1:144 Airfix DC-9, Iberia. 26 Decals

Airfix DC-9 1:144

26 Decals 'Iberia'

dc9-3_zps9srvkqsk.jpg

This is ye olde Airfix kit from the orginal 'KLM' boxing. As I have 4 of them in the stash I though I should build one of them, even though the Fly Models kit is a more modern tooling.

It is still worth building as it has very good fit and is pretty accurate. The main  problem with it is that it lacks the prominent 'Lobe Crease' along the lower fuselage. I scribed it in with an Olfa P cutter, and worked along the line with a sub miniature half round file to emphasise it. It also lacks the eyebrow windows on the cockpit glazing, and although I left the glazing clear, I used the eyebrows off the decal sheet. Iberia's 9's all seemed to have an amount of thrust reverser staining at the back end, so i tried to replicate this also, with a puff of Tamiya 'Smoke' from the airbrush.

It's  one of my favourite classic airliners, and it has the plus of a red cheat line!

dc9-4_zpskbrvlvdq.jpg

dc9-5_zpsxgwrsyuo.jpg

dc9-6_zpse0smfccy.jpg

dc9-7_zpsvvis49kd.jpg

dc9-8_zps3tulhwvr.jpg

And 'With something else', A Fly Models 'Baby 9' in Draw Decals TWA livery.

dc9-9_zps1awu2sx9.jpg

dc9-10_zps8sntqmhl.jpg

There was a 'Gotcha' with the decals. the instructions only show a Post side profile, so i reapeated the layout on the starboard side. A couple of days later looking on Airliners.net I spotted that it was wrong, which just goes to show the importance of checking references.. Out came the sellotape and I stripped the titles off. The ever helpful Mr Stringbag just happened to have some replacements so i was able to correct it. Thanks Chris! Can you spot the uncorrected error here?

dc9-2_zpslbjvus5m.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 17

Impeccable finish, red cheatline AND a DC-9 !

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

It's enough to make me climb into the loft and fetch mine down ! (Must resist....must resist......must resist.......)

Thanks for posting John.

mike

• Like 1

Great looking models, very crisp clean model making, you certainly are a talented modeller OR hamster...........

Always like your WNW builds, and these are something at the total other end of the spectrum in so many ways

Ali

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Beautiful model with  a great cheatline scheme.

The error? Is it the order of the titles -

'IBERIA Lineas Aereas de Espana' corrected to 'Lineas Aereas de Espana IBERIA'

Jeff 

Got it in one Jeff! I was mighty relieved that Chris had a damaged sheet but with the required bit in good nick.

More than once he has been able to rescue my foul ups. Worth his weight in gold that lad.

16 minutes ago, Viking said:

More than once he has been able to rescue my foul ups. Worth his weight in gold that lad.

Doesn't stop you taking the mickey out of me though!

2 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

'IBERIA Lineas Aereas de Espana' corrected to 'Lineas Aereas de Espana IBERIA'

Jeff 

Don't you mean 'Lineas Aereas de Espana IBERIA' corrected to IBERIA Lineas Aereas de Espana'  :tease:

Buck your ideas up Jeff. 

Joking aside, it is a cracking DC-9 John.

Chris.

Oops, hugely embarrassed...for some silly reason I thought the final picture in the first thread was the corrected title arrangement and all the others were the 'incorrect' before shots. I shall write out 'I must be more accurate in my spotting of errors' about a thousand times or so...sorry.

Jeff 

Very nice, just love the old airfix classics, lovely job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         cheers Michael.

Another great model John, right up my street. In fact I plan on doing one of these myself. After a KLM machine.

Love the weathering and subtly different nmf shades.

That classic colour scheme certainly beats the current one!

Which do you think is the better kit John, Fly or Airfix. I prefer the nice thin wings of the Airfix kit as opposed to the planks you get with the Fly kit but Fly's nose is just a little better, imho.

Ali, talented hamster or guinea pig?

Cheers,

Ian

22 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Oops, hugely embarrassed...for some silly reason I thought the final picture in the first thread was the corrected title arrangement and all the others were the 'incorrect' before shots. I shall write out 'I must be more accurate in my spotting of errors' about a thousand times or so...sorry.

Jeff 

:rofl:  No need for the penance Jeff just don't let it happen again.