[bandai] C3-PO & R2D2

Hi there,

As i see that i am not the only Star Wars fan here (there is a good bunch of pretty Star Wars kits builds here), this is some pictures of my C3-PO and R2D2 WIP

C3-Po was very easy to build

c-3Po.jpg

R2D2's colors was not very nice in my humble opinion. The blue parts and the aluminium parts didn't pleased me so i decided to paint them.

So I sprayed a coat of white on the white parts, and a coat of Tam X4 blue on the blue parts.

Then i coated the grey parts with a layer of Alclaad black primer

gloss-black.jpg

After a couple of days i started to spray some Alclaad aluminium layers on the black parts

alclaad1.jpg

alclaad2.jpg

I've been very pleased by the alclaad render - it was the first time i used this product.

The metalic render is very good.

The only problem was that the R2D2's head is made from two half domes that don't fit very well...

r2d2-dome.jpg

I used some Klir + talc powder to seal the gap between the two parts :

mascage-r2.jpg

The R2D2 main body is very great looking too (as the R5D4 provided with R2D2)

r2etr5.jpg

The following steps of the build was very easy too

This is the Two Droïds at this time :

c3-r2-biblio.jpg

And here they are included in a Star Wars back ground

c3etR2-R.jpg

I'm thinking to add some weathering on R2D2 (water+ liquid soap + pastel powders) but i'm affraid to try a weathering on C3-PO because don't know what to use on that shinny gold and chrome plastics to keep them shinny and also because i read that some plastics used by Bandai don't like certain solvents and i no longer remember which ones.

Any advices please, some body  ?

Thanks by advance

Have a nice day !

• Like 4

When I did mine I wanted them slightly tarnished, not so heavily weathered. All I did was apply some oil painting wipe it away after a couple of minutes.

I think it really helped pick out the details 3PO and the paneling on R2.

IMG_7075_zpsjuxnlmh6.jpg

IMG_7079_zpslkkijcuj.jpg

• Like 4

I used a oil paint & solvent on R5D4 which I built 1st... It eat through his ankles poor soul... I did manage to save the kit but his feet are glued into place.

After a bit of experimenting with left over parts and sprue I figured out its the solvent not the oil paint that Bandai plastic doesn't like.

Have a bit of a play with some of the spare C3PO parts.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2017 at 10:18 PM, Dreamcatcher said:

So just oil painting + wipe, no juice (oil painting + solvent + wipe)... interresting, i will try this on a old model kit.

Thanks a lot for your help ! :-)

Kind regards

Have you thought about clay washes?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi !

Here is a first attempt of (light) weathering using pastel chalks + water + windows cleaner fluid :

r2-211.jpg

r2-312.jpg

I've been pleased to see that the wash made with pastel powder + water and windows cleaner soap can also be used on alclaad !

• Like 1