1/72 Welsh Models B737 BBJ

This is one of my shelf of doom projects. It started life as a Welsh 1/72 Wedgetail but since I have a number of projects this year for a 34SQN RAAF Club display I am repurposing the build to a BBJ (the Wedgie will be built another time).

New APU housing fitted
24305581588_b5d8106006_b.jpg

You can see the layers of paint/primer sanded back :D But I will have to add some putty to fair it in.

More paint removed to add the Satcom antenna fairing
37448073584_464f93b814_b.jpg

Fairing fitted. It is a bit squarish so I have knocked the edges down a little to round it off.
38102651106_b26af2496b_b.jpg

Vertical stab attached
24305580858_063abea191_b.jpg

Some attention to the wing tips to removed them in prep for fitting winglets
24305580678_c41d3934a9_b.jpg

38102650816_a8c4e4c982_b.jpg

And finally, engines are tacked on so I can figure out how much I need to extend the struts (have been told it is 6mm, so that is where I will start). Also added a friend to show size.
37448072664_53d700348f_b.jpg

Edited by Romeo Alpha Yankee
Image links updated
  • Like 12

Wow this is impressive!

Coming along very nicely!

I wish Airfix or some other big kit manufacturer would make some airliners like this.

I get the point of space issues but danm it would be cool!

Edited by Maverick231
  • Like 1

Looking good...

My dad built the P-8 Poseidon a few years back, and if I recall correctly the main gear struts are ok length-wise, and it's the nose wheel that needs extending otherwise the intake rings touch the ground.

I like Welsh Models kits - they go together really well - but I wish he'd provide the cockpit transparencies as a whole clear 'roof' (like Heller do with their 707/AWACs kits) as I feel if you want the cockpit glazing clear (rather than using decal) it is very difficult to get a decent job done. Still, at least Welsh offer these large-scale airliner kits and thus I shouldn't complain too much.

Will look forward to seeing this one done.

And is that the C-17 I spot in the background...? Nudge nudge...

Tom

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darren Rhodes said:

Hi Ray, great to see another vacform, and some attention given a model on the shelf of doom.  Subscribed! Nice progress being made and that will be an impressive, though I am still in awe of the relative size of that C-17! (Anigrand?)

Darren

Yes, it's part of the Anigrand C-17, the livery for the BBJ will be Royal Australian Air Force, 34SQN.

Boeing_737-7DF(BBJ),_Australia_-_Royal_A

On 26/01/2017 at 10:52 PM, tomprobert said:

Looking good...

My dad built the P-8 Poseidon a few years back, and if I recall correctly the main gear struts are ok length-wise, and it's the nose wheel that needs extending otherwise the intake rings touch the ground.

I like Welsh Models kits - they go together really well - but I wish he'd provide the cockpit transparencies as a whole clear 'roof' (like Heller do with their 707/AWACs kits) as I feel if you want the cockpit glazing clear (rather than using decal) it is very difficult to get a decent job done. Still, at least Welsh offer these large-scale airliner kits and thus I shouldn't complain too much.

Will look forward to seeing this one done.

And is that the C-17 I spot in the background...? Nudge nudge...

Tom

I ended up with your dad's leftover decals from that build :D for my P-8, though now the RAAF has its own I guess I will build mine as a  RAAF 11SQN P-8A.

I found I had to extend the struts on all the gear legs, see the next post...

Re; the C-17... I know I know, I will get back to it one day, perhaps before the Kinetic kit hits the shelves....

• Like 1

On with the build,

I spent the most of yesterday arvo extending the landing gear struts. I used some K&S brass tube and rod lengths.  I also modified the legs themselves as they don't seem to resemble the 737 gear leg much. I still need to create the retraction/extension arm as the Welsh kit also has you put it in the wrong place.

24305580388_f693f91ac4_b.jpg

37448072384_39db0f0dbf_b.jpg

38102649926_aa95f2c59c_b.jpg

Image links updated
  • Like 3

Nice work on the gear and that livery looks very attractive, it's even got a cheat line! Puts the RAF Voyager livery to shame. :fraidnot:  Didn't know the RAAF had BBJs, learnt something new today. :)

Out of curiosity, Ray, what types of filler do you use? The surface finish is looking good.  

Darren

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Darren Rhodes said:

Nice work on the gear and that livery looks very attractive, it's even got a cheat line! Puts the RAF Voyager livery to shame. :fraidnot:  Didn't know the RAAF had BBJs, learnt something new today. :)

Out of curiosity, Ray, what types of filler do you use? The surface finish is looking good.  

Darren

The RAAF BBJs are coming to the end of their service soon, been around since 2000!I worked at the squadron up until 1998 when we operated Falcon 900s.

These days I use Tamiya White Putty since I do so many white liveries, I have also tried the grey but it seems to make more of a mess when sanding

13 hours ago, kev67 said:

Great progress, I find Welshmodels quite frustrating as large resin parts don't glue very well to vac form parts

Totally agree Kev, I have resorted to trying to pin them, we will see how this works out.

• Like 1

Hi Ray, thanks for for the info on the RAAF BBJs and 34 sqn.  Some airlines would consider 15 years mid life.  Tamiya putty is one of the few putties I have yet to try, must add some to my shopping list.  For major joints, my current favourite is superglue and talc.  It dries quick, hard, scribes well and doesn't shrink, but it's so hard it's takes quite a bit of effort to sand. 

Darren

I like Tamiya as it sets pretty hard, it does shrink so for large gaps a couple of applications is required.

Added the flap track fairings and one of the stabs and started some filling

38126029522_34d034e9fe_b.jpg

37448071094_3025cb37f1_b.jpg

You may have also noticed a little sanding back of the fuselage

Image links updated
  • Like 1

Going back a step I replaced the stumpy bit on the exhaust cone with brass

24305579828_e67a289c69_b.jpg

and used an aluminium sleeve and brass to reinforce the tailplane fit.

24305579668_62e9ca8f0b_b.jpg

38102649166_4c4efc9275_b.jpg

and a close up of the fitment of the flap track fairings
38102649406_43bb61e2bf_b.jpg

Image links updated
  • Like 2

Good to see more progress Ray, that's a lot of sanding done there and a serious tailplane attachment tube!

Fascinating, seeing how everyone's workflow is a little different. I appreciate it's 1/72 and not 1/144, however, I rarely if ever, attach engines or tailplanes on civil aircraft until after all painting and decalling is done, as I find they just get in the way of painting and polishing.  With 1/72 military, it's a different matter as engines are mostly integral. 

Darren

• Like 1

Darren,

I try to leave things like engines and stabs off until later but I found that the gaps between the parts would be an eye sore ( to me). So in this case I preferred to glue everything and have the masking nightmare later :D

56 minutes ago, TrojanThunder said:

Darren,

I try to leave things like engines and stabs off until later but I found that the gaps between the parts would be an eye sore ( to me). So in this case I preferred to glue everything and have the masking nightmare later :D

It's about trade-offs! ;-)

• Like 1

Winglets fitted
38102648416_8b16edc095_b.jpg

White done
38126028882_0fec874d6d_b.jpg

One thing I had to sort out prior to painting the grey was my diminishing supplies of Boeing and Airbus grey.

So I sprayed some Testors FS16515 and Xtracolour Airbus grey onto a bit of plastic and took it over to our new Bunnings Warehouse. Had the colours matched in an oil-based enamel (White Knight brand).

I have also been working on another 34SQN mount....

36368047302_13550ab0f9_b.jpg

The Bunnings mixed paint has worked really well.

37448089114_ca313d0e6a_b.jpg

Masking removed
37448088734_9198abcb08_b.jpg

• Like 1