F-16C 363 TFW

Jabba

Well it is time to join in with this GB. I will be building a F-16C that was used by the 33 TFS of the 363 TFW whilst based in the UAE during Desert Shield. This aircraft was painted in and experimental sand/brown colour scheme to see if this would be any good whilst operating in the region. This scheme was only applied for one week as it was found during several test flights that when this aircraft flew with other aircraft they could not see it that well when in formation, so the aircraft was repainted in normal colours. For this build I will be using the Revell F-16C kit and Hi-Decals for the markings. I will also be adding weapons that this Sqn used during Desert Storm.

The Kit.

P1010272_zpsx4pnep2m.jpg

P1010273_zpscdyn3jxz.jpg

Markings.

P1010274_zpsnxqoihj3.jpg

P1010275_zpsou1vtzks.jpg

• Like 2

welcome aboard Jabba and what a cool scheme you have chosen as well! It'll be nice to see an F-16 in a different colour scheme from the norm!

good luck with the build, look forward to seeing her the galley.

I have some parts together, The rear fuselage and parts of the intakes as shown below. I have also put the cockpit together and am in the process of painting it as we speak. This will be added to the Fwd fuselage and then it will be all joined together. I know that this is a kit with some age as can be seen in the two photos below of the intake and a few other parts that I will be using. Anyway onwards and upwards.

IMG_0001_zpsc5yop3tr.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsnm9q8sbj.jpg

IMG_0003_zpsgf4zpzwy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got a few bits together over the weekend, and filled where required. I have also got the gap between the intake and fuselage which I have noticed that a few others have got. I will fill this area with Kristal Klear and wipe smooth. Well it looks like I have some sanding to do.

Sorry for the orientation of the photos. I took them as I normally did, but this is how they were downloaded onto my computer, and Photobucket would not allow me to move them. If there are any suggestions I am open to them as long as they are easy as I don't get on that well with computers.

IMG_0004_zpsrmaul6dh.jpg

IMG_0005_zpstziks31z.jpg

IMG_0006_zpsox59ysqw.jpg

IMG_0008_zpsqfyynhsq.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

The photo orientation isn't a problem. The last shot is a bit blurry though. Did you end up with a gap between the bottom of the fuselage and the little wedge above the intake? Hard to tell if I'm seeing blue background there, or a colored plastic insert. These Revell falcons have some tricky fit, it appears. 

22 hours ago, SoftScience said:

The photo orientation isn't a problem. The last shot is a bit blurry though. Did you end up with a gap between the bottom of the fuselage and the little wedge above the intake? Hard to tell if I'm seeing blue background there, or a colored plastic insert. These Revell falcons have some tricky fit, it appears. 

Yes that is a gap, it seems that many F-16 kits have this problem. As for the orientation, I found out that I could fix this where they are stored on my computer. I will probably sort that out this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

A small update. I have now got the model altogether and will start painting presently. I am not sure whether to paint the undersides first, will see when come to it. I have masked off the nose so that I can see where to paint when I have finished the rest of the aircraft.

IMG_0022_zpsygrrqdwb.jpg

IMG_0023_zpspsni8js7.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have now got the darker brown applied, plus added to darker grey (which you may not see) to the fuselage just behind the radome and around the intake. I will be painting the radome and intake lip a darker grey plus the engine in the coming days. I will also be adding the U/C to aid with the applying of the decals. I will be applying the full decals to the undersides as I think these would not have been changed during the repaint, but just what is required for the top ones, as I don't think that the walkways were reapplied.

Any comments are gratefully received.

IMG_0036_zpsmll7l6vq.jpg

IMG_0037_zpsjxhk2eqb.jpg

• Like 8

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, modelling minion said:

Can't help with the walkway question I'm afraid Jabba, but I do like the camo scheme, very nice!

I have had a better look at the painting instructions, and although there are "No Step/Walkway" markings for options 1,3 and 4 there are none for option 2 which is the one that I am doing. So problem solved.

• Like 1

I've just had a light bulb moment, having seen your colours & the refs from the Evil one above ;) I've actually got that Hi Decal sheet to do an Israeli one, I think I can feel another F-16 coming on, not for this GB though, I knows my limitations.:) That looks really good, I liked the fact it was too stealthy, I thought that was the idea.

Steve

Thanks for the kind words. Yes it does seem a bit daft to repaint an aircraft because it is too stealthy, but I do suppose that you have to be able to see the aircraft if you are flying with it so that you now where it is. I now have the decals on, and it was good fun trying to find and then cut out the stencils. I will be tackling the weaponry in the next few days or so. I do know that this aircraft did not fly into battle like this but I feel that a representative load out is required.

IMG_0039_zpsji7v9tbr.jpg

IMG_0040_zpsqarxqkhv.jpg

IMG_0041_zpsojndpxqw.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

She looks great with some decals on!

Thank you very much for the kind comment and that is aloso to all that have commented so far. I am almost there now, with basically just the canopy to fit which I will do shortly so that it can hopefully be on display on the Gulf War S.I.G stand at the Cosford show this weekend (If my back holds out. A few problems with it at the mo). I had a bit of fun with the decals on the Sidewinders, in that they were from the Hasegawa weapons set, but the newer set ones, which have the individual stripes would not stick, until lots of Micro Sol was applied to them, but the older ones that had to be cut out from the longer strips fitted first time. Hopefully I shall have finished piccies in the next week.

IMG_0046_zpsdqxcidxo.jpg

IMG_0047_zpskzw6qaek.jpg

IMG_0048_zps9xp1qwmy.jpg

• Like 5