Antisubmarine Douglas O38E, Haiti 1942-43, Ardpol 1/72

JWM

Hi,

In 1942 Haiti started organizing their airforces from Garde d'Haiti. The first equipment was a group of  biplane Douglas O-38E received from US, which immediately started antisubmarine sorties over Caribbean Sea and this region of Atlantic Ocean.

I've learnt about it some years ago reading something about Battle for Atlantic in Net. There was a page about Latin American share in battle for Atlantic - now I  cannot find it again. Nevertheless - I have found another page with photo and colour profile and even with scratchbuild model. More can be read here, especially in post by Juchan which I appreciate very much. He clarified my doubts: 

When I realised that Ardpol is producing Douglas O-38E - the late variant of O-38 with completly re-worked aerodynamics (completly new fuselage for instance) I desperatly needed it. The Ardpol is a small family business located in my home city Krakow (like also Choroszy Modelbud) - so I bought the kit about year ago and soon start work on it. But then I have some months break... 

This is resin kit, very delicate and detailed. In box you will find only pre war US decals.  In presented here model there are home made early-style Haitian national insignia (Czech markings were the base for them).  Depth charges Mk XVII by Attack Squadron. I added aerials, Pitot tube and landing lamps. The photo exists for no 4001, but the 3012 was one of existing Haitanian O-38 E and such number I was able to find in my drawer (decal set - Techmod "US Numbers yellow")...

Here is the result:

douglas o38e DSC04186douglas o38e DSC04187

douglas o38e DSC04182douglas o38e DSC04183douglas o38e DSC04184douglas o38e DSC04185

douglas o38e DSC04188

As always - I made propeller rotable :)

douglas o38e DSC04189

And family photo - two Ardpol Douglases O 38 (B and E):

douglas o38 x2 DSC04190

Coments welcome

Regards

Jerzy Wojtek

Edited by JWM
switch to Flickr
  • Like 31

Many thanks Gents for comments and likes - I appecieate them all.

Thanks also to my Brother for finding mispelled words (in PM) :) I hope that I corrected all. 

Cheers

J-W

On 22.01.2017 at 4:24 PM, JWM said:

Many thanks Gents for comments and likes - I appecieate them all.

Thanks also to my Brother for finding mispelled words (in PM) :) I hope that I corrected all. 

Cheers

J-W

Actually not all, but don't worry, Bro :) Building so exotic models is much more important than writing about them :)

Cheers

Michael

PS. The Chinese one looks still more typical for the O-38

Edited by KRK4m
aesthetics :)
  • Like 2

Hi Jerzy!!!!

Its nice to  see you back  here and in great shape!!!

I have watched this beautiful rendition you  did about this nice aircraft and really is impressed about how  nice work is  done from the resin kit you got. I have not been so affective for this kind of kit but as everything is advancing in this today's world, have to say that one day will followyour  steps working trying to build  something made from this material.

Have been watching your excellent work and really enjoyed all since the historical background to the end of the build,  the finnesse of detail coupled with your craftsmanship abilities makes here a beautiful work that really excelled. I liked the way you have painted the model and the little and delicate detailed parts you added, really a gem of a build.

Thank you very much for sharing and have a nice and wonderful new year full of health, happiness, work and free time to build many more masterpieces!!!

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso 

• Like 1

Luis-Alfonso - many thanks. I am very glad that you comment it so nicely. Somehow I was dedicated this machine in my mind to you, since it is a one of very few Latin American WWII machines in my already done and even in planned collection and perhaps the only one from Caribbean region :).  

The Ardpol resin kits are a bit different from many other resin kits - they are very delicate in details and thus very fragile and you need to operate with them carfully. The tailing edges in many resin kits are rather thick - it is not here. A small part of a tailing edge region of  tailplane of second Douglas O38 I have constructed recently broke apart  and it was very difficult to reconstruct it...

Cheers - thanks for  wishies and I wish you also all the best in 2017 with a lot of happy modelling!

J-W

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JWM said:

Luis-Alfonso - many thanks. I am very glad that you comment it so nicely. Somehow I was dedicated this machine in my mind to you, since it is a one of very few Latin American WWII machines in my already done and even in planned collection and perhaps the only one from Caribbean region :).  

The Ardpol resin kits are a bit different from many other resin kits - they are very delicate in details and thus very fragile and you need to operate with them carfully. The tailing edges in many resin kits are rather thick - it is not here. A small part of a tailing edge region of  tailplane of second Douglas O38 I have constructed recently broke apart  and it was very difficult to reconstruct it...

Cheers - thanks for  wishies and I wish you also all the best in 2017 with a lot of happy modelling!

J-W

Hi My Friend Jerzy!!!

Thank you very much for your kindness!!! Its nice that you have combined your modeling preferences between the limits of ww II aircraft with Latin American Aviation. Have watched some nice models from ARDPOL, but haven't knew that they are based in your nice city. Thank you very much for your wonderful  wishes and for your nice friendship, a special one that have to do with Jazz and Modeling!!! Please  extend my greetings to Michael and family too.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1