Humbrol Washes - User Experience.

sailorboy61

Ok, so right away I know to steer clear, but just happened to need one and there just happened to be some in the shop.

Had it a couple of months, unopened (yes, thats how much I needed it), and its practically solid, well totally seperated pigment and enamel. Can stir it back together but its like tar.

Wrote to my dear friends at Hornby, who are investigating, and in the meantime here's a replacement. guess what, its the same. It does not come anywhere near close to being a wash, or have I got it all wrong, am I supposed to thin it before use. All other brands of wash I've had are from the bottle, thinner than water, not needing a knife to spread!

Is this just how it is, or am I best cutting mylosses, buying 'proper' washes or even making my own?

You could be out of luck there, with either a bad batch or a poorly formulated wash.  My old Mig washes go a bit separated, but they always return to normal after a jolly good shake (put a glass or stainless steel BB in to help with mixing).  If the replacement is as bad as the original,  it might be an idea to decamp to a well-respected alternative from the myriad we have access to these days :)

We did review the washes when they first came out, but I'd have to find it to see who did the review in order to ask them if theirs have gone squiffy in the interim.  Some of my Mig bottles must be getting on for 8 years old and they still work.

• Like 1

Just used a bit this morning, well thinned down, colour is nice, but pretty gritty. Don't think I shall be using them further. They are also quite expensive compared to what you can get Mig / Ammo washes for, and as the Sgt. would say, much more than mixing up your own from oils.  Talking of which, our local Hobbycraft had a good lot of Rowney artists oils on clearance yesterday, 32 a tube, so snaffled a further few colours.