1/48 Airfix P-40 Tomahawk RAF Army Co-operation 1941

The Airfix 1/48th scale P-40 Tomahawk finished in the markings of a No.II(AC) Squadron RAF, 34 Wing, Army Co-operation Command, Curtiss Tomahawk at RAF Sawbridgeworth from July 1941.  Paints are Humbrol (including a very aged tinlet of Humbrol HB 5 Sky Type S used on spinner and fuselage id band), Tamiya and Model Master enamels, Ultracast pilot's seat with Sutton Harness, early P-40 wheels, tubular exhausts and propeller with spinner, Xtradecals for national markings and id code letters, the serial and name 'Suzanne' from an old Hobbycraft Tomahawk decal sheet.  No major issues with the build, altho a few things I would do differently for the next one of these I have in my stash to produce a slightly tidier and easier build process.  Kept relatively clean as per the photos of the subject aircraft.  The earlier builds of the 1/48th Airfix P-40B posted by others here in Britmodeller helped me avoid any major pitfalls during my build.

Tomahawk%201_zpssijnsbzw.jpg

Tomahawk%202_zpsajc039id.jpg

Tomahawk%202_zpsajc039id.jpg

Tomahawk%205_zpsjhwcjcub.jpg

Tomahawk%206_zpslz0iyotp.jpg

Another finished model to add to my collection of Army Co-operation and Tactical Reconnaissance aircraft.

Enjoy

• Like 32

I've been thinking about this aeroplane for some time - the RAF Sawbridgeworth site is about 3 miles from where I live.  Nothing much there now - a memorial was erected some years ago.  One of the station's brick buildings - the cinema, I think - was demolished and re-erected in the town as a meeting / exhibition centre.  I think a few other buildings are in use for agricultural purposes. I gather the squadron flew Lysanders, Tomahawks then Mustangs from Sawbridgeworth.

As an aside, some years ago I saw an advert for a talk to be given by a wartime II(AC) pilot, in the Memorial Hall.  His name was Reichs and he flew Mustangs.  From memory he said the squadron moved to another airfield nearer the coast in preparation for D-Day.  After D-Day he was flying a low-level Tac-R when he was shot down.  He crashed into a river and knocked unconscious.  However, he floated clear and was rescued. He said very matter-of-factly that that was only because when flying over water he always part-inflated his Mae West!

Sorry if this slightly highjacks your thread, ColFord - not my intention.  Thanks for sharing a great model with us,

Jonny

Edited by Jonny
Spelling corrections
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone, appreciated.

Jonny, pilot  from No.II(AC) Sqdn would be F/O Doug Reich.  He was shot down on 15 June 1944.  No.II(AC) Sqdn had spent a large part of their war at Sawbridgeworth, but from September 1943 they moved around a number of airfields, including some ALGs such as Funtington, getting practice at being 'mobile' in preparation for the invasion.  From early 1944 they ended up with the other units in 35(Recce) Wing at Gatwick where they operated from until just before they moved via Odiham, to France in late July 1944.

Hannants do an aftermarket decal sheet in 1/48th for another of No.II(AC) Sqdns Tomahawks XV-U (for Ursula) here - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48163

If you want to do one of the RAF Tomahawks that is noted as having the fishtail types exhausts, the Ultracast 48071 early Mustang RAF Fishtail exhausts literally drop in with little modification - http://www.ultracast.ca/products/48/071/default.htm