Decal application.

Vinnie

Apologies in advance as I'm sure the question has been asked before but I can't find the answers. I'm still in practice mode after returning to modelling after many decades, and one of my difficulties has been applying decals. I've used warm water with a drop of fairy liquid, dipped the decals for around 20 seconds then applied to the gloss varnished surface. They slide off the backing paper ok, but some of them have been impossible to slide around to the desired position. I've been reading that I should be using a decal solution or two. 

Could someone please advise me on the sequence of solution applications and possibly the most favoured makes. My second build which is an Italeri Spit has changed squadrons three times now because of decal cock-ups. :angry:

Thanks

As a start, try Humbrol's Decalfix decal softener. Very good howto video here. 

In words, put a bit of softener in warm water (some decals like Tamiya or Hasegawa need hot water).  Dip the decal until fully wet, no more than 30 seconds, let it sit on a paper towel until the decal starts to slide on the paper. Put a drop of decalfix on the model where the decal is to go, float the decal onto the solution/surface, move it around to where you want it. I then use a cotton bud to wick the excess. I sometimes just use the water/soaking solution to float the decal. 

I prefer to do one "surface" as in the top, then the bottom, then left side, then right side. Each side in one go and let it sit so gravity is my friend to help the decals settle into any recesses or around raised detail. I leave the model be for about 2 hours to let the decals settle and begin to dry. Check it and it a bubble appears that's ok. I just gently add some more decal solution straight onto the partially dry decal. Taking care not to move it. And then repeat until it is settled and dry. Then do the next "side". 

Other solutions:
Revell DecalSoft
Daco Decal softener Comes in three strengths
Tamiya MarkFit
Mr Mark Softener should be used with Mr Mark Setting solution
Microset should be used with Microsol 

• Like 2

oh right. The video says to use decalfix full strength, no water. I use about 20:1 warm water to softener. Literally about 10 ml water, then add about 0.5ml softener. Stir and drop n the decal. 

On the grounds of keeping it simple, I dump my decals in ordinary room temperature water, then lay them on the cutting mat until the paper has soaked through and the decal starts to move around.  Then it's a case of either grabbing with tweezers, or sliding them off the paper onto the model, but always onto a drop of decal solution.  Get it in the right place, then use a cotton bud as a rolling pin to press it down to the surface.  Another application of decal solution, and another rolling over it with a cotton bud, and then just leave it to set up.  When it's dry, overcoat with some gloss varnish, and if I'm planning on hiding the edges of the carrier film, more gloss varnish, followed by some very careful sanding, rinse and repeat until you're happy with the finish :)

• Like 2

I use a normal flat paintbrush to locate my decals.

Before placing the decal on the model I brush the area over with water. If thats not enough to keep it moving I wiggle the edge of the paintbrush under the decal to put more water under it.

I leave it in place just for a few minutes to settle down then use a tissue to press it down tighter in place.

Then I apply decal setting solution to help it confom more then use the cotton swab as a roller [like Mike does]