Crushed Coral runways

pinetree_fella

Inspired in part by Mrs Plastix and her brilliant depiction of the Tamiya Komatsu bulldozer, I am looking to start building a Pacific Theatre base for a number of RNZAF 1:48 Aircraft. This needs to be a crushed coral runway and airparks, the bulldozer will be repairing bomb damage (I think).

So the question, how to make 1:48 scale crushed coral. 

I am thinking crushed kitty litter might be a good start and or crushed plaster wall board?

Any ideas greatfully explored.

Cheers

Pinetree

• Like 1

Hi Pinetree,

I used crushed kitty litter for a 1/72 Pacific airstrip diorama - wasn't long back in the hobby so it's a bit rough and ready in places. I thought it worked great for the scale. Plus it has that naturally dusty texture to it. Might it be too small for 1/48 though? Not sure but I'd say it's worth trying out - the litter is random sized too which I liked.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here and better examples than mine too! :D

Good luck with your build and look forward to seeing some pictures.

Dermot

What about the stuff railway types use for track beds etc? Comes in different colours and size / scale, a little experimenting might get you there. Of course I guess it depends on how much you need, it can get expensive.

• 6 months later...

Pinetree ... I have a P-40N i am going to do in 15th Fg markings. These were the sand colored P-40's and P-39's stationed in the Gilberts im planning on doing a display base/diorama depicting a Revetement/Maintenance area with an open air hangar. I have multiple aircraft that could benefit from this base for photographic use. Have you come up with any ideas or testing on this. If you have any new information i could really use any tips or knowledge you have gained. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an idea of creating a coral beach as a crash site. I wanted to resurrect an old F4F-4 which had its undercarriage broken and so was only fit for showing in a belly landing scene. My initial Googling showed up fine white aquarium silica as a possible material. I know nothing about aquaria and I haven't visited a shop to have a look at the stuff, but it might be suitable. The main problem, as I see it, is balancing an in-scale appearance with some texture to make the coral perceptible. Probably, just paint would be in-scale, but would it look convincing? Probably not.

Edited by Ade H

Ive considered the paint route & sprinkling a layer of whichever medium that i had chosen on to the wet paint. I think then i would  get the thin layer i need while retaining realism. I just havent found a medium i liked to test/use for my needs. Feel free to try it if you want to. Just let me know the results of the test. I would use a slightly darker colored paint than the grit medium so it gives it some depth.   

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

• 6 years later...

Looks like it has been a while since anyone accessed this post but the need to know is still there.  I'm getting ready to start a 1/32 F4U-1A and I'm facing the same dilema, what to use.  Did anyone come up with a suitable solution?

I've seen a few with kitty litter. I think it depends on the scale you are building in.

Try searching Corsair builds. I seem to remember a very battered one from a year or two ago.

Have a look at my RNZAF Pacific airstrip build thread a https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/26916/wwii-airfield-diorama-south-pacific?page=1   In 1/48 scale I suggest crushed anything will be too coarse. Just adding some coarse texture gel to your selected base colour is more than sufficient.

I started out with white but have subsequently added some colour. I was able to visit the remaining taxiways at Torokina a few years ago for a few minutes which influenced my decisions.

A contemporary photo of coral before crushing.

52558112521_f683a82324_c.jpg

My revised coral colour.

52711604551_08f529348e_z.jpg

And the subtle texture of coarse gel.

52672082340_e47ff1e6f9_z.jpg[

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 2