Question about olive drab shades/colors

Spitfires Forever

Yes, Nick is a real treasure when it comes to paint, colors, etc.  especially regarding just about any thing to do with military aircraft. He is much appreciated, as well as other Britmodeller "old hands", so thanks again Nick, please don't ever hesitate to chime in on these subjects my friend, it makes these subjects so much more informative and down right fascinating.

Cheers

Randy "Spitfire addict" Rydjeski

On 27/1/2017 at 6:58 PM, KRK4m said:

Somewhere in the mid-60s I've bought a Revell 1/72 P-47D, then numbered H-613. It was years before the Humbrol Authentic range appeared on the market. But I remember well the recipe Revell had printed there for the Olive Drab and Neutral Gray. NG had to be the result of mixing Black and White 1:1, while OD used the same proportions for... Black and Yellow. I don't remember today (mind it was more than half a century ago) whether I have used Humbrol 24, 33 and 34 or Airfix M6, M10 and M15. But I do remember that since then I have never seen better matching (i.e. more convincing) USAAF colours on the Jug...

Cheers

Michael 

IMHO, I think both are a bit off. OD has a Brownish hue that a Black&Yellow can hardly give (unless you use a really orangish one); that pure mix gives you a colour more like Interior Green (FS34151), so to speak. The same with Neutral Gray; it was not simply B&W.

FErnando

Having just read this thread i can offer the following if members are prepared to mix.  Using Archer's replicated swatches I came up with these mixes for Dark Olive Drab No.41

1)  2 x H163 +5 x H155.  This provides a shade slightly lighter and more brown than the book.

2)  6 x H242 + 5 x H155.  Again slightly light but fine for the faded browner shade.

3)  4 x H241 +3 x H155.  Slightly lighter but OK as faded, not as brown as 2.

You won't need to scale effect these unless you want a really faded appearance.

To go with the above Neutral Gray No.43 is not a straight grey, it has red in it.  Mix 2 x H246 + 1 x 240.  This will look decidedly mauve when wet, do not adjust it, it dries fine and slightly lighter than the book sample 

• Like 4

On 25/01/2017 at 9:02 PM, SovereignHobbies said:

Our Olive Drab 41 (ACUS15) is fairly brown

ACUS15rgb_1024x1024.jpg?v=1482603548

My daughter used it on her Airfix 1:72 P-40B and it looked fairly decent but I seem to have killed Photobucket now.

Keep your eye on Photobucket I won't believe it's dead until it hasn't moved for a month. I hates it I does. Nasty.:winkgrin:

Begging message sent to the other Nick as I'm about to enter the confusing world of US Flying Machines.

It is a good thing to have several variations at one's disposal. Quite apart from differential fading, chalking etc., across different parts of the airframe with different intensities of UV exposure, some sub-assemblies came pre-painted from different locations on some types. Also, paint on fabric often takes on a different visual impression from paint on metal, and there's always unit-level repair and touch-up going on.

Edited by Work In Progress
appalling typing
  • Like 2

Joining this thread a bit late, but I am reminded of an IPMS Convention in Atlanta some years ago. I attended a talk given by Dana Bell. At the beginning Dana passed out a card with a number of different paint chips of green and brown hues. Dana asked the attendees to name each chip. Considerable debate ensued as to what each chip represented. Dana eventually relented and informed us that they were all US Olive Drab.

Don't get too AR over the particular shade or hue of any colour. :banghead:  Just get a match somewhere in the ball park. I'm often questioned about particular RAAF colours, particularly Foliage Green. I never give a definitive answer, just a range of hues that it could be, based on the samples and paint charts I have seen or collected over the years. I also recall how much the colours on aircraft I've worked with can differ. Yeah, different hues of nominally the same colour.

Peter M , staying cool :D

• Like 3