Airfix 1/48 Junkers Ju87B-1 Stuka - the new one

Jeff Wilson

I had two of these on pre-order and they arrived on Wednesday. I can't be the only one here to have picked up a couple for the stash, but no-one's posted any pictures of the sprues and I thought I might do the deed. I'm not a Stuka aficionado but I do like the look of the aeroplane, so I offer these images without my opinion as to the accuracy of the kit. It's well moulded with almost zero flash and just the odd minor sink mark, the panel lines are fine when viewed by eye and exaggerated when photographed - they will be perfectly OK under paint. The decals, once again printed by Cartograf, are excellent. Like the recent P-40, the kit has been moulded in the UK and the plastic is harder than the plastic of the kits moulded in India. Another lovely new tool from Airfix that bodes well for their 2017 releases. Have at it...

Boxtop.jpg

Clearsprue.jpg

Sprue01front.jpg

Sprue01back.jpg

Sprue02front.jpg

Sprue02back.jpg

Sprue03front.jpg

Sprue03back.jpg

Sprue04front.jpg

Sprue04back.jpg

Sprue05.jpg

Sprue06.jpg

Sprue07.jpg

Closeup01.jpg

Closeup02.jpg

Closeup03.jpg

Closeup04.jpg

Closeup06.jpg

Closeup07.jpg

Closeup08.jpg

Decals.jpg

Jeff

• Like 14

Not my scale, though I must say it looks lovely and with obviously a lot of thought in the design.

However what are the little pointy things on the trailing edge of the ailerons?  To protect the mass-balances perhaps?

And if anyone from Airfix does read this, here's a suggestion.  In case any of the mass-balances get broken off, provide spare(s) but with a slightly longer 'stem' so that they can be inserted into drilled out holes where the originals used to be... .

Oh yes: and the same for any other aircraft with such mass balances you may tool.

Thanks for the photos. The family resemblance to the 1/72 scale kit is obvious.

Still seeing a few unfortunately placed ejection pin marks.

Does the kit have the option of open wing gun panels? It isn't immediately apparent.

J

10 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Just look at all those rivet holes lacking rivet heads, no wonder this aircraft is a kit of parts.

Can you tell I'm not a fan of this type of detailing.

Overstressed airframe just pulled out of a dive and pulled all of the skins, would need re-skinning at a minimum in real life - if not scrapping!

Thanks to Jeff for posting the sprue shots.

Edited by Wez

8 hours ago, John said:

Does the kit have the option of open wing gun panels? It isn't immediately apparent.

J

Yes, parts are included for open gun bays.

Jeff

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Just look at all those rivet holes lacking rivet heads, no wonder this aircraft is a kit of parts.

I'm not a fan of rivet holes in this scale either, though I can live with them if they are well done and reasonably accurate in pattern, unfortunately what I see here is a bit of a joke.

It looks like Airfix has just added a few rivets because it's fashionable - look at that rivet pattern on the rear fuselage, they got one row of rivets along that panel join but none vertically on the panel joins or along the stringers, the rear of the Stuka is covered in rivets. I don't expect rivet patterns to be accurate but it's ridiculous just doing the few Airfix have done here, the wing is just as bad.

Also looking at those rivets on the fuselage, it looks like they merge with the panel line at the rear similar to some of the fasteners on their P-40, so even the few rivets they are doing are not done particular well.

Edited by Tbolt

I guess it's a matter of taste, and how much is really visible in the end. Pity that what Looks like a rather superb kit in which a lot of thought seems to have gone may be marred by an apparent lack of thought re/a somewhat inconsequential Approach to the rivetting. All wing Panels have a double row, but only on one of 4 edges, nd why the double wing gets more Attention on ist small Surface than the wing proper is also somewhat odd. To be clear, I'm not trashing this kit in any way, but the observations have raised one of my eybrows (and them eyebrows are thick...).

