Supermarine 535

John R

In response to one of my posts it was mentioned that Contrail produced a vacform kit. Can anyone please tell me anything about it. Did it exist? Was it good or bad? Does anyone have lurking in their stash that they could be persuaded to part with?

John

Somebody made one! Mike Stow published a picture of his prototypes with a 535 amongst them. When I queried its origin he said it was done a long time ago but he thought it was Contrail but I can find no evidence, hence the query.

I used to have a Maintrack catalogue but I suspect that it was 'decluttered'. Whirlybird do some of the Maintrack kits but not all as the masters of some have gone AWOL. 

Regarding scratchbuilding I reckon it could be done with bits of Attacker and Swift but the problem, as I see it, is the intakes which were halfway between the two. Not insuperable but I thought that I would try every alternative first.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Need to check Hygate but I suspect you'd need two Attacker fuselages and the nose/wings of a Swift

Quick check of the Hygate book reveals if you cut the Swift fuselage just aft of the wing root trailing edge and Attacker fuselage just aft of the engine bay, you should get a cut and shut that matches when you graft the Swift front end to the Attacker back end.  Then it's just a bit of fiddling about with the tail surfaces and then sorting out the intakes.  Depends which kits you use (I'm going old school with Testors and Frog/Novo as the plastic is thick) but that's a rough guide.

Alternatively, an Xtrakit Swift (Hannants were kamikazeing the prices) with an AZ Attacker should do.  IIRC, the latter has separate intake lips which should make things easier. 

The 535 intake arrangement is so different from the Swift that I think I would rather go with an Attacker fuselage mated to Swift wings, but even they have differences to the 535.

The only 535 I've seen made was by using the 510 kit and adding a new nose (scratch plasticard I think) and extending the tail pipe.

VV119 was originally started as a 510 and completed as the very similar 528, the main difference at that stage was the inboard wing planform, and either the fuselage length or outline shape - haven't determined which.

It was later modified as the 535 with tricycle u/c and reheat, associated extended tail pipe area, modified intakes, and new nose section. Also had the dummy wing cannon covers.

The 535 is my favourite of the family, not least due to it's starring role in The Sound Barrier film.