M.S. 406 References Sought, For Early Production Particularly

Old Man

I came upon two photographs of Morane Saulnier 406s in Algeria in the spring of 1939.

Screenshot%20103_zpsxpgwqdde.png

Screenshot%20101_zps4e52gg8h.png

These are screen-caps to preserve the captioned information, and were taken from this site:

https://www.traditions-air.fr/unit/photo/012.htm#5

Also from this site, another Morane with a low serial number, location unknown, and a table showing station of the units at various times.

Screenshot%20100_zpsqeq36m90.png

Screenshot%20102_zpszousk0io.png

It seems an interesting and out of the usual way subject for a model. I do not know much about the type, however.

What are good, available references for the 406 (preferably in English, though I can muddle a little in French)?

Is there any reference with a table matching series numbers (on the rudder) with serial numbers (under the wings)? I have monographs on the Ni-D 62 family, and on the Dewoitine 500 series, which have such tables.

These are early production machines, given the low series numbers. I know French camouflage varied a great deal, but it seems to me machines built about the same time at the same factory ought to be at least similar. The tight wavy line and hard edges seem distinctive. Has anyone got full views of an early production MS 406?

Not that much references already in French. Then in english...

The best reference is a LELA presse book, but it's OOS since a few months.

lela_m10.jpg

There also this reference from LELA.

But it's more of an operationnal reference, and concern GC III/7 only.

You've got also an Apali Oy book, with a small translation in english, but it's in evidence centered around Finnish MS.

Thank you for the suggestions, Gentlemen. The Lela book looks choice, but a bit rich. I have seen notice a French Wings number on the MS406 is due out in May, and I will certainly acquire that.

I may have found just now one of the things I was looking for, in this photograph:

MS405Untitled.FR10-273_zpszgolo6z1.jpg

The picture in my header post above of the Morane with series number 28 shows the last two figures of its underwing serial as 78. If, as I suspect, the series/serials for the 405 batch ran on into early 406 production, a series number 28 would give an underwing serial of N278. With the last two digits matching, I think it within modeling reason to take the matches for the two Morane 406 in the pictures above as No. 28 --- N278 and No. 31 --- N281.

Camouflage characteristics remain. I have read that the early production MS 406 were camouflaged in 'patches of dark brown and green over khaki', whatever that means. But it does seem grey is absent from the upper surfaces.

It also seems that No. 31 --- N281 has the miniature roundels on the upper surfaces of its wings.

Edited by Old Man

This seems helpful as well,,,

Screenshot%20104_zpsrlobh2ng.png

It confirms the rudder series, anyway. The text seems to suggest a single color upper surface, but different grey tones are clear in the photograph, The wavy line is certainly the same.

The Lela book does have a list of MS-405/406 Matricules - think of them as a military serial assigned to an individual aircraft, so that usually if you know the aircraft construction number, you can - maybe - figure out the Matricule, and vice versa.

The Matricules started with the first production MS-405 (No. 1) at N-251.  The next, No. 2, was N-252.  That continued up through the change to the MS-406 designation (No. 16, N-266) to MS-406 No. 30, N-280. 

The Matricule then jumps to N-342 for MS-406 No. 31 and continues in lockstep to No. 102 N-419.  The list in the Lela book shows question marks for MS-406's No 103 and 104, then picks up at No. 105 with N-423 ( which is, of course, one digit too much, but that's what it says). From there, it seems to go in lockstep up to No 183, N-504.  Then there are more question marks for No 184 through 194; No 195 starts at N-556, which means there was a significant jump.  The series continues to No. 290 N-708, then question marks but No. 301 is N-719 which is in sequence.  Then there's a whole series of question marks from No. 302 to 353, with only a couple of N- Matricules that don't seem to fit in.  The progression picks up again at No. 354 N-772 to No 581 N-999.  Beginning with No. 582, the Matricule switches to an L series with L-521, through No. 931 L-960.  There's more, of course, but I think the ones you are interested in are in the earlier series (oddly, a late entry, No 1061, makes a unique return to the N series at N-341).

So with reference to your two examples, No. 28 is indeed N-278, but No. 31, because of the jump, is N-342.

As far as camouflage, the tight wavy line on the rear fuselage is an indication of 'vert-kaki' uppersurfaces (over 'gris-blue clair' undersurfaces), without 'gris fonce' and 'brun' added in.  These other colors started appearing, if I'm reading this correctly, at about No. 60 N-371.  So both the aircraft you cite should have khaki-green uppers only.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thank you very much, Sir.

That is exactly what was needed.

The one I am most interested in doing is 31, because of the certain location in North Africa, and because the escadrille emblem is simple, and won't tax the limits of home-brew decals too much. The single color will certainly be easier as well.

Good to know I guessed right on the other one.

I wonder if the jump in the matricule series owes to production being shifted to SNCAO, and a larger, follow on contract being issued. Anyway, that does not affect the modeling.

Again, thank you very much for your assistance. It was the basic markings I was looking for. When I do this, it will be an old Heller kit, and while I will detail it a bit, I don't intend to go over-board. Still intend to get the French Wings number when it comes out. I have their Nieuport-Delange offering, and like it.