FAA Embraer 195 MRA.5

raptormodeller

Before the back story and photos... I'm back! Enjoy! (I'll probably make a better back story soonish)

Back story!       This back story contains materiel that may not reflect the author's point of view.   

"Hello and welcome to the news at six. Here are the top stories: the RAF welcome's its first P8 Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft to RAF Waddington 7 years after the retirement of the Nimrod MR.2's and the cancellation of the MRA.4 program, the Royal Navy says this aircraft is 'unfit' and 'not capable' of providing accurate and viable maritime patrols. Jeremy Corbyn says the nuclear program is 'unacceptable' and goes 'against the principles of our constitution'. And NHS A&E waiting times have quadrupled." BBC News, July 1st, 2018

" 3 years after this statement, the first pictures of a new maritime patrol aircraft have surfaced, believed to originally be an Embraer 195, this aircraft beat the P1, the P8, the Atlantique 2, the Airbus A350MPA and the Airbus A320MPA in an operational requirement. Many people said this aircraft would be cancelled, but the RN persevered and announced a first flight scheduled later this year" Behind the Army, ITV1, March 26th, 2021.

Boasting an armada of sensors never before seen on a plane, the Vulture is set to revolutionise the art of maritime patrol. One of its most controversial sensors is a 'geometric anomaly detector', a high speed camera that searches for abnormally shapes waves, something which could be linked to the 'wake' of a submarine. Others claim it's simply a laser designator.

What is certain, is that this aircraft has been controversial from the start. The idea that the FAA was to run its own maritime patrol operation sent the economists hiding under their desks. The Royal Navy was adamant however, that they get their plane in service before 2022. 

In tests, the Vulture was shown to be more capable, much more capable than its RAF counterpart. It was 'cheap' too, costing only 45 million a piece. The FAA ordered 15 of them. Only to up this order to 24 after Argentina tried to retake South Georgia and an increase of Russian submarine passing in British territorial waters. Alarmingly, the Vulture had a huge 6 inch cannon, capable of piercing the thick steel of submarines. Something the Russians learnt the hard way when one of their Oscar class submarine was hit by 2 shells, making it impossible for it to dive. 

The kit

It's a 1/144 scale Revell Embraer 195 I picked up of the cheap at a fair. Really nice kit, but marrying the two fuselage halves was a pain in the backside.

Photo!

IMG_8176_zpsa4qtqkmz.jpg

I'll get a better one tomorrow! Promise!

chomp chomp

-raptor

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Interesting project, as an alternative, it would probably look quite elegant in the Maritime and Coastguard Agency's red and white "corporate" colour scheme:

29735930254_b26c2397c3.jpg

@Richard E, I'm thinking a more traditional grey scheme...