Grumman F6F-5N Nightfighter - 1:48 Eduard Weekend Edition

Julien

F6F-5N Nightfighter  (84133)

1:48 Eduard Weekend Edition

nf1.jpg

With the success of the F6F-3 already in service, the F6F-5 was the natural evolution based on combat experience. Key improvements in the F6F-5 were a more powerful engine utilising a water injection system, revised windscreen that had a single armoured windscreen and spring loaded aileron tabs. The night fighter version came into service in the fall of 1944 was designated the F6F-5N and this was easily identified by the wing mounted AN/APS-6 Radar protruding forwards from the starboard leading edge, and the 20mm canon in the wing. While all F6F-5 aircraft could carry a 20mm Cannon in each wing along with a pair of .50 Cal machine guns, only the night fighter version used this operationally.  The British designated the Night fighter version as the Hellcat NF II. My respect goes out to these pilots. Flying a single engined aircraft over the sea at night must be quite an intimidating experience, let alone with the prospect of combat mixed in.

The Kit
The Eduard kit has now been with us since 2008 and has been regularly re-issued in multiple boxings. The moulds still look good today though. This boxing has the basic plastic plus the edition of resin parts for the guns and radar carried by this version. Construction starts in the cockpit. The seat, rear bulkhead and control column are attached to the cockpit floor. Next the side consoles and instrument panel are added (a decal can be used for the panel if you dont want to paint it), Once the cockpit is complete it can be added into the fuselage halves along with the tail wheel. Dont forget to open the hole for the centre line tank if you want to use it.

nf2.JPG

nf3.JPG

Next up the engine is made up. This has two banks of cylinders to which the gear box is added at the front, along with the shaft for the prop. Once complete this can be added to the front of the fuselage and the cowling built up and added over it. Construction then moves to the rear of the fuselage with the addition of the tail surfaces and rudder.

nf4.JPG

nf5.JPG

The main wings are next on the build schedule. They are conventional upper/lower, left & right. The wheel wells need adding as does the appropriate wing armament before the two sides are glued together. Separate control surfaces are supplied for both wings. Once the wings are on construction moves back to the main fuselage with lights being added to the underside.

nf6.JPG

nf7.JPG

Next step is the construction of the main wheel bays with some additional details. Following this the main wheels are built up and attached to their legs. The gear doors can then be added. Is using it the main fuel tank can be built up and added. Lastly the canopy, prop, and night fighter radar unit can be added.

nf8.JPG

nf9.JPG

Decal options are provided for two aircraft as seems to be the norm for weekend editions now.

• F6F-5N, VF(N)-90, USS Enterprise 1945
  • F6F-5N, Bu.No. 78704 Capt R Baird, VMF(N)-533, Le Shima, Okinawa, June 1945.

nf10.JPG

nf11.jpg

Each option is illustrated with a four-view profile. The decals, which are printed by in house, they look crisp, thin and glossy and the colours used are nice and bold.

Conclusion
This is a great kit from Eduard, good to see it in this configuration. Recommended. 

bin-new.jpg

Masks
If needed masks are also available for this kit.

nf12.JPG

bin-new.jpg

Review samples courtesy of logo.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Antoine said:

Special thanks for the profiles, Julien.

Its not too hard for Eduard kits, but we cant always do it yet as Mike pointed out.

Julien

• Like 1

Thanks Julien,

Grmmmppppffff, I will add this one to my collection.

15 years that I try to stop buying kits:unsure::o

Mission impossible, I'll stop tryin' to stop.

Corsaircorp

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2017 at 21:45, corsaircorp said:

Thanks Julien,

Grmmmppppffff, I will add this one to my collection.

15 years that I try to stop buying kits:unsure::o

Mission impossible, I'll stop tryin' to stop.

Corsaircorp

Yes stop trying to stop! my 2017 not buying kits resolution lasted about 10 days!!

• Like 1