ZZ Top Music Room Tribute (Photos Reloaded)

Hi Britmodellers, (I've put some more pics in WIP)

I've been following the forums for around a year now. As a boy I made model fighter jets, I got quite good at it and ended up with a wall to wall collection. I only built them clean to instructions straight out of the box. I used to finish one a week ! These forums have inspired me to venture into detailing and taking more time to produce masterpieces.....

As a young man after model making, I grew a strong passion for music and guitar playing. Over the past 26 or so years I've collected guitars and music memorabilia and my man cave has become somewhat of a "rock museum".... I make a point of setting up small areas on the wall to mount my concert tickets with the band's memorabilia, as a kind of homage... In this case I wanted to set up a small shelf to remember the ZZ Top concert I saw in San Diego in the early nineties..... At first I started out with their famous Ford Coupe "Eliminator" Hotrod and then kicked off a lengthy search for the spaceship on the front of their Afterburner album (my favorite). After so many Google hours I found a blog from somebody who made it from a Space Shuttle and a ZZ Top Model car. After some over-usage of the brain working out scale conversions I finally had a plan in place........ And then by luck I stumbled across a pack of 1:24 scale of the band members... And that was it !!

It's certainly inspired me to keep on going, next project will be Iron Maiden's Ed Force One...... I'll be starting that next week, after studying a couple of Ed Force One build on here !!

Hope you guys like it !

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi JJ.

What a great little display you've made there, a real homage to the well dressed men. Was the WIP in the car forum? The sci-fi forum? The space forum? The figure forum? 

Seriously, those figures are pretty good likenesses. They look more like the real people than most models do. And the paintwork on the 'cars' is spot on. Grand job all round.

Personally, I'd like to have seen similar with Iron Maiden with Eddie, or Metallica with the statue from Justice for all, but hey ho.

Rearguards,

Badder

Cheers mate... Yeah it took a bit of thought as to where to place the post ! Lady Justice would be pretty cool. Maiden have a pretty big line of figurines from McFarlane and NECA that I have on display however they're already pretty detailed so not much more can be done to them. A while back I done some colour on Kiss Mount Rushmore " Mount Kissmore" 

7FF0EF3D-B4C2-4B32-BA0F-2E175CF2421D_zps

284BDD36-4EC0-4578-89E4-4AD0A3668861_zps

Hey, that's fantastic. There's a whole new genre of kits here that that I was totally unaware of! Does any manufacturer do Iron Maiden's Eddie? There's countless album and single covers that would make brilliant dioramas! The Number of the beast album cover would be great as a diorama as would Seventh son to name but two.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

McFarlane Toys and NECA do Eddie stuff, here's my "Maiden Corner" shelves on the right - from the top left to right - Iron Maiden, Final Frontier, Killers (NECA), Somewhere In Time, Trooper, Killers (McFarlane), Peice Of Mind, Live After Death and Phantom of the Opera...  

13CB95A7-58E7-44C6-BDDE-0B034065D06A_zps

Edited by JJ2016
  • Like 5

On 29 January 2017 at 5:47 PM, Vince1159 said:

:worthy:,two great minds think alike,thats brilliant JJ....

Edit:: Can you get the framework of 'The Bomber'...I know it's pushing it a bit but that'd look perfect behind Lemmy....

Well that's settled, I'm going to do it..... Will make the Motorhead bomber for a Motorhead tribute !! Stay tuned mate ! Thanks for the suggestion....

• Like 1

Excellent tributes and models. I saw all those bands in the early 80's but only kept up to speed with Motorhead, until Lemmy left us just over a year ago. On the subject of the Bomber you may be interested to know the cover artist for that lp used an Airfix He 111 to get the look of if right. The lighting rig that was bomber shaped, albeit with 4 engines was also based on the Heinkel airframe. Cheers Greg :clap2:

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip Greg, I'm thinking a 1:48 He111, I read a write up from the artist and he said he made one in gloss black to get the reflections and shadows right ! I have an Ed Force One Boeing 747 to do which I'm just starting and then it's onto the Bomber !! Cheers mate !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JJ2016 said:

Thanks for the tip Greg, I'm thinking a 1:48 He111, I read a write up from the artist and he said he made one in gloss black to get the reflections and shadows right ! I have an Ed Force One Boeing 747 to do which I'm just starting and then it's onto the Bomber !! Cheers mate !

Good plan, you will have to scratch build the crew/band and the fictional chin turret. Apparently Eddie Clarke didn't like the Bomber art cover cos he says it made him look girlie!! Good luck with the build. Cheers Greg :D

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:19 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Good plan, you will have to scratch build the crew/band and the fictional chin turret. Apparently Eddie Clarke didn't like the Bomber art cover cos he says it made him look girlie!! Good luck with the build. Cheers Greg :D

Cheers Greg, I probably won't get into too much detail as the plane will actually be a backdrop to the overall display so I may just do a red on the inside of the windows to give a red glare sort of effect. I'll make sure I get the Warpig markings correct however !!

• Like 1

• JJ2016 changed the title to ZZ Top Music Room Tribute (Photos Reloaded)