole in the budged.

BTW run out of likes for today :rage:

• Like 3

There is a problem with Photobucket. We have "stealth battleships" until this problem is fixed.

All other pictures in my topics are still supported, rather strange :unsure:

On 3.2.2017 at 11:56 AM, 73north said:

I recommend you use imagebam - far more reliable as a picture host ( don't touch image venue - that site loses pictures )

Thanks for this hint, i will try it out at some time.

Now back with large size pictures.

4 hours ago, BerndM said:

Thanks for this hint, i will try it out at some time.

Now back with large size pictures.

just to warn you , I have discovered even with ' marking ' the scan as family friendly - that adult adverts get shown when someone clicks on the scan using imagebam

( and doesn't make me any friends on the forum ) so I have discontinued using it here ............

so you are much safer to use photobucket.com - sorry

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 73north said:

just to warn you , I have discovered even with ' marking ' the scan as family friendly - that adult adverts get shown when someone clicks on the scan using imagebam

( and doesn't make me any friends on the forum ) so I have discontinued using it here ............

so you are much safer to use photobucket.com - sorry

Thanks again for that hint, Flickr is an improvisation until Photobucket will work with me again.

Strange is that only this album is affected.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bernd. Sorry I'm late to the show - I'm afraid I don't venture into the ships section as often as I should! Anyway I'm glad you mentioned you had this project in progress. Looking superb and I seriously don't know how you have the patience for that etch! Wonderful modelling. :worthy:

:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 27.2.2017 at 8:58 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi Bernd. Sorry I'm late to the show - I'm afraid I don't venture into the ships section as often as I should! Anyway I'm glad you mentioned you had this project in progress. Looking superb and I seriously don't know how you have the patience for that etch! Wonderful modelling. :worthy:

:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks mate and i am glad you like the project so far.

I have made some new progress but no photos yet. Working with photo etched parts needs a special inner calmness but it can be fun.

:hobbyhorse:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...