Special Hobby Sopwith Tabloid

Here's my recently completed Special Hobby Sopwith Tabloid; I started this kit probably 15 years ago but didn't like how the rib tapes were molded so I sanded them thinner and the model sat while I tackled other projects.  Photos in the Mini-Datafile show these a/c having lightly colored rib taped so I went over them with a white pencil.  The deck and sides were highlighted with a brown pencil to pick out some details as well.  Rigging done with .005mm fishing line, ceramic wire and EZ Line.   Decals were minimal as a/c this early in the Great War weren't using the Union Jack so I just redid the kits decals to make up RNAS 168.  This is a model of the a/c that was used to bomb the Zeppelin sheds.

fullsizeoutput_75a_1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_76e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_76e.jpegfullsizeoutput_770.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_76f.jpeg

Edited by cduckworth
adding photos for the first time
  • Like 27

Lovely work on a rare and deserving subject. Your subtle weathering and effects really give this one a great finish.

May I ask how easily the kit went together?

While it appears to be an easy built;  the rear of the fuselage was very tricky to get the rudder to line up properly.  Same with the horizontal stabilizer; I had to file down the top of the fuselage where the stabilizer fits to get it to be flush with the top of the deck.   I'd also recommend pre-drilling the rigging holes as I hadn't done so and this would have made the rigging easier.    

• Like 2

Nicely done!

You might have given me the KUTA that I need to complete mine. I also did not like the representation of the rib tapes and have sanded them off and replaced them with strips of decal sheet. In this case I have used white decal to represent the brighter colour seen on them. 

Christian, exiled to africa

Excellent build of one of the early machines. I too like the oil stains and the semi-translucent effect under the wings. I have plans to scratch build one of these in God's Own Scale at some time in the future.........

P

Beautifully done!

I just finished a Classic Plane vac in 1:72 and also finished it as 168. Two Tabloids in RFI within a month....unheard of!

Ian