Long Job - FV439 Royal Signals Radio Relay with some 3d Printing

Wogga

I have ordered some more prints which have been printed successfully, i will upload photos as i get them.

I have done a drawing of progress so far, including a jerrycans which i did not draw i bought the cad for a few bucks and built the carrier around it. Here is the top deck equipment to date:

top%20deck%201_zpsmfo8g5mt.jpeg

top%20deck%202_zpscqngi1di.jpeg

top%20deck%203_zpsoututrvj.jpeg

• Like 3

Well the prints have arrived, the cable drum assembly and the gene coffin are fine but i cocked up downscaling the antenna cage. It all should look better with a coat of paint.

IMG_0599_zpswfuvmn14.jpg

IMG_0604_zpsajvqdd21.jpgIMG_0609_zps1ldefa0n.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for the positive comments, the frosted ultra detail is certainly producing the goods. Once i prime them the details should be more visible..... one hopes. The cheaper white flexible plastic for the antenna cage looks a bit rough on the surface but as i said i grossly over scaled the item, it is back to the CAD for that one.

If you draw 1:1 in the CAD and downscale to say a a quarter size, if it imports into Shapeways ok their scaling tool will allow you to get the sizes bob on, o obviously didn't do a good job with the cage.

I have given the parts a spray with some car primer and it shows up the detail that is printed, it also shows some texture you get from the printing process which will need a little rub down in areas. Overall i am well impressed with the resolution of the print, i even managed to produce some bolt heads this time. Excuse the quality of the primer.

IMG_0610_zps9duogh2l.jpg

IMG_0612_zpslvgpabhh.jpg

IMG_0613_zpsqat99oam.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Very nice Wogga, will have to learn 3D modeling someday :hmmm:

Regards

Richard

It is not too bad Richard, there is plenty of help these days with forums and videos. I am no expert by any means but you just add basic shapes to another shape I guess.

On 29/01/2017 at 7:50 PM, Dads203 said:

Cougar was only only used in NI as far as I'm aware, it evolved into Panther and had limited use through out the green Army, the standard the secure Clansman secure VHF radio fit for the green Army was the VRC 353 Z.

Normally found at Division and Brigade level and some spec tasks detachments, the Z prefix indicates that it secure and utilised a DMU and associated cypher unit that was filled with a fill gun, the designation is still classified 

We used Cougar in Customs for many years. They (I'm retired) use something different now.

• Like 1

Looking at that telescopic mast, the only response that I can think of is the one from Monty Python's 4 Yorkshiremen sketch....."Luxury! Bl**dy luxury"!!

Fortunately I didn't get involved with erecting masts. Too busy dealing with those cam nets made from a rope like material that weighed about the same as the Titanic when wet. Happy days.

Great job. This 3d printing is taking it to a whole new level.

John.

• Like 2

On 28/01/2017 at 6:13 PM, Hamden said:

Interesting project mind if I follow along?

3D printed parts look very good - looking forward to the next installment

Roger 

Hang on a minute!!!!! Are you printing your own stuff as well????

oops!! Quoted wrong post 

Edited by simmerit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, simmerit said:

Hang on a minute!!!!! Are you printing your own stuff as well????

oops!! Quoted wrong post 

'Unfortunately not Simon, I don't think there is a printer cheap enough for this type work. The Frosted detail plastic uses displaced wax which is melted off. The Shapeways website has videos of the processes in action.

43 minutes ago, Wogga said:

'Unfortunately not Simon, I don't think there is a printer cheap enough for this type work. The Frosted detail plastic uses displaced wax which is melted off. The Shapeways website has videos of the processes in action.

There will come a point where the technology is commodity and we can do this stuff at home. You are trail blazing here fella and it's a pleasure to watch and learn from

• Like 2

On 2/12/2017 at 10:31 AM, Wogga said:

A few hours last night and this morning and i have had a go at the mast assembly. the actual SCAM mast is removable from the carrier so i can print them separately.

Wonderful! Every day I get more & more intrigued by CAD and 3D printing. 

• Like 1

The drawing continues, i am trying to push this 3d printing malarky as far as i can. Obviously detail parts are smaller and i suspect less chance of getting a good 3d print.

First up is one of the antenna heads, this will either be sat on top of the mast once the 39 is deployed or stashed in the antenna cage for moves.

band%20one_zpsqbnt3jxj.jpeg

Here is the top showing the two antennas stowed. More detail has also been added to the mast assembly.

top%20deck%207_zpslloku9fw.jpeg

Everyday it looks more and more like a 39 :-).

I will have a go with cleaning up the coffin roof Gremlin and feedback, i think something went wrong as the mk1 turned out ok and other top surfaces were smooth? I did order them to "print anyway". When you upload a model if it doesn't quite pass the checks you can instruct them to print it. They carry out due diligence on the model any way and if it is totally unprintable they will tell you. However the print anyway will over ride any reports. They do this because bods who are prototyping like me need to understand how far we can push things.

Half an hour of spare time, and you can play in the CAD and pose the model. Here i have shown the mast deployed and an antenna fitted.

Top%20Deck%20Mast%20up_zps47g4nmwy.jpeg

• Like 1

On 18/02/2017 at 8:38 AM, Gremlin56 said:

It'll be interesting to hear how the texture rubs down Wogga, looking excellent already :yes:

Hi Gremlin, the plastic cleaned up very easy from this

IMG_0613_zpsqat99oam.jpg

to this

IMG_0615_zpsc1znd1r0.jpg

• Like 1