The Life and Times of an Anson I

nuuumannn

Hello,

Here are a few images of Bill and Robyn Reid's fabulous Avro Anson I taken at different venues in New Zealand.

MH120%2029_zpsftwhd2mk.jpg

MH120%2032_zpso58kn3kp.jpg

MH120%2034_zpspz4h8suz.jpg

MH120%2042_zpsjrblrvr7.jpg

MH120%2049_zpsbs6wldkq.jpg

MH120%2050_zpsprumpywe.jpg

For more images and a detailed walkaround of the aeroplane, take a look here: http://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/warbirds/single-post/2017/01/23/Elegant-Anson-I-Images-Added

• Like 9

Lovely photos of a lovely looking aircraft! Thanks for sharing.

I'm no Anson expert, but why does the wing shape look different to the almost parallel chord wings that my Airfix kit has? It looks like it has the wings from a C.19.

Either way, it's an outstanding restoration. Tempting to go to New Zealand just to see it!

Best regards;
Steve 

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like it has the wings from a C.19.

Yep, it has the metal wing mod that Avro instigated and was fitted after 1962, when Anson Is were grounded in Australia due to wing failures. I quizzed the restorer about this mod and he stated that under Avro Mod 603, Anson Is could be fitted with metal wings, and made them Anson I Series IIs. He pooh-poohs claims of it not being authentic by stating that it was an Avro mod to Anson Is and MH120 was fitted with it as a post war transport, but added that he incorporated it into his restoration for reasons of practicality; the original K6183 wouldn't have been fitted with it. The wing is 6 inches longer at each tip than the standard wooden wing. Note also the sloped forward windscreen, fitted to only the very early Anson Is.

Edited by nuuumannn
  • Like 1