Model Shop Owner

Submariner

I got drawn to this site by the discussion on Hornby and it's closure of concessions, some facts needed to be spoken as a lot of conjecture was floating around.

I am a very rare breed in the country today, retired from Royal Mail because of ill health I decided to invest what small pension I had in a model shop, we opened in May last year, and touch wood we are doing OK. We have started by selling products for model railways, we stock tools and scenics as well as kits in N and OO scale.

We realise that only dealing in model railway sis not going to provide much of an income, so we are about to diversify into the kit and wargame world, starting with Airfix, and the Pocket Bond range, we also have access to Trumpeter kits and accessories.

We have a website (testvalleymodels.com) all the new ranges will be added in the coming weeks.

Looking forward to taking part in the forums, as well as getting advice from the experts on here about what to stock for you modelers.

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum,

We are all a good bunch here, cant wait to see some of your builds.

My hats off to you sir for venturing into what is a dying breed of an opening an actual model shop.

We used to have a few in Wolverhampton (which is my local city) to me in Bilston, but now they have all gone.

Hobbycraft is local to me, but their range is dwindling.

Also took a butchers at your website, not bad at all.

Wayne.

Another modelshop within a 30 minute drive. :D 

I've just looked at the map and I realised I'd never have found you by accident as you're down a road I've never been down. It looks like that might have to change on Saturday. 

Good luck to your business.  My impression is that model railway shops have survived rather better than plastic model shops, but there does seem to have been something of a coming together since the low days of the 90s.  I can see why you want to stock a wider range of products, but suggest that going too deeply into the kind of fairly exotic subject that is favoured by many on this board (including me) probably wouldn't prove too generally profitable.

However, would you care to expand on your opening comments?  Which was conjecture, and which facts?

7 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

However, would you care to expand on your opening comments?  Which was conjecture, and which facts?

The conjecture was loosely based around why Hornby are closing the concessions, the fact is most of them were non profitable and the staff lacked the knowledge to sell the products, I now that isn't true for all of the concessions but it was for the majority.

Hornby are keeping about 20 concessions open, namely Hamleys, Harrods and the NRM at York.

Submariner, good luck with your venture.  I will let my local clubs know about your shop.  Romsey &District Model Railway Society (aka "the train club") and Romsey Modellers (or IPMS Romsey) known as "the plane club" at home, as both meet on a Wednesday evening it's easier to just say "I'm off to planes" - not that anyone takes much notice apart from the dog.  The plane club has quite a few railway modellers too; though they try to keep it quiet until they know you're one also!

Cheers

Will 

4 hours ago, Submariner said:

I got drawn to this site by the discussion on Hornby and it's closure of concessions, some facts needed to be spoken as a lot of conjecture was floating around.

I am a very rare breed in the country today, retired from Royal Mail because of ill health I decided to invest what small pension I had in a model shop, we opened in May last year, and touch wood we are doing OK. We have started by selling products for model railways, we stock tools and scenics as well as kits in N and OO scale.

We realise that only dealing in model railway sis not going to provide much of an income, so we are about to diversify into the kit and wargame world, starting with Airfix, and the Pocket Bond range, we also have access to Trumpeter kits and accessories.

We have a website (testvalleymodels.com) all the new ranges will be added in the coming weeks.

Looking forward to taking part in the forums, as well as getting advice from the experts on here about what to stock for you modelers.

That's good news, I only live in Southampton so will have to pop in and have a look. There is a shop that sounds a bit like yours called Bob and Sues Models in Dibden Purlieu just outside of Hythe, Hants, they sell a bit of a mix same as you and have survived. I hope it works out well for you. 

You should link your shop with our shops and venders section. I can't find your site here in the U.S. n Good Luck!

Hope the ventures proves rewarding for you in all ways Submariner!

We are down to one local shop which I cherish. So enjoyable to go to a physical location peruse all the goodies and converse with fellow hobbyists.

Good luck and please keep us updated!

Regards,

Robert

Welcome to the forum. It's great to see someone having a go in a sector that many think might have had its day. Based on the fact that there have been a few new shops opened in the past few years, maybe the reports of the demise of the model shop has been a bit premature. Your new shop isn't a million miles from where I am so if you do venture into more conventional plastic kits, I'm sure I'll pay the odd visit.

Best of luck.