Tamiya 1/72 ilyushin il-2

Richwade

Just had this delivered and am eager to get started as soon as the 109 is finished! From first impressions this is a superbly detailed kit for the size but will browse the Internet for a few etched parts but should be a nice build!

image_zpscyhoqj5l.jpeg

I've seen this one in model shops, I've always wanted to pick one up. I managed to get a 1/48th early IL2 by Accurate Miniatures with a whole bunch of resin on eBay for a really decent price. Look forward to seeing what you come up with man!

• Like 1

So here goes now the 109 is done I'll crack on with this bad boy! Which I have really been looking forward to so hope all goes well. Here's the obligatory spru pics and the add on's I'll be using. I'll keep updating as I go but feel there will be a lot of sanding involved tonight so wish me luck! 

image_zpseiuid09v.jpegimage_zpsp2vqu8x6.jpeg

Been so busy at work over the weekend so not got a lot done, but looking forward to a day off tomorrow and getting a lot of work done on this. On a side note no one warned me how fiddly this photo etch is at this scale! But I will persevere :D

image_zpsoc5rqi4c.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

Crack on rich,going to be good , i got myself one of those magnifying lamps from  hobby craft for such things and now i find myself using it all the time,couldnt do with out it now

Glynn

I have one too! 👍🏻 it's when you have to bend the sides on the box parts that's made me use many unrepeatable words 😂 But not rushing it I know it'll come together in the end

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Richwade said:

I have one too! 👍🏻 it's when you have to bend the sides on the box parts that's made me use many unrepeatable words 😂 But not rushing it I know it'll come together in the end

rich the pe bending jigs are pretty redundant on small 1/72 stuff, like me you probably use  fine nosed tweezers do the job just as well, but yove got your work cut out there,  threading buckles on seat belts at 1/48 scale blows my mind,good luck

Glynn

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hewy said:

rich the pe bending jigs are pretty redundant on small 1/72 stuff, like me you probably use  fine nosed tweezers do the job just as well, but yove got your work cut out there,  threading buckles on seat belts at 1/48 scale blows my mind,good luck

Glynn

Got this Half done with a wash and pretty pleased with the result but your right Glynn it wasn't easy! 

Edited by Richwade
Forgot photo
  • Like 1

Got the interior finished and fitted, there were loads of brass parts to put in this and was extremely fiddly but I got there in the end and although the photos are not great it looks the part. As for the fuselage halves they went together well but unlike other tamiyas I've built and to my surprise there were small gaps that needed filling and sanding specially toward the rear wheel housing but it wasn't a big deal 

cheers 

rich

image_zpsghnhyfln.jpegimage_zpsce2lrryy.jpegimage_zpscbfwhza8.jpeg

image_zps06xoorli.jpegimage_zps4hycbah0.jpegSo again to my shock the fit on the wings isn't great either! Not the worse I've come across but a significant step on the lower fuselage and small gaps on the top of the wing nothing a little filler and sanding then rescribing can't fix but I'm still yet to find that "Tamiya fit". But I expect I'll have it sorted and first lot of paint on in no time.

image_zpsf6n3sf6u.jpeg

That's looking great Rich. I built this kit myself oob and it's got to be one of my favourite kits so far. It's nicely detailed and goes together without any issue. I'll follow along with interest to see the finished product. I'll have to post some pics of mine when I get a chance although I'm currently in the thick of 3 group builds on BM!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, planecrazee said:

That's looking great Rich. I built this kit myself oob and it's got to be one of my favourite kits so far. It's nicely detailed and goes together without any issue. I'll follow along with interest to see the finished product. I'll have to post some pics of mine when I get a chance although I'm currently in the thick of 3 group builds on BM!!!

Thank you mate I'm really enjoying it and feels nice to build something a little different! I'd love to see what you made of it like you say it's a great kit but as mentioned above I did find a couple of fit issues but they were easily sorted. And 3 builds! Hats off to ya I thought doing one a month was good going 😂

I don't normally build that many at once but my new year's resolution was to get involved in as many group builds as possible - not sure if that was a good idea or not! 

Was it a champagne driven resolution? Haha I think doing the different stages 3 times over all at once would drive me mad so you now have my full respect :yes:

You're probably right Rich - drink fuelled madness!!! Building 3 at once has both advantages and disadvantages so the jury is still out on whether or not it's a good idea although I appreciate your respect :thumbsup:

I imagine there would be an urge to rush it? Or maybe that's just my impatience. I enjoy model making more than any other hobby I have but still find some aspects laborious as I'm sure a lot of people do! What are the builds out of interest? :D

Well considering up until these 3 group builds I'd never built a jet - I'm now building 3. I'm building a hasegawa F-16, a Zvezda Mig 21 and an airfix de havilland vampire so fingers crossed I can do them justice. 

3 awesome aircraft I once built a Tamiya f-16 and was probably the best kit I've ever come across. I'll take a look on your page and give them a follow if your posting wips :yes: