Golden Oldie: Monogram 1/196th Tu-16 Badger

I just finished this one up for the "Smaller than 1/144th scale" group build over on Hyperscale.

The old (released in 1960) Monogram Tu-16 Badger kit in 1/196th scale (there is a persistent typo in some websites that this kit is 1/96th scale, but it isn't, it is 1/196th).

Simple build but a putty hound, the back spine offering several areas in need of the putty/sanding/putty/sanding loop.

Nothing special in the build, build wheels up and sits on a magnetic stand (so there is no hole in the bottom).

IMG_0834_zpsbg6skyj6.jpg

IMG_0836_zpsqpwoepsf.jpg

Greg in Oklahoma

• Like 12

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:57 AM, Cheezburger said:

Nice and clean built. Perfect for an executive desk! :-) How'd you do that magnetic stand? Mind posting a detail picure of your solution?

Thank you all for your kind comments.

I have posted a photo below of the magnetic stand being installed during a build (of a P-51A).  I used the same technique on the Bager.  I use two rare earth magnets, one bonded to the stand and another one bonded inside the fuselage. I use "Goop" (also sold as E-1000 and also as "Shoe Goo") to glue in the magnets.  I make sure to bond all the stands and build all the planes with the same polarity so I can interchange the stands anytime I want to.

IMG_9040_zpsulam8cgh.jpg

Greg in Oklahoma

Edited by Greg in OK
  • Like 2