Can We Give Threads Meaningful Titles Please?

Is it really too much to ask that we put a full title to our threads so that members don't have to actually read the article to find out what it is about? For example, seeing a thread called "How can I..." does my nut in!

Rant off.:smile:

Dave

• Like 10

So true. Not been here long myself and noticed that too...

Worst for me are the new threads titled 'wanted' in the obvious section. Is that hard to put '1/scale Aeroflunkel thingamajig' in the title?

There's my rant for the day...

Edited by Tony Oliver
Spelling.
  • Like 3

There are occasions when the requirement/query is longer than the amount of wordspace available in the title.  The header is just a starting point to get those interested or knowledgeable to go into the thread and find out what the person wants, and why their request may be different from any previous/similar queries.  We would like to put it all in the header but, there are occasions when there is a special reason why we are asking and may need non-standard or special advice.   It is a pity that people can't be bothered to check the actual request, because it could very likely be them who could give the best and most helpful answer and we need your help.  :winkgrin:

Mike

2 hours ago, davecov said:

Is it really too much to ask that we put a full title to our threads so that members don't have to actually read the article to find out what it is about? For example, seeing a thread called "How can I..." does my nut in!

Dave

Shoot me down by all means if I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but if someone is asking a question in the Help & Support section and starts the thread off with How can I....post pictures, what's not understood? By the same token, how would a scale apply to that? 

John.

My point is that some people do not finish the title! They start off with "How can I" and put nothing else!

I was not commenting on the scale but I guess if somebody says "Decals wanted for Airfix Spitfire" then adding a scale in the title or as a tag might be of use.

Dave

• Like 5

Yes, I can see your point, although I've not come across it before, but it would get right up my nasal passages too. The bit about scale was a reference to another post. I lead a sheltered existence on BM, only reading relevant (to me) pages such as armour and the occasional aircraft topic and of course anything written by He who must be obeyed:D

John.

Equally annoying are those who do exactly as I am now doing by posting something that takes a thread in a new direction having no relevance to the topic being discussed instead of starting a new thread referencing the new topic.

• Like 1

I agree with Davecov: if you're going to ask a question please give your intended audience as much help as you can, e.g. "Airfix 1/48th Spitfire XIX colour scheme query", or "How do I get rid of unwanted trolls?".  That way those who can't provide an answer don't have to open a thread that they don't need to and they can get on with looking for threads about their favourite V-bomber or the Kaiser's armies ("They're up his sleevies!") as appropriate.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I agree with Davecov: if you're going to ask a question please give your intended audience as much help as you can, e.g. "Airfix 1/48th Spitfire XIX colour scheme query",

Completely agree on that.  Enough to focus on those who may have knowledge on that subject; with the added "query" meaning there is more to ask than can be explained in the header.

What winds me up are threads half complete reading Westland Whirlwind...........as a person interested in the helicopter I open the thread up to find its a World War 2 Fighter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Doeant take a minute to add fighter or helicopter.........:rage:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davecov said:

Dave

:clap:

Rick.

• Like 2

If anyone starts a thread with the current hyperbole "I opened up the model box, and what happened next will amaze you...", or "My ten top model kits, and no.8 will astound you", I will change their name to Buzzfeed, or TheMailOnline for a month :fight:

...but yes, a descriptive and informative topic title is always good, and appreciated.  "Have you got....." will get ignored by most, while "Have you got the nose wheel of a Harrier GR.9 in 1:48" will both save people time in clicking if they haven't got it, and perhaps jog someone's memory/conscience into admitting they have one and helping you out :)

• Like 2