The Monty Python's Zeppelin Killer: The Sage 2 in 1/48

If Monty Python had written a script on going after a Zeppelin flying over London I'm positive the crew would have been given a Sage 2 as their aircraft.  Only one prototype built and it crashed.  Two questions come to mind 1) why did Spin even do this kit and 2) what on earth was I thinking to even buy one?  I'd ordered this from Hannants and was working on the Nieuport 10 when the box arrived from the UK.  I looked at the low number of parts, the nicely cast thin wings and thought 'why not' let's give it a "spin" (bad pun).  After a Google search for "Spin 1/48 Sage 2' all I saw were in-box reviews with no one actually building this kit (or at least posting photos of the completed model) so there was yet another a challenge - can it be built?  

The parts are actually well cast although the detail is a little soft in places around the sides near the engine.  The clear sheet wraps around the cockpit and after several dry runs I think it's going to fit perfectly.  I initially thought of using Canopy glue to attach it but am now going to use double faced tape so I can pull it back and reposition it as needed.    I spend considerable time painting the cockpit but after attaching the top wing I might as well painted it in pink and purple dots as no one will see it.  The Gnome engine, if actually seen, I'd replace, but the huge spinner hides it so am going with the kit's casting.  Not much rigging on this little bird either so that's another plus.  

sage-2.jpgscan0001.jpg

fullsizeoutput_7b8.jpeg

The casting on the top wing has a lip on the bottom to mount the window structure into.  I removed the lip in the front of the wing and narrowed the 'V' casting in the back of the wing to get it to sit inside the cockpit area.  Normally I use acc but used 5 minute two part epoxy to attach the wing as I feel the epoxy will hold better in the long run and I wanted some time to get the wing on straight which acc sets up too quickly.  

fullsizeoutput_7ba.jpeg

As you can see some of the detail parts aren't all that bad and the flash is thin and easy to remove.

fullsizeoutput_7bc.jpeg

Here's the Gnome, several casting bubbles between the cylinders and tubes.  Once the huge spinner is attached this will be hidden.  

Edited by cduckworth
added photos
  • Like 11

Now this is an interesting type. You may be the first to build and complete it but whatever.... you are making a first class job of it. This is just the type of aircraft that attracts me to scratch build in 1/72 - hardly known and rarely seen, but interesting nonetheless. Will follow this with interest.

P.

49 minutes ago, pheonix said:

Now this is an interesting type. You may be the first to build and complete it but whatever.... you are making a first class job of it. This is just the type of aircraft that attracts me to scratch build in 1/72 - hardly known and rarely seen, but interesting nonetheless. Will follow this with interest.

P.

If you decide to scratch-build this a/c there's a general arrangement drawing on the web.

57 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Bloody hell.....It's got a gazebo!  :lol:

Here's some additional history on this a/c I found.

The prototype first flew on 10 August 1916, and demonstrated good performance and maneuverability, being easy to fly. It was wrecked during a crash landing during a test flight at Cranwell on 20 September 1916 after the rudder post failed.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Bloody hell.....It's got a gazebo!  :lol:

And it's full of shemales! (Obscure Simpsons reference.)

What an amazing subject; I imagine the fully enclosed gazebo was plenty ahead of its time in 1916? Following this one!

I got some airbrush painting done in the garage while Mrs D was away this afternoon; it was 38 degrees here in Omaha (which is quite balmy this time of year for Nebraska).  The fabric areas were painted with Gunze Aqueous Radome (H318) with a few drops of Tamiya yellow added.  The metal parts were brush painted Vallejo Light Grey (70990).    Since the Radome was thinned it took several coats to finally hide the puttied areas so the model is going to sit for a couple of days and let the paint cure.  Before I add the lower wing I need to paint or decal the dark areas around the 'gazebo'.  I initially assumed this to be dark stained wood but also think they might be black.  I'm leaning towards using black decal as it would add some interest to the model and who's to prove me wrong when you look at the prototype photos in my first post these areas are pretty dark.   

fullsizeoutput_7c4.jpeg

Spinner is not attached yet.  

fullsizeoutput_7c3.jpeg

It was planned to arm the production aircraft with a Lewis gun to shoot over the propeller but since this is the prototype I'm going to only add a ring for the gun.  

fullsizeoutput_7c1.jpeg

Edited by cduckworth
added photos
  • Like 3

Ok, tried using some tracing paper and making up a template to cut out a black decal; too many curves to draw around so I masked off the area with Tamiya tape and some very narrow pin striping tape I had.  So here is the results.  Next step is to decal the aircraft and seal them with a matt.  Then I can add the window strip (as I don't want to get matt spray on the windows).  After the windows are attached I'll add the lower wings and struts.  

Btw I found a photo of the Sage 2 uncovered.  The area I painted black is in the same gray color as the metal cowling so am thinking this material wasn't wood but metal and black may have been a good quess on my part after all.

fullsizeoutput_7c5_1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7c6_1.jpeg

Edited by cduckworth
Added text
  • Like 7

I must confess I'd never heard of this whimsical aircraft until I came across this fine build of it. With the upper deck of an RM bus for the crew to sit inside, this is very much like a product of London Transport lofted to the heavens!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I say old boy! Naked aeroplanes on a Sunday afternoon?

You could at least have given us time to shoo the children back to the nursery with Nanny.

Sorry, I'll try and put a PG-17 alert on any future postings :wink:

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This is looking great! I must resist the growing urge to add this kit to the stash.

Martian

The only thing going for this is it's a quick build; no need to detail the cockpit as it can't be seen and the rigging is almost as east as a Fokker Dr.I.  

This was my first Spin kit I've built (I have their Spad A.2 and Ansaldo SVA.5 the stash) so I wasn't prepared for their decals.

Four issues 1) these have some sort of spotty discoloration (maybe glue residue that refused to come off) as you can see on the roundel on the left - I hope this goes away with some semi-gloss overspray 2) they completely broke up into pieces while on the sheet in the water (two Hail Marys and I was able to salvage them), 3) the side roundels are a little larger than what the photo of the prototype has and 4) no decal for the Sage Company logo or Sage 2 as on the rear of the fuselage.  Will let you 'subject matter experts' weigh in on the colors of the blue.  

Anyway here's today's progress. 

Which brings up a couple of questions when you look at this design.  How did the crew enter the cockpit - climb through the top wing opening?  There's a second foot hold just below the windows but to where?  How did the gunner and pilot communicate with one guy sitting below the top wing with no upper view to tell him were the Zeppelin is and the gunner several feet away hanging out the top wing with a Lewis gun.  

fullsizeoutput_7cc.jpeg

Edited by cduckworth
  • Like 5

Communication was probably by

shouting down a Gosport tube.

I can see the second footstep

in the black area, but there are

no handholds to pull yourself up!

Possibly a trapdoor behind the aft

lower wingspar may have existed?

• Like 1

I've now got the theme tune from the old cartoon sersies 'Stop that pigeon' going around in my head. Dick Dastardly & Mutley wouldn't look out place crewing that!

(Love thes odd types by the way, you are doings a great job there!)

Cheers

John

• Like 3