Bandai 1/72 Y-Wing

Workhorse of the Rebellion the venerable BTL-A4 Y-Wing Starfighter.

It'll be an out of the box build but I do want to do a custom paint job rather than Gold Leader; partially for fun and partially as I'd like to do Gold Leader when I have the skills to do it justice.

lq44hiI.png

It goes together very easily but there are lots (and lots) of fragile little piping pieces - I'm amazed I only broke one.

d5Y1Wtl.png

Here it is with most of the piping in place. It is so well engineered that what could have been extremely frustrating was actually rather enjoyable - although I was glad to finish with the piping. Looking at the phot now it seems there are a few spots that'll need filling before the primer goes down.

ivHu5Zy.png

and a couple of days later ready to prime. I elected to paint it in as big as possible parts as following my Gundam build i'm over having lots of little bits to paint individually - I hope I don't come to regret this idea.

Edited by BrotherMole
  • Like 4

Made a little more progress; priming and painting some spoons to check-out some colours.

LD9EEoA.png

Looks ace in black primer - tempted to stop here and present the 'Y-Wing Stealth Bomber' and be done with it...

39bnuAE.png

Trying out 'black-basing' for the first time by experimenting with the base (and the one that came with my X-Wing) - very pleased with the result out so will use the same technique on the Y-Wing itself.

GkXsH6l.png

It's not Gold Leader so I have to come up with my own colour scheme. I find the online colour guide for Vallejo to be close to hopeless - I know everyone's monitor etc will show the colours slightly differently but Vallejo seem not to even try. So here I painted up some spoons to see what the colours actually look like. I'm glad I did this as the green is much darker than expected, the reddy/brown more red than I thought and the pink... well it's certainly pink! I'm planning on a fairly standard off-white/weathered hull/fuselage so this is just for the 'stripe'. Let me know if you have any thoughts or preferences. I am leaning slightly to the shocking 'squid pink' as weathered up and dulled down I think the effect might be rather good but also somewhat unexpected but that also might take more skill than I have to pull-off. Choices...

Thanks for looking.

Edited by BrotherMole
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Cool Death Bomber! :D 

I actually really think the pink would look great! A bit different and it'll really pop on the grey

That's the spirit!

I've spent the evening painting a lot of grey - photos tomorrow in daylight. 

Edited by BrotherMole
Added text
  • Like 1

We've seen Pink before in the Star Wars galaxy. Luke, the son of the galaxy's meanest badass Darth Vader, was getting around in a pink X-34 Landspeeder before Kenobi tempted him to take up "the ways of the Force" in the hope that one day Luke would remind Anakin of the heart he once had, sadly only after "agressive negotiations" with a lightsaber.

Looking forward to Pink Squadron commencing its bombing run.

• Like 1

Work continues...

gamhrNv.jpg

The main body was too dark so I mixed a mid-tone between what I had on the head vs the body and lightened it up trying to still hang onto a bit of tonal variation nd shadow.

RUOFbBR.jpg

Top side of the head.

I played about bout with the 'Squid Pink' to get a shade I liked - in the end I mixed the pink 16:1 with dark grey and it really helps carry off that 'used' and 'lived in look'.

I was very disappointed with the HS chipping, as the chips were too large to really sell it - this was MIG heavy chipping fluid so I might see if I can get a 'lighter' chipping fluid or see if it work diluted with distilled water.

im hoping I can 'repair' some of this with sponged on 'undercoat' chips. 

fsWAtMz.jpg

The underside, same paint chip issues. 

iaV9ALF.jpg

Not sure what this is going to do but I do know I'll be giving it a whirl.

Cheers and thanks for looking.

Edited by BrotherMole
Added details
  • Like 6

The chipping looks great to me. It probably just need some finer chips which, like you mentioned, you can sponge on with the base colour.

For the filter, I'd try applying it selectively to different panels, which should add a bit of natural variation to the finish without looking too contrasty.

Andy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

The chipping looks great to me. It probably just need some finer chips which, like you mentioned, you can sponge on with the base colour.

For the filter, I'd try applying it selectively to different panels, which should add a bit of natural variation to the finish without looking too contrasty.

Andy

Thanks for your kind words Andy - applying selectively to panels sounds like a good idea but sadly I painted it all over last night.... I do like the subtle effect though (I'll try to put up a photo later) but I might go back and redo a few panel to change the tone a bit. 

Cheers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BrotherMole said:

Thanks for your kind words Andy - applying selectively to panels sounds like a good idea but sadly I painted it all over last night.... I do like the subtle effect though (I'll try to put up a photo later) but I might go back and redo a few panel to change the tone a bit. 

That's the beauty of filters. The effect is so subtle that you can still go back and re-apply it over some of the panels without the effect becoming too strong.

Andy

• Like 1

A little bit more progress.

VqtPix8.jpg

Here is the cockpit - I wasn't keen on the look of the cockpit decals that I used in the X-Wing so here I though I would try I hand painting. From about 30cm away it looks great but struggles to look so realistic in the close up photo. Still I do think it looks better than the decals. I'm not sure if adding a wash would help and if I was to apply a wash what colour to use - any suggestions gratefully received.

EPuzTnW.jpg

Here is the 'head' after some sponged on 'base' colour chipping and filter (evenly applied, I've not had a chance to try Andy's suggestion yet). I do like the effect from the filter and I learned a fair bit as I went on the chipping regarding amount of paint, size of sponge etc - all in all not too bad but I'd do it a bit differently next time.

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by BrotherMole
typos
  • Like 3

Well its been so hot and humid that I've not done too much over the last week but I finally gave up, cranked the aircon to full on, plus 'dry' and ran it for a couple of hours so I could do some airbrushing. I know you're probably freezing your bums off back home but here in Brisbane, its been the hottest January on record and February looks like setting its own records, most days have been 30C+ at 65%+ humidity... Sunday is forecast for 39C.

Here's where I am up to.

XmX8Tmp.jpg

Pesky masking because I *just* wanted to put it together now... Used the Vallejo Metal Colour and very impressed, sprayed beautifully and looks great; it also brush paints well.

WyxJtuR.jpg

With a coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss on and ready for weathering. I've picked out a few bits that look (to me) to be more 'support strut' than pipe to do in the dirty pink, to help carry the colour though the model and tie the front to the back. 

The base has also been clear coated ready for weathering and I've finished the pilot and droid but I'm not that happy with them, so they need a bit more work - I'm just not sure what.

Cheers.

Edited by BrotherMole
  • Like 4

Alright we're done.

UzkrXIR.jpg

Cockpit before it was all closed up

pO6daZn.jpg

Another view - I'm really rather pleased with how the cockpit turned out - its a useful counter point to my disappointment with the pilot and droid which I had high hopes for but my alternate painting scheme has left looking drab and boring... Live and learn

DCvQQ06.jpg

The 'head', complete with rust and grime streaking.

mFhDwqO.jpg

Done (but for the stand). Overall I like it and I think I'm getting better but I'll be the first to admit the 'terracotta tea-pot' droid isn't really cutting it. 

I'll try to get some RFI pics tomorrow in daylight.

Squid squad is standing by....

Edited by BrotherMole
  • Like 4