1:144 scale Tornado kits question

bootneck

Hi Charlie,

thanks very much, again, for this.  Yes; I have them all in 1:144 scale:  Revell Lightning; Platz F-35 and LS/Academy Jaguar.  I have also ordered some a/m stuff from Retrokit for the Jaguar plus an Airways two-seat T.5 conversion set for the Lightning.

Some very nice choices there Mike and here is another great SIG site you might be interested in if, after finishing that little lot, you feel like tackling Revell's Harrier. I found lots of useful info when I built a 1/72 FA 2 a couple of years ago.

Hi Charlie,

Yes, and this is exactly why advice from you and other members can be so valuable when understanding which kit can make what version.  There are all sorts of 1:144 scale kits out there; of Tornados, Jaguars, Phantoms and Lightnings etc., but are the kits actually the mark/version as described on the box?   Advice I am getting on which Mark/Version that can be made with what kit, and aftermarket, is really helpful and I am keeping note of any info I receive.

As an example, information I have received on the Jaguar has help me to identify and order the following from Retrokit:

GR.1 and GR.3 Nose

GR.3 Cockpit detail set

Drop tanks set

If you, or anyone else, knows of any other (externally visible) differences between any postwar RAF/FAA 1:144 kits and the real things then I would be grateful to hear of them; as I am sure others would also.

cheers

Mike

On 27/01/2017 at 9:46 AM, bootneck said:

Thank you Charlie and John.   That SIG looks to be good; I never thought to ask if there was a group specific to the Tornado so thanks for that.   Now I can start looking for SIGs on all the other kits I have but don't know anything about!

EE Lightning

F-35 Lightning

Jaguar

Javelin

basically anything post war RAF.    I have the kits but not the knowledge. :sorry:

Mike

Hi Mike,

I served on XV Sqn GR.1 Tornado's 1989 to 1992, 14 & 31 Sqn Jaguar GR.1/T2 1980 to 83 and shitty 6 Sqn Jaguars 1992 to 1994 so if you need any info let me know.

XVTonker. 

That is really good to know and thanks for advising me.  You're also a 1:144 scale builder so you understand what I mean about what kit can make which version (or how many versions/Mks can be made from one kit) etc.   Will chat with you later, when I've got some sort of semblance in order.

Thanks.

Mike

5 hours ago, bootneck said:

That is really good to know and thanks for advising me.  You're also a 1:144 scale builder so you understand what I mean about what kit can make which version (or how many versions/Mks can be made from one kit) etc.   Will chat with you later, when I've got some sort of semblance in order.

Thanks.

Mike

Okidokes

XVTonker