AZModel 1-72 Morane Saulnier Type G - Back in Time for Dnieper

clive_t

Just one other thing done today - a thin pencil line to suggest criss-crossed tension wires under the linen, then another go with the kleer to hopefully seal it all in:

33172816532_7666d4f1f6_b.jpg

• Like 2

Tail skid day today.

From looking at my various diagrams, however, it looks like the control wires to the horizontal stabilisers pass inside the skid framework, so I figured it would be a better strategy to apply the rigging first:

33361719895_dec63a252c_b.jpg

Then the rest of the skid framework:

33234084031_093a2af8f4_b.jpg

Overcome with my apparent success, I had a rush of blood to the head and applied some of the decals. Fiddly things they were, too, some of them. The Russian Imperial emblem (2-headed eagle) in lieu of the more usual 'MS' emblem:

33321273896_c486e6b5e7_b.jpg

Fuselage roundel went on OK:

33321276056_a4024616d2_b.jpg

It actually reads 'MS' in the top corner of the tail fin:

32547621943_061551896f_b.jpg

Nesterov's aicraft carried the number '281':

32547622433_08edc90dfc_b.jpg

Wheels were then applied to the undercarriage unit:

33321284996_eb74c2ae03_b.jpg

With those in place, I then returned to the tail. This time, the rigging on the upper side:

33321294406_ec70d33ffc_b.jpg

Then finally, for now, the tail skid complete:

33361740285_d51b9bdc9a_b.jpg

Getting near the end now.

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Old Man said:

Excellent work, Sir!

This is shaping up to be quite a nice model.

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Seconded, OM! She's really looking the part, nice job!

Ian

Thanks, sirs, much appreciated.

Today is Day of the Decal Part Deux; and while we are about it, some more rigging of control lines, partly complete (the control yoke) and partly in readiness for the undercarriage when it is finally fitted:

33399438586_6e0de9ab6a_b.jpg

One other small addition, again noticed on a diagram - mounted underneath the engine, what looks like some sort of drain pipe, possibly for excess lubricant or something of that nature. This I fashioned in the time-honoured way, by heat-stretched sprue, cut to a short length and glued in place:

32626019493_a63de2c9a2_b.jpg

Getting close to the final battle! Just 4 more bits to fit, then the rigging...

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 2

On 14/03/2017 at 5:11 PM, allyby said:

Great work for such a small scale, I doff my cap to you!

Thank you sir, it would simply not be possible without the aid of my head-mounted magnifier - in fact, I wish I could wear it full time!

More progress this morning - I decided to revisit the use of oils to graduate the colour tones on the wings, only this time with proper 'oil' paints. Mainly because the central white part of the roundel looked way too 'clean'. The result, on the underside:

32645154634_1e3aee3f91_b.jpg

Topside:

33360330201_cdc3a73717_b.jpg

Quite pleased with that, if I am honest!

Now I need to resist the temptation to try and do too much to it while the paint dries. I may have to start considering what I am going to do next, to make best use of this day!

• Like 3

Hmm yes, having looked back at the previous pics, i see what you mean. I don't think the gloss look from the layer of Kleer helped it either.

I can vouch for messing around with oil paints is very therapeutic though! :)

On 18/03/2017 at 1:49 AM, Old Man said:

Some very nice variations in the color there.

Thanks OM.

More progress today, not the least of which is... the undercart finally appended:

33154263520_dc251bded3_b.jpg

It took a little bit of fettling to make the thing sit level, but we got there. Observant persons will also notice a subtle change to the wire support in front of the cockpit - I didn't like the kit one as it looked too thick, so off with that and on with a small piece of crimped and bent wire in its place. Much more the part, I am thinking.

With the undercart in place, I could finish the rigging of the control wires. This required a third limb, ably supplied by Messrs Heath, Robinson and Co. The tweezers were precisely positioned to hold the EZ-Line in place while I applied a drop of CA to fix it:

32723461803_45416ba0b6_b.jpg

With the control rigging done, I then applied the step - yet again the kit offering left rather a lot to be desired, so a short length of wire was pressed (or more accurately, bent) into service:

32723466733_b7489f8a1b_b.jpg

Finally for today, the start of the top-side rigging - more EZ-Line. Much conjecture here about how many lines were used to support the wings, but I am basing mine as much as possible on an old photo of Nesterov's contemporary, Kozakov, with what is presumably his aircraft. This shows the wings are supported by 2 banks of 3 wires top and bottom:

32723472613_d6ff18a537_b.jpg

Nearing the home straight now :)

Thanks for watching!

• Like 2

Top-side rigging completed today:

32713028914_255ff53299_b.jpg

I then made a start on the underside rigging:

33427672271_29413a4456_b.jpg

My eyes are stinging like mad from all the close focus work over the past couple of days, but I am nearing the end now.

4 minutes ago, Killingholme said:

Arrgh those elastic bands:o. I cringe thinking what would happen if one of those suddenly slipped off your jig!!

seriously though, excellent modelling, thanks for showing us how it's done- not enough 1/72 WWI builds on here.

Will

Thanks Will, much appreciated.

Actually that did happen today, one of the bands pinged off; thankfully the other held firm otherwise it could have gotten messy. I think i will cut a slot in each of the wing supports to ensure that doesn't happen again. In fairness I'd have to say that the jig is probably the best investment I've made in modelling equipment in a long time. I couldn't have done the rigging without it.

15 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Thanks Will, much appreciated.

Actually that did happen today, one of the bands pinged off; thankfully the other held firm otherwise it could have gotten messy. I think i will cut a slot in each of the wing supports to ensure that doesn't happen again. In fairness I'd have to say that the jig is probably the best investment I've made in modelling equipment in a long time. I couldn't have done the rigging without it.

Yeah, it does look well designed. Where did you source it?

Will

Underside rigging complete:

32732493204_1e41c8bfbb_b.jpg

And the last piece to be fitted - the prop:

33192413940_3c0953632b_b.jpg

Just a bit of a clean-up on the paintwork, plus maybe a little oil-staining and that'll be that!

Thanks for watching!

• Like 2

Thanks Ian, I think the use of lengths of copper wire to support the wings helped greatly in keeping them level. In fact, I didn't even glue them to the fuselage!

Calling her done, I think:

32778839164_d9b3420bf5_b.jpg

32807591643_18df55b0d6_b.jpg

32807593143_1f9339c2e4_b.jpg

RFI pics (plus a bit of a back-story) are in the process of being selected (and written) and a thread will created in due course, but for now here's my 'studio' set up ready for the photo-shoot:

33464726572_85f09cee80_b.jpg

Thanks for following along!