1:144 scale Tornado kits question

bootneck

I have a few 1:144 scale Tornado kits that I would like to build but I am not very knowledgeable on the specifics of the Tornado aircraft.  I am just learning about the GR.1; GR.4; ADV and IDS etc., but I don't know if these are all covered by 1:144 manufacturers.  Has anyone done a comparison survey to identify which marks of aircraft are produced in 1:144 scale, or are they all basically the same kit from the same mould?  I am really only concerned with externally visible differences please.

So far, I have obtained Dragon's GR.1A, GR.4, ECR, F.3, MRCA & IDS; plus Revell's Tornado GR.1, ECR and IDS. 

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Mike

The Dragon kits are Dragon, (Revell released the F3) - from memory they all gave the correct bits for their marks- but there have been at least three other 1/144th Tornado kits. Italeri also released the IDS boxing

LS did the first IDS in German Navy markings (Also available as Arii)

There was a Korean mould that was a copy of the LS kit but not as quite as fine, this was also released by Revell. There is also a kit by Academy, which may or may not be the same kit

Then Revell released their own mould IDS/Gr1/ECR, which is quite nice. I would go Dragon and later Revell for any collection, the older Ones are just curiosities

Edited by Dave Fleming

Thanks Dave,

I'm presuming here that the later kits by Dragon and Revell do match the version/mark types described on the boxings?   If that is so then I am looking forward to having a little build-fest later with what I have.

cheers

Mike

Mike,

The Revell ECR/IDS/GR1 are the same kit, and the later boxing is the better kit IMO. You need to fill the gun ports for the ECR and the Secondary Heat Exchanger intake and FLIR for ECR's  have to be scratch built.

Dragons F.3  is pretty good, though the nose leg may be too long. I made this a couple of years ago but I feel it sits a bit too high at the nose, you also need to take some care when fitting the nose section to the rear fuselage. Again the SHEI needs to be scratched along with chaff/flare dispensers on the underside, but the rear cockpit position looks to be in the right place.

As I said, I made the Dragon F.3 a couple of years ago along with a Luftwaffe ECR an Italian ECR and a Saudi IDS and they all came out pretty well. HTH

Hi John,

I remember following that build of yours but I wasn't building any Tornado's at the time so thank you for resurrrecting the link for me.  Thanks also for this bit of advice as it all helps.

I have also ordered a copy of the SAM book "Tornado" so that should be of use for references.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Forgot to mention that the Revell GR1 kit does have a GR1 specific sprue that contains the larger tanks, Sky Shadow pod a couple of LGB's and some 1000 pounders. There is no LRMTS though, but I do have couple of RetroWings clear resin parts that you are welcome to if you need them.  

Hi John,

I am still learning about the Tornado kits; i.e. which one comes with the pointier nose, what ordnance is carried, plus the fuselage lengths etc., and I would like to take you up on your offer please and I shall look for something to reciprocate. 

I presume, rightly or wrongly, that the LRMTS goes with the GR.1 then.  I'll send you a pm.

Mike

Accrington lad

I have sorted out my Tornado kits and find that I appear to have all the marks except the ADV version.  Does anyone produce a plastic kit of the ADV version in 1:144 scale?

My collection:

DSCF3030_800.jpg

DSCF3031_800.jpg

DSCF3032_800.jpg

cheers

Mike

Just beat me to it, ADV = Air Defence Variant is a generic Name and probably used by Panavia, existed first as the very limited production F.2 (RAF only) and then the longer, more powerful F.3. Possible Upgrades aside, your F.3 kit should cover just about every F.3 Operator.

That Revell kit 4040 should be the early tool (Matchbox too, quite likely), and if you compare it with the Academy, you should discover striking similarities ;-) Revell also boxed a Jaguar for a period around 1990 which should be an Academy copy of an LS kit. Hobbycraft may also have done a Tornado, though I have no idea whether that's something "original" to them or a copy of the Academy kit (or possibly a different copy of the LS).

...if you can get it cheap, and want some variety in markings - I mean, the F.3 was used by the Firebirds, and the 111 markings as apparently included in the Revell kit are not exactly unattractive. Decals seem to be by Zanchetti, so should at least be in good Register.

