1/144 South African Airways A320

Just gone 7am on 4 February 2015 and South African Airways Flight SA257 from Johannesburg is about to touch down at the King Shaka International airport in Durban :

57Kz3ee.jpg

At the controls are Captains Frik van Schalkwyk (left) and Matthew Smith (right)

IFtwTSG.jpg

The hour long journey marked Frik's inaugural flight as Captain, following an extensive flying career with the airline, and here's the proud man after arrival :

AcfTdbv.jpg

I'd like to thank Frik's wife Shirley (my cousin) for allowing me to post her photos of the momentous occasion - I only hope my model has done it justice.

Here are the rest of my pics of Zvezda's A320 finished off with Draw decals (Set 44s-A3N-1), Skyline details (SKY14058), and Authentic Airliner windows (A320 family)

4qWJW1u.jpg

90qjFhc.jpg

hULhwJq.jpg

...and for those of you who are wondering about the secret of levitation, here are a couple of pics that haven't had the brass wire airbrushed out :

lyWclbC.jpg

We9zEBH.jpg

b3V4TKq.jpg

Best Regards.

mike

• Like 38

I thought the first photo was of a real airplane and was trying hard to figure out what that black thing in foreground was ( I thought roof but the angle appeared odd , of course it is the base ). Superb , just superb . While in past I have mistaken cleverly shot photos for the real thing , it is quite rare and only a master model can confuse one like that  ....

• Like 1

Wow, that is simply amazing Mike, I really thought that first photo was the real thing. Outstanding!

Great little back story too, I'm going to have to get a set of those decals and do one of these myself,

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Super job, you have certainly done it justice, well done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Cheers Michael

• Like 1

I can't think of any superlatives which haven't been used already so I'll just content myself with saying fabulous!  :clap2:

Photo six is one of the most realistic model airliner pictures I've ever seen.

• Like 1

One of the best displays of the A320 that I have ever seen. Impeccably built and when displayed this way, it is very difficult to discern from the real thing. Most definitely a worthy memento celebrating this landmark chapter in a pilots career. A stunning build Mike (as usual).    :thumbsup:

Mark

• Like 1

On 22/01/2017 at 11:35 PM, Skodadriver said:

Photo six is one of the most realistic model airliner pictures I've ever seen.

Agreed - brilliant shot Mike! I also thought the first pic was an actual jet - I'd only scrolled down enough to read the start of your text, so the pic only went down to just below the main gear & it looked totally real!

Really, really tremendous build, you're actually pretty good at this modelling lark....!!

Hope you'll bring it to club - I promise I won't wobble it on the base...!! 

Brilliant 'bus ! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Like 1