S.A. Bulldog at RAF Lyneham 2004/2007.

Rick Brown

Chaps.

Can some one help?

When I used to occasionally work out of Lyneham in 2004-2007 there was often a SA Bulldog sat on the pan by the PAX terminal.

Does anybody know anything about it etc?

Rick.

Not sure if it was one of the UAS from Benson. I used to work RAF Abingdon until it closed in the early 90's. I know both London and Oxford both regularly visited Lyneham as did 6AEF in their Chippies. I assume they carried on the visits when they moved on

• Like 1

Hi Rick.

I have a couple of colleagues who were at Lyneham around that time. One said he not only remembered your Bulldog, he actually helped to refuel it! He doesn't think it was officially based there but he remembers it was owned by a former Squadron Leader who flew in regularly and parked it at the end of the pan. It had its own set of chocks and equipment so it could be easily taken as being a resident.

If you would like any more details I'd be happy to ask.

Jonathan

• Like 1

Hi Rick

I recall this is the same Bulldog that used to be parked up by the Wash Bay , and had some connection with Lyneham Flying Club

As far as markings standard red and white RAF scheme with no obvious civil registration. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rick

I have been doing some digging and it seems google is your friend .If you try www.ukserial.com   on the XX*** page scroll down to the Bulldog section.

there is  XX551 /G-BZDP based at Lyneham around the time you mentioned.

I hope this is the information you need.

Koala

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Koala said:

Hi Rick

I have been doing some digging and it seems google is your friend .If you try www.ukserial.com   on the XX*** page scroll down to the Bulldog section.

there is  XX551 /G-BZDP based at Lyneham around the time you mentioned.

I hope this is the information you need.

Koala

Thanks Koala.

It says to Boscomb in 2000 though.

The one I regularly saw was 2005-2007.

Am I miss reading the information?

Rick.

Hi Rick,

Using Koala's information I entered G-BZDP on the G-INFO database and looked up its ownership history. The aircraft was taken on to the UK civil register in 2000 and sold on in 2003. Talking to my colleague today he recognised the second name (and current) owner straight away. So, I think we can safely say the aircraft you saw is indeed XX551/G-BZDP. Looking at this photo https://farm8.static.flickr.com/7310/27657320781_8742c1df3d_b.jpg it appears to be ex-Oxford UAS.

HTH,

Jonathan

• Like 1

According to my brother who worked there before going to Brize Norton it was definatley XX551 as mentioned above. I also remember seeing it parked up by the wash bay and later at Boscombe Down where it may still live. This link, although not fitting in with the year you say confirms it did reside there. I've asked my brother (Danoz on FC) if he has any photos and will get back to you if he has. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Carl.

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=15683

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys that bulldog was regularly flown by the boss of SUAS, he used it to commute to Boscombe. I know because I was on the UAS at the time.

Best regards 

Nick

• Like 1

Hi guys that bulldog was regularly flown by the boss of SUAS, he used it to commute to Boscombe. I know because I was on the UAS at the time.

Best regards 

Nick

On 10/03/2017 at 7:16 AM, 85sqn said:

Best regards 

Nick

Thanks Nick!

Rick.