Colour scheme WW2 depth charges

Hardcastle

Hi all

I am (still after 8 years) busy building my Revell/Matchbox Flower Class Corvette. While I can certainly not be considered a rivet counter, I have tried to improve some of the details on the pom-pom, 4Inch gun and the Oerlikons. I am almost ready to start the main paint jobs and was wondering if anyone in the wise-world has info on the correct paint colour for the depth charges that sit on the racks at the back / thrower? I have seen dark grey, a model with almost a gloss green and pictures that look almost white in the three books usually used for reference.

Any wisdom appreciated.

Tim Hardcastle

Durban - South Africa

Never seen a definitive answer, I would suggest it would depend where the vessel was operating.......

In a quiet zone with plenty of time on their hands probably painted to tie in with the ship to look 'tiddly'

North Atlantic where they probably took on a full reload on turn around. So we have how many factories on two continents that weren't bothered about the product rusting!!

Me I would go for grey, which grey? Several different shades randomly selected/applied.

I guess it would also depends if you want pretty or realistic..........

Look forward to seeing some pics of your project

Kev 

Thnaks Grant and Langshanks, that is helpful. I will go with light sea grey I think.

I am planning a colour scheme from the Med, which is difficult to determine overall as they were often just dark sea grey with a false bow-wave, unlike the WA schemes used in the Atlantic. Not many pics of the ships in detail either so not sure of the correct armament - I know some had extra AA fitted in Egypt (40mm Bofors aft of the bandstand and eventually more .50 or oerlikons, so may add that too)

Tim H

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...