Any easy valve fix?

Beardie

Hi all,

Looking for any tips to save me having to dismantle my compressor. I would guess that the valve on the tank that goes back to the unloader valve has stuck open so that the tank won't hold pressure and the air comes hissing straight out of the unloader as soon as the tank reaches cut-off pressure. I have had this before on more than one compressor and I had to dismantle the coupling and clean the valve components and then re-seal it all.

Is there any sneaky fix to avoid this tedious work?

Hi Marty,

if its accessible try giving it a sharp tap to free it then see if it sticks again when you run it, if it does, free it again & try a drop of penetrating oil etc. etc. Have you got a water trap between the comp & tank & a drain on the tank?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi sorry, I missed your post. It freed up by itself this time. I have a bad habit of leaving it fully pressurised (sometimes for days) which I suspect doesn't help. I have had the self same sticking on several compressors in the past. I guess it is impurities or water in the air causing it to gum up. There isn't a water trap between the compressor and tank, only on the output from the tank. I wonder if, perhaps a little injection of water and something like fairy liquid might clean the valve. My initial thought was lighter fluid through the air intake but I am guessing that squirting flammable liquid into a piston and cylinder arrangement might not be the cleverest idea I have ever had :boom:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just noticed your post, quick on the uptake I am :D Haven't blown myself up.......yet :D The valve seems to have freed up just fine and the compressor hasn't missed a beat since.