Robert's Esci 1/72 F-16A/B - Completed

Robert

OK a bit late but am ready to start.

I will be building the old but good Esci F-16A and B. They have been in my stash since they were new in the local model shop.

Esci%20F-16%20AB.jpg

I am looking at something simple so one will be in Norwegian colours and the other in Dutch. Modeldecal do decals for both of them.

Robert

Edited by Robert
Changed title
  • Like 5

welcome aboard Robert, wow those are some golden oldies you have, and is the "A" moulded in silver plastic? I haven't seen that in a long time.

They should be fun to build, I've built quite a few Esci models back then ad found them to be nice builds. Not sure of accuracy then, but wasn't that worried then either!

Good luck with the build, will be reliving old builds as I'm watching these builds, looking forward to seeing them in the gallery. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update.

OK started with the canopies, attached the parts for both A & B. The actual canopies fits to the frames.

aaDSCN2288.jpg

The two seater was fine but a bit of a problem with the single seater with a nasty gap which was duly filled and smoothed over.

aaDSCN2290.jpg

aaDSCN2291.jpg

Made a start on the wings by filling in the unwanted holes and smoothed over. Both kits will be equipped with tanks.

aaDSCN2297.jpg

aaDSCN2311.jpg

The seats were a bit of a joke so was replaced by some I had from True Detail

aaDSCN2303.jpg

The cockpit was enhanced by some etch for the Italeri F-16 which did not fit too badly and painted.

aaDSCN2305.jpg

aaDSCN2306.jpg

aaDSCN2312.jpg

aaDSCN2313.jpg

I have put the fuselages together so just finishing them up then I will be able to attach the wings and tailplanes. Also the F-16A will be in the markings of 350 Squadron of the Belgium Air Force 1986 with decals from Modeldecal and the F-16B will be from the Danish air force Esk727 1983 with the decals also from Modeldecal.

Robert

Edited by Robert
Bit too quick with the save button
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! It is pretty wild to see this kit again. When I was about 12 (1990), I got this model after my mom dragged me out school-clothes shopping. It was the first kit I was going to build "seriously". I remember washing the parts in the sink, like a good little modeler. I also have vague recollections of trying to model the canopy open, which I did by reaming out a large hole in the area behind the ejection seat and just jamming it in there. So much for serious modeling :D

I hope you enjoy the kit as much as I remember enjoying it 27 years ago :o 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again, next installment.

I have attached the wings and tail planes and proceeded will the filling of the gaps. The F-16B did not have such gaps. Both kit`s wings needed a good sanding to remove some bumps which you can see on the photos.

aaDSCN2315.jpg

aaDSCN2316.jpg

Gaps filled and both kits given a spray.

aaDSCN2317.jpg

aaDSCN2318.jpg

I gave myself a break and did the fin for the single seater. The decal from Modeldecal was a bit thick but are still great after all those years.

aaDSCN2320.jpg

Also made a start on the undercarriage and finished them so they are ready for inserting when the airframes are completed.

aaDSCN2331.jpg

Same goes for the exhausts (the blueish colour is a trick of the light, they are whiteish.

aaDSCN2321.jpg

The resin seats were painted ready for insertion into the cockpit.

aaDSCN2333.jpg

The F-16B is now going to be a Norwegian aircraft with the decals from Modeldecal. That is all for now.

Robert

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, insight of the finishing line now.

Added the lightning (?) stripes missing on the radome using Mr Surfacer

aaDSCN2339.jpg

And cleaned up

aaDSCN2342.jpg

Also copied the design for the F-16A to make sure it would cover correctly and be in the correct place

aaDSCN2334.jpg

Placed in the cockpit control panels for both F-16A and B

aaDSCN2354.jpg

aaDSCN2353.jpg

Added the seats

aaDSCN2362.jpg

aaDSCN2363.jpg

Once I have added the canopies I will start the decaling and the undercarriages, wing tanks, Sidewinders and final bits of painting. I have created some blanks for the engine intakes so am not too concerned about the intake trunking.

Thanks for looking

Robert

• Like 2

coming up nicely Rob.

Just a small detail; for the 350 sqn BaF, you should remove the ECM antenna on both side of the papabrake.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi next installment and completion. Sorry not any photos taken for the decaling and finishing off as it was pretty straight forward. Firstly, thanks to Joseph for pointing out my error, it has now been corrected as you will see. Jens, I changed my mind and did the F-16B as an early Norwegian aircraft. There was not much more to add as everything went along smoothly.  I used a mixture of Xtracrylix/Vallejo acrylics over a Tamiya XF-2 white undercoat for the scheme and mixed the Orange/Red to match the decal for the BAF aircraft, quite pleased with that. The decals went on OK without any hassle apart from the walkway line which came from the ESCI kit and were very matt and breakable. I added the HUD glass  and finished off the nose pitot and AOA sensors from Master brass parts. Fuel tanks added and was good to say they are finished. I enjoyed these blast from the past as they are still nice kits.

F-16A FA-18 350 Sqn 1 Wing Belgian Air Force 45th Anniversary scheme 1986-7

aaDSCN2389.jpg

F-16B 305 332 Skv R No AF 1983

aaDSCN2377.jpg

Thanks for the replies and Rich for organising the STGB

Robert

• Like 8

I am not really a F-16 fan, but I must admit these two models look superb and Esci does not come to mind when looking at them.

Great show!

JR