Image manipulation

It took me a long time to sort out how to do this.    This is my model of the Preussen (25 feet to 1 inch scratchbuilt), photographed from a low angle.    After a lot of experimentation, I managed to produce a reflective sea base for it using "Sqirlz" free reflection software.     Not as easy as it sounded.   It worked the first time, then I could not get it to save after that, although I could get the sea reflection easy enough.    Eventually, I copied the image with "Print Screen."     I inserted it into an Open Office WP document and cropped the edges off.    Then I right clicked the image and pressed "copy."       Then I opened a new Adobe Photoshop file, put the curser in it and clicked "CTRL V"    The image then appeared.    Finally, I used "save as" to turn it into a jpeg, and here it is:

I am sure there must be an easier way, but haven't found it so far!

Bob

Preussen_via_Photoshop.jpg

Edited by ShipbuilderMN
Spelling mistake.
  • Like 7

Looks very effective and nice windjammer! 

Photoshop is a powerful tool to achieve pretty much anything, it takes years to learn all the little tricks and still find out there was an easier way to do it years down the line! 

True enough!     I only used Photoshop to convert the image to jpeg and save it.     I have no idea why I can't save it in "Sqirlz"  where the reflection image was generated, because it worked the first time I tried it, but now, it is just locked solid after I have completed the image.   Tried it in another computer with the same result.

Bob

You  must be able to do this in photoshop,  I'd google up 'water reflection tool' (for example) for  photoshop,  it might just need  a plug-in.

Or, maybe the effect name in photoshop is not 'water reflection' but is  another filter. 

Maybe  use full edit (hit edit, then 'full edit') and to change the thread title, say 'water reflection effect in photoshop?'  and see what the hive mind  can come up with.

HTH

T

Thanks for replies.     The "Sqirlz" free reflection software, is definitely free, there is no mention anywhere of having to pay after a trial.    I found several offering free software, but you have to download a "dodgy" PDF converter with it, or you can't get it.     No doubt it could be done in Photoshop or even on a normal computer if I had the patience and attention span to put my mind to it:D         I will probably look further into this when the mood takes me, but at the moment, the above result is OK, as I don't need to do this with a lot of images.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I have now figured out how to work it properly, and save it.   Here is a miniature model of the tea clipper Norman Court, photographed from a low angle with a sea reflection added.    The scale is 32 feet to 1 inch (1:384) and model is only a few inches long.      Turned out better than I thought.

Bob

Norman_Court_Becalmed_Large.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...