f-rSIN A300 Anyone Any Info?

It's an A300-600 so it's significantly different from the Airfix kit. I haven't encountered it personally yet but it was announced prior to Telford.  As far as I know it's the Revell kit with F-RSIN fuselage, fin and stabilisers.

There is information and several photos on the F-RSIN website.  The liveries are tempting and I will probably get Lufthansa and/or Iran Air in due course.  

I'm thinking about buying one too. From the picture on their site, it appears to be the same rough, flash covered short run kit in their usual style but, perservere and it will build into a decent kit. At Telford the models on display looked a bit badly built but that's not the issue.

I fancy the American Airlines version but the kit will require a large amount of surface prep for the natural metal finish. Whenever yours arrives, would you be able to post close up pictures of the kit? This may swing me one way or the other.

Jeff

Hi guys, 

Mine arrived today.  Here's some photos.  Having one other F-RSIN kit, my expectations were rather low. But then, some other short-run companies have made great strides forward recently, so I also held some hope.  Either way, I still commend F-RSIN for providing us with a plastic A300-600, but I'll let you guys make your own minds up.  

The wings and engines donated by Revell are flash-free, so the Beluga moulds seem to have held up well. 

Regards,

Darren

IMG_5491_zpslulgb0mb.jpg

IMG_5493_zpse1tknndx.jpg

IMG_5494_zpsfkdwy1vm.jpg

IMG_5492_zpsxqczlsq5.jpg

IMG_5495_zpsaq5muizz.jpg

IMG_5496_zpsbup5dzqp.jpg

IMG_5497_zpse3lyj8kk.jpg

IMG_5498_zpsdafloiyn.jpg

IMG_5499_zpsxyhrp4pv.jpg

IMG_5500_zps5m9nrxw1.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for posting these photos Darren.

Hopefully without drifting this thread well off course, I often wonder if Revell at some point in time intended to release a -600 version. The wings show some decent details as do the engines but I always felt that just the Beluga wasn't really doing justice to their effort. I've bought only one Beluga but if Revell were to release a -600 then I'd buy several. Still, I shan't hold my breath.

As for the f-rsin kit, the Beluga parts look OK and the decal sheet seems to be OK too...

Jeff 

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
After closer study of the photos Darren posted.
  • Like 1

Thanks Jeff, yes, I agree it is rather baffling that Revell have made so little of the potential available after tooling the wings, engines and gear.  I see the Beluga has only been issued in two boxings, whereas they could have reissued a -600 many times over with revised decals in classic Revell reboxing style.  

Darren

Like Darren, I received this kit today; and as he says, the Revell parts are good. I'm also happy with the F-rsin/Mach2 moulded plastic for fuselage and tailplanes. Yes there are a few blemishes and a bit of flash, but nothing that a sanding stick and a small amount of filler won't fix. The panel lines are finely engraved (a bit too fine for the control surface demarcations, but they're easily deepened with a scriber. The door outlines are very square cornered, I'll fill these and rescribe ronded corners. The control surface trailing edges will benefit from a bit of thinning as per most kits. If you've not tackled an F-rsin plastic kit before this one looks to be a good one to start with as all the detail parts are on the Revell sprues, there's just the airframe parts on the limited run sprue which will be relatively easy to clean up.

I'm less happy with the decals. These are laser printed (not a problem, I've done my own laser decals before now), what has me baffled is how with a single pass printing process the black and yellow has been printed out of register? This is particularly noticable around the windows and doors, and is worse on the left hand side of the sheet compared to the right side. An obvious omission is the @A300-600R titles from the aft fuselage.

Looking on Airliners.net these are still flying in the new Monarch colours which I quite fancy, so I may have a go at this scheme If I can find an appropriate match for the colours. The yellow is straightforward, but what I've seen referred to as black for the lower forward fuselage and titles etc appears to vary to a very dark purple or indigo depending on the lighting. Anybody got  a paint match for this?

• Like 1

Thanks Dave for another viewpoint. These are the type of models I sometimes enjoy building,  ones where a bit of refining, scratch building and the like are required. It all helps to make me feel as if my skills are improving!!

