A Tale of Three 1/72 Mustangs

These are the completed builds from the recently finished P-51 STGB III which I did not complete on time. The original thread is here which has the work in progress.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235015012-phantomes-triple-172-build-2x-tamiya-p-51d-1x-academy-p-51b/

Quick summary of the three aircraft:

1) P-51D "Jumpin' Jacques" (Tamiya). Built OOB except for Eduard superfabric seatbelts (amazing stuff!). Decals were some spares from a Hasegawa kit. Paints were Mr Metal Color for the NMF and Gunze/Tamiya for everything else. Weathering was done with Flory washes, with Tamiya Smoke for the exhaust stains.

2) P-51D "Detroit Miss" (Tamiya). Same as above except decals from an old Microscale set.

3) P-51B "Bonnie B" (Academy). Same as above except decals from Xtradecals. Color was Gunze H73 as Olive Drab. I was extremely pleased. Gunze totally botched RAF Dark Green (which is what it was supposed to be) and unwittingly created a very nice faded olive drab with just the right amount of green and brown. H73 was also used for the olive drab anti-glare in the other two aircraft. Weathering was done with Humbrol enamel wash.

There are a few inaccuracies in the markings, some my fault some from the decals.In particular I was not pleased with Detroit Miss as the markings seem somewhat oversized. Also I think the Bonnie B markings on this set are incorrect (no locomotive kill mark and Bonnie B should be white). I used TallyHo decals for the insignia of the first two planes which ended up being noticeably translucent (and did not conform to panel lines). Terrible stuff.

Anyway, were fun builds and reminded me why the Tamiya 1/72 Mustang is my favorite kit in the universe (and the Academy P-51B is nearly as good)

IMG_20170121_132333.jpg

IMG_20170121_132527.jpg

IMG_20170121_132542.jpg

IMG_20170121_132556.jpg

IMG_20170121_132656.jpg

IMG_20170121_132708.jpg

IMG_20170121_132729.jpg

Edited by Phantome
  • Like 20

45 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Very impressive builds. Jumpin' Jacques is my favourite

It is my favorite Mustang of all. Loved it ever since I got my hands on a Hasegawa kit back in the 90s. It's a shame there's no aftermarket decals in 1/72 scale, although Superscale does one for 1/48 which I will definitely get around to using one day...

Of the three builds I think the one I am most proud of is Bonnie B, mostly because doing the invasion stripes was such a pain!

• Like 1