Lancaster fuselage code letters - correct size?

Wm Blecky

I am looking at picking up a set of Xtradecals 1/72 dull red bomber code letters decal sheet to replace some questionable sized markings on another decal sheet.  Could anyone steer me towards the correct Xtradecals sheet for this please?

The sheets I am trying to decide from are:

X72RAF2

FWIW, it's a Kits World decal sheet that I want to replace the fuselage codes on, the RCAF 431 Squadron Lanc:

KW72108   KW72108_2.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Whilst happy to stand corrected, I believe you are on the right track with the 48" numbers and letters, plus the 8"ones for the serials.

I use these for Lancasters along with (where appropriate) the RAFDEC RF7203  red/yellow 5 Group late war codes.

I have reservations about the claimed accuracy of the Kitsworld decals and drawings. For an organisation devoted to accuracy, some of their profiles can be misleading.

For example: ball turrets on their Ploesti B-24D sets, missing H2S radome on The Lancaster "Nick the Nazi Neutralizer", etc

Michael

• Thanks 1

Lancaster codes were normally 48" lettering, but not every aeroplane was painted correctly. Why do you think the ones you have on the KW sheet are wrong? Do you have a clear photograph of KB837 wearing different lettering?

The only even vaguely relevant photo I can find is this one, which is likely of a 431 Squadron aircraft, but I don't see any particular evidence that it is KB837. If you have unambiguous photographs it would be useful to see them.

p_squadron431b.jpg

from eyeballing the Kits World sheet the proportions look to be the 48 x 30 inch type,  but a word  of caution, the RAF didn't actually have a "font" for codes, and they vary a lot.

IIRC the fuselage roundel is 48 inch diameter...

I was writing this when Michael posted....

a quick google

12761.jpg

codes look quite a lot smaller then the roundel in this shot...  and different to the KW profile...

EDIT re WIP post 

http://www.6bombergroup.ca/lanckb837.html

Lancaster X   KB-837 coded SE-X, of 431 Squadron 

HTH

Edited by Troy Smith
correction

Yes, I know someone somewhere on the internet says it is, but that's just an assertion with no evidence or provenance provided at all and as such has to be taken with a massive pinch of salt. You can't see the serial at all. Even if that is a little X up front by the nose turret, which it may be, squadron codes got recycled onto different airframes all the time.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

Lancaster, Stirling and Halifax "Type C1" ( National Marking (iii)) fuselage roundels were 54" diameter, not 48", which accounts for the difference in height (diameter) between that depicted in the photos and the code letters.  

There is an Airlife publication on the Lancaster that gives many serial number to code letter links: this shows that quite a number of aircraft sported more than one individual letter during their lives and a numbe of aircraft from the same unit wore the same individual code letter (but not at the same time, obviously).  Unfortunately I lent my copy to someone who's now moved away and taken it with him so I can't check for you.

There's  another thread running at present dealing with this subject in relation to 619 Squadron.  There was an AMO that stipulated size and style of lettering: for 48" high characters the width was supposed to be 30" with a stroke width of 5".  Outer radii at corners were 5" with inners of 1 1/4" IIRC but interpretation of this varied between units and even painters on the same unit.

• Like 3

From my research concerning Lancaster individual letters on aircraft, 100 Squadron, very few changed the letter once it was issued.

'C' Flight aircraft changed from FZ squadron codes to HW (When 'C; Flt. was absorbed into 'A' & 'B' flts) and even the individual aircraft code letter was changed as they were already on the allocated list with 'A' & 'B' flights

Certainly several aircraft carried the same letter, but that was after the previous aircraft was 'missing'  or posted away as happen twice with 100 Squadron Lancasters.

(100 Squadron formed 625 & 550 Squadron in 1943).

Ian

It's worth remembering that serials were applied at the factory so with few exceptions were of uniform presentation.  Standards for construction and finish - read contractual obligations - had to be enforced, how else can the factory deliver a proper product?

Codes are a different matter.  They were applied out at the squadrons, several steps removed from the factory.  I am not suggesting there were no controls but units exercised a good deal of discretion that wasn't available to the manufacturers.  Some Lancaster examples:  12 Squadron machines could be seen with the squadron and individual letters grouped aft of the roundel, 44 Squadron used small squadron letters and larger individual ones.  Not all machines, apparently, and not forever.  As always, photos tell the tale.

Edited by RJP
  • Like 1