The Monty Python's Zeppelin Killer: The Sage 2 in 1/48

I'm guessing that the cockpit sides with the glass panels opened up. On the first 2 pics it looks as though there may be a triangular shape above the front paired windows,  and the plans show what may be a handle a little further back......

Ian 

What a fantastic and utterly bonkers example of daring-do with a large dash of tally-ho mixed together.

Definitely one to watch!

Christian, exiled to africa

Its 51 degrees in Omaha so great weather for garage painting; mixed up some Tamiya gloss with a few drops of Tamiya flat and gave the Sage a light coat of semi-gloss to seal the decals.  Drilled out the few rigging holes on the fuselage, held my breath and added the clear windows strip using double face (scrap booking tape) and epoxied the lower wings in place.  The little Zeppelin killer will be ready for action soon.  Need to find a 1/48 John Cleese and Michael Palin for the crew.  

fullsizeoutput_7dd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7d8.jpeg

Edited by cduckworth
  • Like 3

Here's the Sage 2 with some feet added - making it look 'somewhat' like a proper airplane.  During the photo shoot the acetate window strip decided to undo itself on one side so I am going to reattach in a few places with canopy glue before I add the rigging.  I need to find a better match for the blue on the rudder,  none of my Vallejo colors were even close.  

What's the group's opinion on the struts?  The prototype photos show them to be a light color so were they painted to match the linen or the metal parts?  

fullsizeoutput_7de.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7df.jpeg

• Like 6

On this th

36 minutes ago, cduckworth said:

What's the group's opinion on the struts?  The prototype photos show them to be a light color so were they painted to match the linen or the metal parts? 

On this one I wouldn't rule anything out.....Whalebone perhaps?  :hmmm:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, depressed lemur said:

I assume the designer was not approached again? :tmi:

I would have thought the same thing but there was a Sage 3 and they built two of them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_Type_3  

One web site said the Sage 1 was never finished but this web site reads differently and has some information on why the Sage 2 crashed.  

http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/sage-2.php

Edited by cduckworth

4 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I think the struts are painted to match the rest of the aircraft. Come on Wingnut Wings, you know you want to........

Martian

Martian

So your vote goes to the linen color?  

Most British aircraft of that period had their struts either varnished wood or painted a light grey colour.

The crew should be Wallace and Grommet!

Ian 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Most British aircraft of that period had their struts either varnished wood or painted a light grey colour.

The crew should be Wallace and Grommet!

Ian 

I'm holding out for Dastardly and Muttley.

dastardlyandmuttley_L16.jpg

• Like 5

I can only image the test pilot's reaction and comments when they wheeled Sage 2 out of the hanger for his first test flight.   Here's a better shot with a white background.

fullsizeoutput_7e4.jpeg

Edited by cduckworth
  • Like 4

A wonderfully built model, congratulations.

However, I do feel that a disservice is being done by calling this a "Monty-python" plane. It should quite obviously be piloted by Eccles and Bluebottle, having been made by Henry Crun and Minnie Bannister from cardboard and string (you can't get the wood you know).

I'll go lie down in a padded room now... :ner:

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:51 PM, Viking said:

I've now got the theme tune from the old cartoon sersies 'Stop that pigeon' going around in my head. Dick Dastardly & Mutley wouldn't look out place crewing that!

(Love thes odd types by the way, you are doings a great job there!)

Cheers

John

My thoughts exactly!  You can just imagine Klunk explaining how it works! :)

• Like 1