1/144 South African Airways A320

Superb work.  I thought there was some black magic going on for  a moment.  The rear three quarter shot would have fooled me into thinking it was photo of the 1/1 scale version.

• Like 1

Many thanks to all of you who've taken the time out to post such generous comments - much appreciated !

On 1/23/2017 at 2:25 PM, m4rky said:

That is mega. I can only echo what every one else has said. It look so real.

You don't fancy doing a how-to on the base do you? Pretty please :)

Thanks m4rky.

The base is simple enough to make if you download a suitable image from Google Earth and then mess about with it using some "drawing" software. (I was lucky enough to get a free copy of Photoshop when I bought my laptop many years ago).

I managed to track down one of my older builds on BM which has a brief explanation of how to make a photographic base : RAFScampton runway base

For the Airbus build, I zoomed in onto the end of the runway at King Shaka International Airport for authenticity. (What a sad git am I ???)

Here's the Google Earth image from a higher altitude :

SAA320j.jpg

It was just a case of scaling the image up to a reasonable size before printing it out on Matte Photo paper, and then sticking it onto a perspex base. (I zoomed into the image to such a point that no blurring was required).

I used the software's motion blur tool on the end of the airport runway in Harare for my Air Zimbabwe Airbus build

The nameplates on all three bases were made using Photoshop.

Hope this is of some use.

On 1/23/2017 at 11:39 PM, TrojanThunder said:

Another masterpiece Mike :thumbsup:

I like the way you mounted it. I have an A320 inflight build planned and I might steal your idea. Is that brass wire/rod you used?

Cheers Ray.

I used brass rod which was the same diameter as the APU. After bending it into shape, one end of the rod was inserted into a hole which has been carefully (and very slowly) drilled into the perspex base.The other end of the rod slotted into a length of brass tube (of slightly wider diameter) which had been epoxied into the fuselage before joining the halves together.

On 1/24/2017 at 8:24 PM, keefr22 said:

you're actually pretty good at this modelling lark....!!

Hope you'll bring it to club - I promise I won't wobble it on the base...!! 

Thanks Keith. I hate to admit it but I think that the constant ribbing at the club meetings has been fuelling my model-building skills. Hell, I'd never even built a base before I figured out why you were constantly winning the club comps ! :P

Best Regards

mike

• Like 3