I've taken it into my head to make amends for my Vietnam GB PT-76 fail by converting the (essentially identical) PST 1/72 BTR-50 into an OT-62B by kitbashing it with the venerable ACE kit.  :mental:

OT-62-egyptian-captured-1973-send-to-US-

The latter is a bit short on fine detail, so I was wondering if any of you fellows could point me towards some decent references for this type.....I'm hoping to build the version with the 7.62mm MMG/82mm RR turret.  One of the things I'd particularly like to find would be some detailed shots of the 82mm T-21 "Tarasnice" Recoilless Rifle as mounted on this turret.

I should probably add that I've already found the walk-around for the captured Egyptian example at Latrun, but this vehicle lacks many of the features I'm interested in:  http://www.primeportal.net/apc/andre_patschke/ot-62_topaz/

• Like 3

I sense a post war Soviet liking going on?

Watching with interest - sadly nothing I can help with as it's way outside my reference collection

I think I've gathered most of what I need now.....Unfortunately most of the pictures of the RR are not terribly big so some guesswork and fudging will be involved.  :confused:

I'm tinkering with a set of skirmish wargaming rules, provisionally entitled 'Insurgency' (in honour of my current favourite FPS), set in a fictional Arabic North/East African nation at some point between the mid seventies & early nineties.....In addition to the OT-62B I've accuired a fistful of BTR-152s, a couple of BTR-60Ps (the open roofed type), a Revell T-55 which will become a Type-59 if I can successfully graft some ACE parts onto it and I've also diverted some Revell T-34/85s from wartime duty.  These are nominally the government/insurgent forces (same camo for both, just swap uniformed figures for irregulars).  In addition I have some peacekeepers with a M113 (will probably do two), an AMX-13-105 (might yet be backdated to a 90mm) and a Panhard AML-90, I will try to pick up a couple of Heller VAB APCs to round out this Force.  :nerd:

After that, no more modern(ish) stuff in 1/72.....I'm moving up to 1/48 thereafter (assuming I can browbeat Mikro-Mir into making something that I don't already have)!  :winkgrin:

Cool! Love the idea of lots of dusty, slightly battered ex-Soviet armour!

Have often fancied trying wargaming - I must confess to indulging in a bit of Warhammer 40k as a change but my build rate is so glacial I'd never get anything completed.

SHQ do some Iraqi infantry that might be of service and they're fairly cheap. Sure I've seen another manufacturer that does a larger range of modern forces but can't remember who - will let you know if it comes back to me.

Be watching along with interest to see how you get on.

• Like 1

I'm using Caesar & other plastics for the figures.....Nothing too serious for this, it's just a bit of a whim and also an attempt to restore my mojo.  With the exception of my failed attempts in the Vietnam GB, I haven't built any modern(ish) Braille since I was in my late teens or early twenties, so it's a bit different to my normal fare, without leaving me totally out of my depth the way wingy-things do.  ;)

If you want to get into skirmish wargaming with the kits you already have, check this out:  https://toofatlardies.co.uk/product/chain-of-command-rules/  These are my current favourite rules, they are very freeform and simulate the chaos & fog of war in a way that conventional 'I-Go/You-Go' rules just can't.  Strongly recommend reading the AARs at their forum and the Lard Island News Blog.  :coolio:

• Like 1

Know what you mean about the wingy things - I have a few (dozen! ) that I want to build but can never seem to get on with them.

Last one I finished was a 1/72 Airfix Jaguar Gr1 in about 1994!!

Will check out the recommended site - think I've come across them at the old Derby wargames show a few years back when I lived up that way.

• Like 1

Interesting choice of Mojo-Restorative there Sarge. :surprised:THIS may help with information or there's THIS or there's THIS little gem of a site. There is an artillery section there with plenty to look at :thumbsup:

I moved up to 48th a few years back and haven't looked back. There's a fair amount of modernish stuff in resin from Tank-Mania and Gasoline pricey sometimes but good value per hour of bench time. Oh and you'll get interested in the financial world judging when to buy in euros, dollars or cowrie shells.

• Like 1

Cheers fella, those look just the ticket.  :coolio:

I've had a look at both Tank Mania (sore tempted by their T-55s) and Gasoline (look a bit too wargamey for my liking), but I'm planning on sticking with plastic in 1/48.....I've still got a few 1/72 kits to build while I wait for new stuff to come out.  ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...