Civilian Cars

GazB

Had a question for anyone with greater knowledge than myself. Could a 1/24 scale car be passed off as suitable for a diorama where everything else was 1/35, or is the difference too great? I wanted to create a scene that, while not necessary, could involve a police car for some additional visual interest, and fit the theme. Unfortunately, it seems all model police cars are often 1/24 scale, and there are no 1/35 examples. The only 1/35 vehicles that can pass as civilian seem to be variations of Hilux, which doesn't suit what I'm after all that much.

Long story short, I'm aiming (in my mind at least) to create a diorama based on The Division.

Cheers.

Gaz

IMHO the difference is too great; eg my Austin is 10 ft 6 inches long, in 1/24 that is 133mm, in 1/35 it is 91mm - 4.2 cm difference. In the three dimensions the bulk is much greater.

Have you tried looking at 1/32 cars?

What particular car are you looking for?

As well as Revell, Airfix, Dapol, Gowland & Gowland, Pyro, Lifelike and others the Japanese have a range or two of 1/32 cars for their home market. The cars are mostly Toyota and Nissan, from the 1940s to modern. Some of these can be altered to look like more familiar makes due to car 'badge' engineering.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bhouse said:

I think it would be very noticeable: a 1:24 car will be about 30% larger than a1:35. Think of a Fiat 500 parked next to an S Class Mercedes...

Yeah, I had a feeling it would be pretty significant.

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

IMHO the difference is too great; eg my Austin is 10 ft 6 inches long, in 1/24 that is 133mm, in 1/35 it is 91mm - 4.2 cm difference. In the three dimensions the bulk is much greater.

Have you tried looking at 1/32 cars?

What particular car are you looking for?

As well as Revell, Airfix, Dapol, Gowland & Gowland, Pyro, Lifelike and others the Japanese have a range or two of 1/32 cars for their home market. The cars are mostly Toyota and Nissan, from the 1940s to modern. Some of these can be altered to look like more familiar makes due to car 'badge' engineering.

Hmm, that could be an option.

Preferably some kind of American sedan, especially something like a modern NYPD police car, or yellow cab. But a civilian Impala or Crown Vic would be suitable too.

Thanks for the info both of you, btw :)

Gaz

Edited by GazB

I seem to recall someone does a bad guys BMW in 1/35, though it's called German Sports Sedan or some such to protect the not-so-innocent!

Just checked, it's Takom and it's called German Civilian Car but it's an older 3Series...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chimpion said:

Arii do a 95 Nissan Skyline police car (Japanese markings) or 89 and 90 Toyota Celsior, all in 1/32 scale.

Ah, damn. Wrong area lol. I was doing some other diorama themes in Tokyo, but this one would be New York, heh :P

11 hours ago, dcrfan said:

Why not use a diecast 1/35 car.  There are lots of diecast US cars.  See Crown police car on this link http://www.collectablediecast.com/132-scale.html

I did think about using a diecast. Just wondering on the detail for them. 

9 hours ago, malpaso said:

I seem to recall someone does a bad guys BMW in 1/35, though it's called German Sports Sedan or some such to protect the not-so-innocent!

Just checked, it's Takom and it's called German Civilian Car but it's an older 3Series...

Hmm. May be suitable as a civilian car. Cheers for the pointer :)

Gaz

Diecast vehicles come in a variety of levels of quality and price.  At the quality top end they are equal to plastic kits and can be much more expensive.

Here one in New York markings  (is there really NY Hospital police?) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-City-New-York-Hospital-Police-Pick-Up-Truck-Diecast-1-32-Custom-/311627508097

• Like 1

On 1/25/2017 at 4:40 AM, dcrfan said:

Diecast vehicles come in a variety of levels of quality and price.  At the quality top end they are equal to plastic kits and can be much more expensive.

Here one in New York markings  (is there really NY Hospital police?) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-City-New-York-Hospital-Police-Pick-Up-Truck-Diecast-1-32-Custom-/311627508097

Interesting. I never saw any Hospital Police vehicles when I was in New York, but I guess its not impossible, heh.

Thanks for the link :)

Gaz

i think the only way you can make it fit is by adopting a forced perspective, but to make it look good you'll have to design your diorama properly.

if you don't know what i'm talking about here is an example:

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php?topic=5744.0

here he is using larger scale models in the front, smaller scale models in the back and distorting all the building in order to give a false sense of depth in just a very confined space.

the final effect is definitely cooler than a regular diorama if you know how to do it properly, the drawback is that it would  work only by watching it from a very precise viewpoint. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

I might have solved it. I discovered Meng does a 1/35 Ford Super Duty pickup, which in the game, is quite commonly seen :D

Much appreciation for all of the replies and suggestions, though :)

Gaz

Edited by GazB

• 2 weeks later...