RNZAF Corsair & USAAF P-51

Hello,

Long time lurker, and the thought of contributing some work came up.

so without further ado, let me present the following WIP in 1/48 scale prop planes built in conjunction.

1) Meng 1/48 P-51D, kit decals "American Beauty"
2) Tamiya 1/48 F4u-1A, RNZAF decals by SkyModels (NZ5277), roundels by Ventura Publications 

added Super Fabric seatbelts by Eduard, not necessary the correct ones (US Navy seatbelts) but I am on a budget.

Corsair Cockpit

IMG_20161226_205734

Mustang Cockpit

IMG_20161226_205623

Primed the Corsair in a medium grey mix (Gunze Mr Surfacer 1500 Grey + Black), more work ahead in cleaning up surface imperfections + rivet (reason for the grey, as I normally prime in black) + blend the canopies in

This will be a competition piece for a local club meet.

IMG_20170122_223904

Mustang (sexy plane in black), more touch-ups to do.

Brilliant fit, but some step issues due to the snap-fit nature. 

Disclaimer > the wings are supposed to be laminated and rivets filled, but am not keen on filling and sanding so much detail.

IMG_20170122_223913

Critique welcome, especially on RNZAF corsair colours, Google-d a few forums posts but nothing concrete yet.

the astute amongst you might notice a TIE lurking in the back, which I may post as a Completed build one day.

cheers!

Edited by Orangutan
spelling!
  • Like 7

20 hours ago, Scooby said:

Do you use Mr Color black finishing primer 1500? If so it is amazing stuff isn't it?

Yep, its brilliant! Mr Finishing Surfacer Black / Grey 1500, especially when thinned with Mr Leveling Thinner. The Mustang shown in the above photo only had a light coat of it applied without any polishing.

For the curious, RNZAF roundels by Ventura Publications (on the left) versus SkyModels (on the right).

Am leaning towards using the lighter blue colour by Ventura Publications, do correct me if thats incorrect.

IMG_20170123_232235

Cheers

Shane

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Progress has been slow due to well, life.

But with the club meet in End April, its time to put this project into overdrive! :penguin:

First, some failures 

1) I managed to crack the corsair's front windscreen whilst masking it. So it has been temporarily put on hold till a replacement part arrives

>>Meaning, I would enter the Mustang for the club meet instead

2) i found out the Venture decals did not have the blue border around the white bars (for the lighter coloured roundels). cue a new purchase from Hannants^_^

IMG_20170316_231704

Some basic paintwork >

1) painted the main wheel well,

2) base coated the red / yellow portions with Tamiya XF-2 White

3) some red / yellow for good measure (particularly proud of the glossy shine on the spinner)

4) sorted out the seams on the belly radiator

OH, and a NEW Purchase

IMG_20170316_231910IMG_20170316_231959

IMG_20170316_232013

IMG_20170316_232125 (2)

the white tabs you see are to fill gaps on the lower hull.

tip was stolen from themodellingnews

More to come

=)

Shane

• Like 1

Hi Shane, I'd need to consult my RNZAF Corsair book to be sure(ish) but convention wisdom these days seems to be that New Zealand based Corsairs had the lighter ones, RNZAF roundel blue being a slightly lighter shade than RAF roundel blue & definitely lighter than US Insignia blue, which is why Pacific Island based RNZAF machines have darker blue ones, US supplied airframes with markings re done in US Insignia blue as being what was available. So it depends on where you machine was based.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2017 at 5:09 AM, stevehnz said:

Hi Shane, I'd need to consult my RNZAF Corsair book to be sure(ish) but convention wisdom these days seems to be that New Zealand based Corsairs had the lighter ones, RNZAF roundel blue being a slightly lighter shade than RAF roundel blue & definitely lighter than US Insignia blue, which is why Pacific Island based RNZAF machines have darker blue ones, US supplied airframes with markings re done in US Insignia blue as being what was available. So it depends on where you machine was based.

Steve.

Hello! 

I would probably use the RNZAF scheme & roundels provided by the Eaglecals sheet (scheme NZ5248, No.21 Squadron). Based at Papua New Guinea

From Google

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/nz-serials/nzcorsair.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._21_Squadron_RNZAF

Some baremetal work on the Mustang, would be tinting certain panels with Tamiya smoke

baremetal

till next time,

Shane

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Orangutan said:

Hello! 

I would probably use the RNZAF scheme & roundels provided by the Eaglecals sheet (scheme NZ5248, No.21 Squadron). Based at Papua New Guinea

From Google

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/nz-serials/nzcorsair.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._21_Squadron_RNZAF

till next time,

Shane

Hi Shane

Bear in Mind the Eaglecal decals are the wrong colour also, as they are too light. RNZAF Pacific Roundels didn't

fade to either the Sky models version or how Eaglecal depict theirs.

Note this RNZAF F4U-1A Corair NZ5218 showing what actually happens when the Roundels fade. The US Star shows through

RNZAF%20Corsair%20with%20Star%20under%20

As Steve mentioned above the RNZAF Pacific Roundel in the Forward Theatres were much darker. The Ventura Sheet as shown by your post above have the correct colours (being the Darker).

The other thing not shown by Sky or Eaglecal, is the Starboard Upper and Port Lower Roundel bars are RNZAF Pacific Roundel Blue and not US Insignia Blue.

As far as colours go, RNZAF F4U-1A (and early supplies of D's) Corsairs, were delivered in US Navy 4 tone. Note that some of these F4U-1A's were repainted in overall USN Glossy Sea Blue before issue to Squadrons.

Some F4U-1A's were also later,  given a top coat of Glossy Sea Blue, showing only the white undersides and lower Intermediate Blue on wings, as in this photo (Note this is NZ5247, so if doing NZ5248, it could be in the same scheme)

F4U%20Struggle%20Buggy%20copy_zpsszdul2a

One important thing to note, is NO RNZAF Corsair was ever painted grey in the forward theatres as oft depicted by some modellers.

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1

Hi Alan,

MANY THANKS!

please disregard my ignorance to RNZAF Corsairs, the only research I have thus far are from Google (the myriad colours of Roundels are confusing:rage:).

Shane

Edited by Orangutan
found the yellow bands on the ventura sheet

• 3 weeks later...

apologies about the lack of updates.

mistake after mistake led to many touch-ups and frustration (i.e. Antenna & tailwheel broke. overtly done chipping, difficulty in balancing the red / yellow stripes and aluminium body work without it looking like a toy, exhuast stains, etc)

all thats left is to paint + install the landing gear and tires

till next time,

Shane

painted 2painted

• Like 4

shes done.

more mistakes made during the installation (missing parts, etc). But enough! :talktothehand:

I will post better photos with a proper camera (all photos are from a handphone)

as always, critiques please.

cheers 

Shane

doneBLack and white

• Like 2