P-47D Thunderbolt (Revell 1:144)

OK - So I thought I'd go for another quick 'gap fill' build whilst waiting for the NATO GB to commence. Not sure one of these has been a WIP before but figured it would be fun to post anyhow. I like that this one comes with a stand (whatever happened to aircraft kits having stands?) :) 

Just the one picture for Box, Sprue and Decals (two pence piece in there for scale)!!

32119552070_88157cdf2f_o.jpg

• Like 3

I'm in. :popcorn:

I have only built one of these 1/144 kits - it's the one in my avatar picture - and I too was impressed that it came with a stand.

I look forward to seeing this in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Nice to have you along Stix! :)

Tonight has been rather productive (with some unexpected work I must add). This part was fairly straight forward; though I did find it amusing that the clamps were bigger that the kit!!

32355091142_d177f02f1a_o.jpg

The first unexpected element was that although the kit comes with a stand, it's designed to be modelled with the undercarriage in the 'down' position. Hence, a thin strip of plastic in the wing was required to support a carved and sanded 'up' undercarriage 

32466425286_be6837ed98_o.jpg

Next was a strip of plastic to assist with supporting the filler that's required (there is a gap when the wings are fitted)

32385194481_5fa2393c32_o.jpg

Mind the Gap!!

32466425666_b67abbf5c9_o.jpg

Filler will also be required on the upper sides of the wings but I'm sure it will be OK once done :) 

32385195621_37657c2729_o.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

That looks like it will be very nice when finished, and a fun little project. I'd love a Platz 1/144 P-47 but haven't been able to find one. Yours looks better than most of the Revell and Crown 1/144 fighters though.

Thanks WIP (If I can call you that)! :) Fun is definitely the word! I'm sure hours could be spent on these if one wished. 

On 1/26/2017 at 10:10 PM, aircraftkit said:

Following this with interest - coming along nicely !

Don

Thank you Don - Almost over the finish line :) 

18 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That is looking amazing, especially considering the size!:hypnotised: Your paintwork looks superb! Very nicely done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Very kind of you Stix - Thank you :blush:

I must admit that masking the canopy was a bit of a fiddle!! A coat of aluminium to follow and then I'll have to see how it comes out :unsure: 

31782628754_c31737cf67_o.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

You forget to mention it has now got it's decals on! Really coming together quickly with those in place. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

I managed to put the decals on the other night Stix but forgot to take photos at the time :facepalm:

When making this one, the cannons were moulded to the wing and very vulnerable so I removed them. However, I ended up putting then in the bin by mistake :whistle:  Anyhow, after rummaging for something suitable, I found some spare resin handles from the jerry cans I used on by SAS Jeep. I cut these this morning and fixed them with cyano

32473938982_e39f2ae7f9_o.jpg

OK - Well here she is - Cannons and canopy fitted. Hope you like her!! 

32248009860_7db3df1b03_o.jpg

32473939762_7bdaba7fd6_o.jpg

And here's one 'on the shelf' for scale comparison. Between a 1/32 and a 1/48 with a couple of 1/72s in the front

32248010140_9fc481752d_o.jpg

Thanks for keeping me company with this one :) 

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1

That, is super impressive! Always wondered about this scale and I think you have convinced me. Frantically researching and searching hoping to join the Warsaw Pact GB and noticed lots of 1;44 stuff, I fancy a go. Great work, great skill.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

That, is super impressive! Always wondered about this scale and I think you have convinced me. Frantically researching and searching hoping to join the Warsaw Pact GB and noticed lots of 1;44 stuff, I fancy a go. Great work, great skill.

Thank you Valkyrie - I'll keep an eye out for your builds in the GB :) 

1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

I'm just returning to this hobby so please don't expect much :worry: Learning watching on here and each one I do marginally improves.

Ditto re. watching and learning. I pick up a lot from the site and then try to apply the techniques to my models.

I'm sure your build will be great. Enjoyment is the key ;)