I noticed the decals too. I also noticed a few other things that for me, mean this kit won't be added to my stash. 

On another note, Monarch retired their A300-600 fleet in 2014. It is a nice colour scheme and one that I do wish some decal producer would make even for their narrow body Airbus fleet. Sorry, can't offer definitive colour matches but try adding some black to dark blue (or vice versa). Gloss dark sea blue?

Jeff 

Thanks Dave, agree entirely with your summary, I was just being rather cautious. The decals are probably my biggest disappointment, the registration issue is baffling  as the offset appears to vary across my sheet :hmmm:

I was thinking of just painting the yellow and black cheat lines and using a separate window/door decal set (Drawdecal?), but I hadn't thought about the option of painting the new scheme, though that purple will be hard to match...

Darren

In response to Jeff's point about the lack of good quality Monarch decals that are available, I'm sure I recall that Ray at 26 Decals mentioned he intended to produce several different Monarch ones later this year.

Blame old age and bad memory, but I can't recall where I read this, which particular aircraft types were involved or even whether or not the intended decals would be silk screened  !

Ray might be able to clarify what the current position is; I do find the current Monarch livery to be attractive and I think it would be quite popular in 1/144 scale.....

Don

10 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

I also noticed a few other things that for me, mean this kit won't be added to my stash. 

On another note, Monarch retired their A300-600 fleet in 2014. It is a nice colour scheme and one that I do wish some decal producer would make even for their narrow body Airbus fleet.

Jeff 

Pray do tell Jeff, what have I missed?

Mea culpa, didn't check the dates on Airliners.net, saw the current scheme and thought "still in service"!

Drawdecal do an A321 and 757

1 hour ago, Darren Rhodes said:

the registration issue is baffling  as the offset appears to vary across my sheet :hmmm:

Ditto with mine Darren.

11 minutes ago, aircraftkit said:

I'm sure I recall that Ray at 26 Decals mentioned he intended to produce several different Monarch ones later this year.

Don

If he does I'll be up for some.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aircraftkit said:

In response to Jeff's point about the lack of good quality Monarch decals that are available, I'm sure I recall that Ray at 26 Decals mentioned he intended to produce several different Monarch ones later this year.

Blame old age and bad memory, but I can't recall where I read this, which particular aircraft types were involved or even whether or not the intended decals would be silk screened  !

Ray might be able to clarify what the current position is; I do find the current Monarch livery to be attractive and I think it would be quite popular in 1/144 scale.....

Don

Ahh, so I wasn't imagining it. I read on this forum that Ray (26decals) was planning to release a Monarch current scheme sheet but that was a while back and I began to think I had dreamt it. It sure would be popular! 

3 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Pray do tell Jeff, what have I missed?

Mea culpa, didn't check the dates on Airliners.net, saw the current scheme and thought "still in service"!

Drawdecal do an A321 and 757

Ditto with mine Darren.

If he does I'll be up for some.

Hi Dave, if you mean what have you missed about the model, there's just a few little things I can see that to me aren't up to what I'd accept from a model.

As for Airlinersdotnet search, since they changed the format recently and made it a bit less user friendly (to me anyway) I've stopped using them as a first port of call for searches and viewing newly added pictures and as such I've lost a little bit of track with who flies what and where; I still use other picture websites but A.net was the best.

There's  a few YouTube videos of the last Monarch A300 flight, which was flying around Birmingham iirc. The A300 is one of my favourire aircraft (he says with 10 unbuilt Airfix A300 staring in disbelief at him!!)

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

Trying not to stray too far off topic, I agree with you Jeff about Airlinersdotnet.

I used to use the site as my default photo search choice, but since they changed its format I now use other photo reference sites instead. 

I know it sometimes takes a little time to adjust to "improvements" in re-jigged websites, but despite my best efforts I simply didn't find it any better; indeed for my own requirements I found it a step backwards.  No doubt there are many who disagree with me, and to each his own.

Anyway, back to modelling and the A300.  I agree that Revell missed a trick in not providing a standard A300-600 version themselves, I'm sure there would have been a market for such a kit.

Don

• Like 2