Ferguson petit gris base

Hewy

I've made my first diorama base for my little grey tractor,the heller 1/24 kit ,petit gris,i made a static grass applicator from instructions off the interweb and it worked quite well could have done with a bit longer grass against the wall i think, i cast the cobbles from resin using a sheet of formulay vac mold for armour dioramas i thought that casting in plaster of paris would have been too thick,and i wanted to bend it to simulate a sunken well travelled track,the wall was made from preformed  plasticard and the cappings on the wall were cut using insulation foam,the gate was made from coffe stirrers, I'll put the tractor and the new plough I've scratch built for it on the base and do some photos as soon as better light allows, thanks

2017-07-09_06-24-45

2017-07-09_06-32-222017-07-09_06-33-00

I've rustled  up some replacement pictures after the photo bucket debacle

Edited by Hewy
Photo bucket ,now on flickr
  • Like 17

That's proper good that is. The applicator seems to have worked more than okay. (I'm guessing like mine, your's is made from a 'bug zapper'?) The grass is lovely, the cobbles are great, the wall is good and the gate is superb.

BTW

I've noticed a 'crack' along the middle of the cobbles, no doubt where you bent the sheet? I've been experimenting with latex moulds and plaster of paris recently ,and maybe you should have tried that after all as you could have made a latex mould of the original, then bent the mould, then poured the latex? And I like the fact that the plaster of paris can be carved easily afterwards.

Anyway, that's probably only something to consider if you make lots of dioramas.

Great work and I look forward to seeing the tractor in place.

Rearguards,

Badder

5 minutes ago, Badder said:

That's proper good that is. The applicator seems to have worked more than okay. (I'm guessing like mine, your's is made from a 'bug zapper'?) The grass is lovely, the cobbles are great, the wall is good and the gate is superb.

BTW

I've noticed a 'crack' along the middle of the cobbles, no doubt where you bent the sheet? I've been experimenting with latex moulds and plaster of paris recently ,and maybe you should have tried that after all as you could have made a latex mould of the original, then bent the mould, then poured the latex? And I like the fact that the plaster of paris can be carved easily afterwards.

Anyway, that's probably only something to consider if you make lots of dioramas.

Great work and I look forward to seeing the tractor in place.

Rearguards,

Badder

Well spotted badder i tried to make the resin thin enough to bend with warm water i had run out of silicone moulding rubber ,after casting greeblees for a hasbro millennium falcon I'm working on but your right there were better ways to do it,to be honest i didn't notice the crack till I'd just about finished painting it,it is or was a fly zapper yes,the rest of the ground was made up from plaster of paris ,thanks badder.

Glynn

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for having a gander and liking what I've done ,really enjoyed this whole series of builds ,tractor, plough and the diorama, a cracking mojo restorer,, but its the end of the line

Glynn

2017-07-09_06-43-59

Edited by Hewy
Photo bucket ,now on flickr
  • Like 13

9 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

You just need a length of orange baler twine on the gate to fasten it with, and you're done.

Suffolk farms obviously use the same high-tech solutions as the ones here in Essex.

An excellent representation of the Little Grey Ferg Hewey, my father (who used to drive a tractor just like that in his youth) suggests that the only thing you could add is the hessian sack which was used both as a seat cushion or a shelter when it was raining.

• Like 2

Lovely work, you've captured the essence of the tractor beautifully and the dio work is really convincing also.

True story; when I was a kid one of my friends was a dairy farmers son and one of his jobs was to scrape the yard after the cows had been in it. For this purpose they had a la'al grey fergie (as above) and he would reverse scrape all the liquid cow manure into their large sunken slurry pit adjacent to the yard. Being a 10 year old kid on a tractor he loved to show off, wheelspinning in the muck and flying backwards towards the pit as fast as he could before braking at the last minute. The tractor must have been all of forty years old at the time and not in the best of repair and on one famous occasion he tried to stop on the brink of the pit with a flashy gear change and a wheel spin, only to cock it up. By some miracle he managed to brake at the last second before he disappeared into a 15 foot deep pit of cow dung with a ton of tractor on top of him. Cloth was touched and he was more careful after that.

• Like 1

That really is beautiful Glynn. The tractor, the weathering and the scenic display base are all fantastically well done! You have created a really believable scene. Very impressive! Well done. :worthy::worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goggsy said:

Lovely work, you've captured the essence of the tractor beautifully and the dio work is really convincing also.

True story; when I was a kid one of my friends was a dairy farmers son and one of his jobs was to scrape the yard after the cows had been in it. For this purpose they had a la'al grey fergie (as above) and he would reverse scrape all the liquid cow manure into their large sunken slurry pit adjacent to the yard. Being a 10 year old kid on a tractor he loved to show off, wheelspinning in the muck and flying backwards towards the pit as fast as he could before braking at the last minute. The tractor must have been all of forty years old at the time and not in the best of repair and on one famous occasion he tried to stop on the brink of the pit with a flashy gear change and a wheel spin, only to cock it up. By some miracle he managed to brake at the last second before he disappeared into a 15 foot deep pit of cow dung with a ton of tractor on top of him. Cloth was touched and he was more careful after that.

Nice tale goggsy,i dont think any one would have noticed  the pong after the follow through, would they,,cheers 

Glynn

• Like 1