I would leave that to someone who knows what they would be talking about. :unsure:  I really do like the Tornado but I am a real duffer when it comes to knowing which lump or bump is fitted on what type.  I have learned a little bit though from the helpful information being provided on BM. :winkgrin:

Mike

Well volunteered there Charlie!  :D

It's all very well having the kits that I do have; but not knowing which kit represents what version (do we always believe the box-art? :hmmm:  ) , or what can make an ADV or a GR.1a etc. can be a bit of a struggle.  I do have the odd attempt to sort out the differences but usually give up and they go back in the stash.

cheers

Mike

Basically, it's quite simple. The original baseline version is the IDS (Interdiction/Strike), called GR. Mk 1 in RAF service. Only significant difference to Luftwaffe and AMI machines is the LRMTS under the chin, I think . From there it becomes a bit more involved. There were 1A and B versions for the RAF for Recce and maritime strike. Someone else will have to detail the differences,  but IIRC  the 1A had small windows under the cockpit sides and a fairing under the front fuselage for infrared linescan or a similar device. Not sure if one or both Mausers deleted. The GR.4 is an  extensive upgrade,  but the basic airframe is still the same I think. The ECR is a  variation of the basic IDS airframe as well. 

The only injection moulded kit of the F.2 would have been by Airfix in 1/48, but the mould was not finished when General Mills owned Airfix, and Humbrol reworked the mould to early F.3 standard. But wrong scale. ..2 only used by RAF in very limited numbers, I think mostly in 229 OCU. ADV=3, as far as kits are concerned. 

Edited by tempestfan
Phone decided to send unfinished post...

Thank you Tempestfan.  I am making notes of all these little, but valuable, observations and will keep them ready for when I do my builds.

cheers

Mike

GR1/IDS - First production model that was fairly similar between types, the UK version had the LRMTS wedge under the chin, but one Mauser in both types.

ECR - SEAD version for Germany and Italy, different engines and sensors. No Mauser.

GR1A - Reconnaissance version for the RAF. Internal IR system in place of the Mauser. Upgraded to the GR4A

GR1B - Martime Strike version for the RAF that replaced the Buccaneer. 

GR4/4A - Upgraded version for the RAF changed between '96 and '03

F.2 - ADV prototype with "Blue Circle" radar but GR1/IDS engines

ADV/F3 - Air defence version, Longer body/different nose for the Foxhunter radar. Different engines and a better performance the GR's.

Basic points that covers each types I think!

As far as I'm Aware, the IDS and baseline GR. 1 had two Mausers not one. If it's correct what's written here and there, Blue Circle is actually a brand of concrete, as concrete was used as Ballast on the 2 initially as the Foxhunter was delayed. I don't think the nose and front fuselage differed between 2 and 3. Check out the ZA254 thread re differences between 2 and 3.

Yup, the old British irony in full swing with the Blue Circle Radar. Just like the average Brits ability to be an "expert" on something, compare it to an aircraft with a very different role and slate it as they refuse to recognise that an interceptor does not have the same requirements as a dog fighter :huh:

Re: the cannons, yes sorry it was two in the GR1/IDS, but only one in the GR1A and ADV variants.

Thank you Charlie and John.   That SIG looks to be good; I never thought to ask if there was a group specific to the Tornado so thanks for that.   Now I can start looking for SIGs on all the other kits I have but don't know anything about!

EE Lightning

F-35 Lightning

Jaguar

Javelin

basically anything post war RAF.    I have the kits but not the knowledge. :sorry:

Mike

44 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Now I can start looking for SIGs on all the other kits I have but don't know anything about!

EE Lightning

F-35 Lightning

Jaguar

Javelin

basically anything post war RAF.    I have the kits but not the knowledge. :sorry:

Mike

EE Lightning,

Five main types of the fighter version and two training types, F.1/2/2A/3/6 and T.4/5 respectively. Went like the proverbial off an shovel but shocking endurance. The various fighter versions have different tails as well as varying gun and fuel tank arrangements. Used by the UK and Saudi Arabia.

F-35 Lightning.

Good luck, think the UK is only getting the F-35for the FAA, but the RAF may get the F-35A, not 100% sure as successive governments seem to keep changing their mind.

SEPECAT Jaguar.

Five Brit versions, two GR (1/3), two training (2/4) and the one off research ACT variant. Three French versions, the ground attack A, the training and the aborted carrierbourne M. Also sold to India, Ecuador, Oman and Nigeria. Main difference is the nose, the British and Export versions have a chisel nose containing the LRMTS kit. Indian versions have also been known to carry the BAe Sea Eagle missile.

Hope that's been of some help! Have you got these all in 1/144 or are some in different scales?