Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XIX (backdated to type 389)

elger

I've had Airfix' PR.XIX kit in my stash for some time, and after the huge Typhoon I wanted to build something smaller.

DSC_9864_zpszsjjivl1.jpg

With the exception of the propeller (if I recall correctly) from the box the kit builds into a type 390 - the actual, proper PR.XIX. I'm interested in building one of the early PR.XIXs, which were sort of rushed into production, officially designated the type 389. Ted Hooton describes these as a "panic conversion" based on F.XIV fighter airframes. Supermarine built 22 type 389s in April and May 1944. The first operational sortie with a XIX was on May 24th, 1944.

The main difference between the 389 and 390 was that the latter was pressurized. For modeling purposes, this means a few modifications to the Airfix kit: On the exterior, the air scoop on the nose on the left hand side needs to be removed. 389 aircraft also had the cockpit side door. The 389 had 4-spoke wheels, and fishtail exhausts. Since the cockpit wasn't pressurized, the aft bulkhead was also standard, not a closed off bulkhead.

To make these changes, starting with the cockpit interior, I've cannibalized an Eduard Spitfire IX overtrees kit I have in my stash for some parts. I'm using the Eduard seat and the aft bulkhead which fits the Airfix kit perfectly (I just had to cut off a little from the bottom to make the shelf with the oxygen tanks fit).

DSC_9855_zpsot9gavw8.jpg

In addition to these parts from the Eduard Spitfire IX, I used some parts of the Eduard zoom set for the PR.XIX. This included the instruments panel and various levers.

DSC_9848_zpslljbs1qo.jpg

Some details were fitted to the starboard fuselage, but I left off any parts that are connected to the pressurization system. I wasn't sure about the temperature gauges fitted to each side of the cockpit sidewalls so I did install those.

DSC_9860_zpsubfn8nys.jpg

Finally, I also used parts of Barracuda's detail set for the XIX. These include the rudder pedals, oxygen hose, undercarriage controls, control stick and the throttle quadrant.

DSC_9863_zps0ttfb1j1.jpg

I didn't use Barracuda's seat. Although it's really nice it comes with seatbelts molded on; I wanted to give the aircraft an older Sutton type harness. This came from a PE set from my spares box.

DSC_9842_zps3yf8zwdz.jpg

I'm thinking about maybe displaying one of the kit's cameras outside the aircraft so I'm fitting some camera parts from the spares box instead of the kit parts since these will be all but invisible once the model is finished anyway.

I've just glued the fuselage halves together this morning. Anyway, as always, thanks for looking!

• Like 21

Jumpei Temma produced some very nice drawings of the Mk.XIX, among others. You can make your own judgement about accuaracy, but he's usually very diligent.

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/spit47/spit47e-3.html

One thing he notes in his PR.XIX drawings (towards the bottom of link above) is that the Type 389 had a different windscreen profile to the Type 390. It appears to be unframed, but flat fronted rather than rounded. I found this interesting but have been unable to verify from photos. I imagine it would be difficult to see from most angles. Something to consider anyway.

Edit: Also note the slightly different profile of the windscreen lower edge.

regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Hello Elger,

Nice job on the interior, congratrulations.

I found that the rocker covers are a little bit of anemic, so I'll replace it.

Keep carry on , that's fine.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Thank Elger,

You'll make one of the first, I 'll make "The last"

Let me know, Do you think that "the last" aka PS888, has a two colour interior ?

I tend to paint it like yours, all in interior green, but seemingly, in the fifties, some Aircraft had a black interior at least at the heigth of the console.

I did'nt find any doc about this particular PS888.

Thank you and keep carry on.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• 4 weeks later...

Assembling the model. People have said that the fit of the kit is good but I'm not sure; the wing to fuselage fit wasn't great and it needed a lot of sanding.

I discovered a bit too late that the early PR.XIX would have had the standard fighter rear portion of the canopy. It's relatively easy to use the part from the Eduard kit except it means that the fuselage sides have to be built up. Some emergency plastic surgery it is:

DSC_6386_zpsiz2aotm0.jpg

I'm also going to be adding some figures to this model. I'm not very good at figure painting, but I have fun...

DSC_6382_zps1owqioln.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Elger

• Like 2

It's a study week (i.e. 'vacation') at the university where I work. I had planned to do actual work this week (nice and quiet without any students) but my body had different ideas so that forced me to take it easy. As a result I did get some work done on the Spitfire.

xix-001_zpseldtwsyb.jpg

It's really nice to build a small model, I realized. You can actually hold it in one hand! You only need a small amount of paint! Painting each colour only takes minutes!

Base coat was black Mr. Surfacer 1500, and on top is Mr. Paint PRU blue.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JasonC said:

Very nice. How do you get on with the Mr. Paint range? Had an eye on them for a while?

J.

I think they're fantastic. The colours are beautiful. It dries within seconds, generally easy to use - fairly idiot proof (good for me). Doesn't clog my airbrush, no drying on the tip.

Airbrush only - if you try to brush paint them for touch ups it doesn't work because the paint is too thin (very ink like) and very hot - it eats its way through any paint underneath unless you spray it.

The smell is pretty nasty though not less nasty than other acrylic lacquers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Flash is not kind to the finished model but I thought I'd post a picture here since the aircraft is done. I'll take some proper pictures next week and post them in Ready for Inspection.

Thanks all for for your interest, comments & support!

DSC_6413_zpse6tpupck.jpg

• Like 7