48 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

I guess it's a matter of taste, and how much is really visible in the end. Pity that what Looks like a rather superb kit in which a lot of thought seems to have gone may be marred by an apparent lack of thought re/a somewhat inconsequential Approach to the rivetting. All wing Panels have a double row, but only on one of 4 edges, nd why the double wing gets more Attention on ist small Surface than the wing proper is also somewhat odd. To be clear, I'm not trashing this kit in any way, but the observations have raised one of my eybrows (and them eyebrows are thick...).

No I'm sure it's a good kit overall, but I would either fill the few rivets they have done, or if you like rivets get out the riveting tool and add a few more, otherwise it will look strange.

58 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

For me it's not a matter of taste, if we had an aircraft turn up looking like that are our repair facility we would be doing over stress and heavy landing checks before replacing the damaged skins.

1 minute ago, Wez said:

For me it's not a matter of taste, if we had an aircraft turn up looking like that are our repair facility we would be doing over stress and heavy landing checks before replacing the damaged skins.

If the rivets were truly to scale, they'd entirely vanish under even a very finely sprayed coat of paint.

Until someone invents scale thickness paint with scale roughness of surface whilst preserving the reflectance of fullsize paint films, talking about how model rivets on bare plastic compares to fullsize metalwork is pointless, IMHO.

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Me too. I still prefer the old 1/48 Airfix kit from that point of view.

27 minutes ago, Wez said:

It is a matter of taste, just not yours - the fact that there are holes in the skin you are taking to literal - the whole point of having rivets holes on a small model was obviously to give an impression of the rivets that are fairly visible on some aircraft. Unfortunately the industry has gone a bit mad and we are now getting them on 1/72nd scale kits (I'd rather they stay on 1/32nd scale and bigger and preferably rings not holes, but I can live with them on Eduard 1/48th scale Spit). Just like panel lines on most kits are not that realistic as very few kits have lap joins and those that represent butt joins and removable panels are way too big, remember it's a model ;)

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, John said:

J

One of our club members brought the kit along to our meeting last week. Very nice in the "plastic", but I too noticed the annoying placement of ejector pin marks. I know as modellers we can deal with these, but they can be a real chore to completely remove. Of course it might be that once fully built they may not be visible but that one in the middle of the basket gunners seat and the cockpit floor look like they are on full view. Given Airfix engineering prowess displayed in the way that these kits are moulded and constructed , they could surely position the ejector towers a little better, or add the "tags" used by Hasegawa that avoid the circular marks appearing in the middle of seats , cockpit floor and sidewall details. Same applied to the P40 ( which I have) which has prominent marks in the centre of the wheel wells and on the faces of some cockpit sidewall boxes. Won't stop me buying one of these though.

• Like 1

These rivets are a bit disappointing :( I do like my rivets, but not like that. Better having no rivets so the people who don't like them are happy and people who like them can easily add their own.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 19:32, Black Knight said:

Those 'pointy' things are the actuator rods

It looks like you get almost all the parts to make it as a B-2 or R as well

Or even the carrier borne C variant..................:hmmm:

Martian

I don't mind the rivets but that apparent sink mark at the base of the rudder with the rivets running through will be very difficult to rectify and keep the rivet detail. Oh well resin replacement will solve that but should not of happened in the first place. And this is one of the moulded in the UK kits is it not?

There seems to be a lot of criticism here for what looks like a very nice kit IMO, rivets will always divide opinion, I will be getting one of these and as with most builds will run the riveting tool over the surface and drop a bit of tippex in these to tone them down a bit. Not a major concern. My only complaint is that I don't have enough time to build all these Airfix kits being released as they keep releasing kits I want!

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, woody37 said:

There seems to be a lot of criticism here for what looks like a very nice kit IMO, rivets will always divide opinion, I will be getting one of these and as with most builds will run the riveting tool over the surface and drop a bit of tippex in these to tone them down a bit. Not a major concern. My only complaint is that I don't have enough time to build all these Airfix kits being released as they keep releasing kits I want!

People are not really criticizing anymore that what you just have - you are saying that there are not enough rivets and the ones there are a little heavy, you've just said it in a different way :)